Online lecture on API design

I gave a lecture on framework design at the Redmond’s Microsoft Research Center. They recorder and posted it on the Research Channel. You can see it here. It’s more than 3 hours long, but I think you will find it worth the time.  Let me know what you think.

1. Krzysztof Cwalina (co-author of Framework Design Guidelines) recently did a talk for the Microsoft Research

2. Marcos Meli says:

After reading your book and watching some other presentations I´m sure that work watch you talk for 100 hours =)

I really apreciate this share, bookmarked for the weekend

Keep in the outstanding work, I cant express how much I love API design and Simplicity from your perspective.

Marcos

3. Tom Kirby-Green says:

I agree 100% with Marcos’s comment. It’s a real service to the programming community, not just .NET, making this available. Your book was one of the best I read in 2006 and has been the cause of some enjoyable personal agonizing over my own humble API designs since reading it. This is a subject area I can never read / listen / watch enough about so once again a big thank you!

4. Tom Kirby-Green says:

Krzysztof, the further into the video I get the more I wish I could have this available to watch and refer back to off-line. Is there any chance MS could make available say just the audio track and slides (or even just the audio, i.e. a .WMA file) as actual downloads?

Kind regards,

tom

5. Krzysztof Cwalina is leading the effort to develop, promote, and apply the design guidelines to the .NET

6. mihailik says:

It would be great to watch it on Pocket PC. You know, sitting the whole 3 hours startting to screen is not practical.

Could you, please, make it available for download?

Thanks a lot!

7. David says:

I second the download option!

8. Dave says:

Great presentation.  Maybe I’m weird, but I’d love to buy a sort-of "Books on Tape" version of the Framework Guidelines to listen to while at work.

Thanks for your efforts.

9. Matt T says:

Don’t usually provide comments, but I have to say that is one of the best presentations on API and framework design I’ve seen.  Keep up the good work.

10. I’ll ++ to the download option. I can’t watch the video as it buffering every 10 seconds. I have a very fast connection, so I have no idea why the latency is so high…

Thanks for your great work, I really enjoyed your&BradA book.

11. Krzysztof has been recorded for MS Research and gives an excellent presentation on framework design.

12. Mike Weller says:

I agree with the above comments, really interesting and useful presentation, even for non-dotnet people.

13. Steve says:

I’d like to see more on exceptions versus return values in API design as I’ve encountered (ever since C++ went mainstream in 1990) many APIs, in-house and 3rd party, that suffer from returning every failure via an exception.

14. Matthew Knapp says:

I am reading Framework Design Guidelines where you talk about the (lack of) usability testing of the System.IO namespace.  I felt a warm feeling inside while reading it because still to this day I can not manage to write code to open a text file without going back to look at previous examples.  I always thought I was just an idiot…turns out I am amoung friends!  So my question is – did anything ever happen to improve the usability of the System.IO namespace after your usability testing?

15. netvance says:

Excelent presentation, thanks for adding it to your blog. Looking forward for some more later.

16. Krzysztof Cwalina says:

Thanks for all the good words about the presentation. I will try to get an offline version of the netcast, but it might take some time.

Matthew, File.ReadAllText and similar APIs were added to alleviate the usability problems.

17. KBac says:

Initially I thought that 3 hours of a presentation is an overkill, but I got nicely surprised. The lecture was comprehensive and touched many issues I needed to face as an SDK developer.

I cannot wait to get through the book.

Thanks a lot for this and keep the great work.

18. Hey Krzysztof!

I finally got the video to show up and I’m glad I did!  Thanks for sharing this with us, it’s really helpful for the community and not just .NET

I can’t wait to watch your next presentation!

Thanks again.

19. Buu Nguyen says:

Nice presentation!  Although I had to give up after 1h30min.  Will check it again later but wish to be able to view the video/slides offline.  (Don’t try to be rude, but it’s even better if there are only the slides with your voice instead of having too look at two different movies :-))

20. Thanuja says:

KC,

this has nothing to do with the presentaion:) Instead l would like to know with the .NET 3.0 is introduced to developer community now, what  would be the changes you suggest for current coding standards or design guidlines. Prefer new blog entry:)

21. Krzysztof has been recorded for MS Research and gives an excellent presentation on framework design.

22. A lecture on API design by Krzysztof Cwalina (the brains behind the Framewok Design Guidelines ) has

23. Mitch Wheat says:

Would love to watch this: Please, Please provide it as a download!

24. I have good news for all who asked about an off line version of the API design lecture I blogged about

25. Krzysztof Cwalina says:

Sorry that it took so long, but I got the lecture setup so it can be downloaded to view offline. See http://blogs.msdn.com/kcwalina/archive/2007/06/01/FDGLecture.aspx

26. Krzysztof Cwalina is leading the effort to develop, promote, and apply the design guidelines to the

27. I am starting to feel pressure to finish up slides for my presentation at the upcoming TechEd in Barcelona.

28. I am starting to feel pressure to finish up slides for my presentation at the upcoming TechEd in Barcelona

29. I gave a lecture on framework design at the Redmond’s Microsoft Research Center. They recorder and posted it on the Research Channel . You can see it here . It’s more than 3 hours long, but I think you will find it worth the time. Let me know what yo