WebMatrix is a free web tool from Microsoft. In one sentence: it’s an all-in-one tool you can use to download, install and tweak and publish a website based on an open source app like WordPress, Umbraco, Drupal, … OR program your own site with an easy-to-use Razor syntax and ASP.NET Web Pages. Now that’s a mouthful!
What does WebMatrix 2.0 Beta bring?
The beta version brings us a load of new, useful features to build sites even faster. I highly recommend watching the recording of the BUILD conference session: “WebMatrix: uber geek in designer clothes”.
A pick out of the new features:
- Editor: HTML5, CSS3, jQuery code completion out of the box
- ASP.NET Web Pages and Razor: new site templates, NuGet packages support. Read through the details: The Top Features in Web Pages 2 Developer Preview
- PHP code completion and documentation access (from php.net)
- Extensibility for open source packages to add their own code completion
- New database editing interface
- Open and edit a remote site
- Extensibility framework allows you to use C# and Visual Studio to develop extensions for WebMatrix
- Much more
Give it a try
This is Beta, in that context there is no automated installation procedure foreseen so make sure you read the installation notes. It also means that you might have to manually uninstall previous versions. Other than that you should not be having issues with other programs. Note: if you prefer to continue using the released version 1.0, you can download it here.
Download and try it out for yourself:
- Download and install WebMatrix 2.0 Beta
- Start building:
- Build your first site using Razor and ASP.NET Web Pages 2.0
- Start from an open source package like Umbraco, Drupal, WordPress or one of the many others available.
- Publish your site
Recommended article: check out how Scott Hanselman is using WebMatrix and ASP.NET Web Pages with Razor syntax to upgrade an old site: Hanselminutes.com: Rewriting a 5 year old VB.NET WebForms application as an ASP.NET Web Pages application with Razor
Talk to us! Let the WebMatrix team know what you think should be added to the product at https://webmatrix.uservoice.com/forums/128313-webmatrix-suggestions