Last week, the Windows Phone Developer team announced the availability of Windows Phone OS 7.1 codenamed Mango for registered Windows Phone developers. This means that as of now, registered developers can update their retail device to the Beta 2 of Mango.
Here are some details about this program:
- You must have an active, validated App Hub account. Visit our membership page to become a registered Windows Phone developer.
- Download and Update your development environment to the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 Beta 2 (formerly known as the Windows Phone Developer Tools).
- If you’re registered for Windows Phone Marketplace, you’ll receive an invitation from Microsoft Connect that will provide access to a firmware update for your retail Windows Phone device (only one phone per developer).
Make sure you read all the steps in detail before upgrading your phone. I took the time to go through the document fully before starting any download and must admit following each step as described worked out to perfection. I’m now a happy Mango tester!
> Read the full announcement at the Windows Phone developer blog: Developers Get Goody Basket Full of Mangos.
Special offer for students: get a free developer device
Another great announcement, students can get a free special Mango developer device, by creating a mock-up for the next Windows Phone app!
Here’s what to do:
- Make sure you’re registered for DreamSpark,
- Download and install Expression Studio Ultimate and the new Mango Windows Phone Developer Tools (available free as a member of DreamSpark)
- Get the free Sketchflow Template for Windows Phoneand create a Sketchflow mock-up of your app
- Post the Sketchflow mock-up somewhere online and tweet out the link using the hash tag #WPAppItUp
- The team will review all prototypes and will contact the developers who submit the best ones and send them a special Mango developer device
- Creating Windows Phone Applications Using Expression Blend – Unni Ravindranathan’s talk at MIX11
- The Windows Phone Developer Tools Beta 2
- What’s New in the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 Public Beta 2 Release
- Overview of the Windows Phone 7.1 Beta (Mango) developer documentation, great post with loads of resources
So, what are you going to BUILD on Mango?