Silverlight 2 Beta 1 Control Samples

My sample and its source is now live on! It show case a variety of controls we have built for the Silverlight 2 Beta 1. We have quite an good set of controls. It shouldn’t surprise my readers to know that we have a DatePicker and a Calendar. 🙂 And yes, I am the PM for those features. So for those of you who are sick of using my Silverlight 1.1 Calendar/DatePicker. Pick up the latest Silverlight 2 Beta 1!

Silverlight Control Demo Sample
Uploaded on March 5
Created by: Kathy Kam

A sample of twenty-four Silverlight 2 controls that can be viewed live together with the source code used to drive the controls.

Check out other samples here:

Also, as mentioned by ScottGu this morning. You can download the source and unit tests to all the controls here:

Love to hear what you think! I am excited to see applications people build with these controls. Tell me what you are building!

1. Page Brooks says:

Silverlight 2 Controls – First Impressions

2. Aaadi says:

SilverLight 2.0 Controls are awesome, i was creating SilverLight player with third party controls and facing couple of readblocks but now it is easy to implement with SL 2.0 controls library.

3. Kudos on the release!

I realize this is a beta, and you’re probably already aware of this…

I’ve noticed some control rendering anomalies.  For example, in Visual Studio 2008, during design-time, the control looks fine.  However, at run-time it appears fuzzy, as if the anti-aliasing is off.  Once I run the web app, the rendering is off is VS08 design mode as well.

Here’s a comparison:

Zooming in, you’ll noticed the differences if it’s not apparent at 100%.

In any case, anti-aliasing notwithstanding, the controls are a great improvement over what was originally available.  And, I’m positive the issues will be eventually resolved.

4. Garry Trinder says:

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! 🙂

5. RockoWPB says:

Could someone at MS port these over to WPF from Silverlight? Why don’t we have a native Calender, Datepicker and Datagrid in WPF but we do in Silverlight!

6. KathyKam says:

Hi Edward,

Thanks for letting me know about the anomalies. 🙂 This is indeed a Beta, but it is still good to know when our customers run into issues. I have notified the VS team about the anomaly you are seeing.

7. Craig Quillen says:

Doesn’t seem to work on my XP x64 box in ie7.  Just get a blank white screen after installing the beta.

8. You’ve been kicked (a good thing) – Trackback from

9. CodeSane says:

Sliverlight 1.0 was released last year and provided an environment for providing a Rich Media Experience

10. Ben Hayat says:

Kathy, you are using four images in this project. I see them as part of the clientbin for runtime, but I don’t see them as part of the design package. Therefore when I compile the solution, I don’t see any of those four images throught the project, i.e. the image control page shows empty.

So, is there a problem or did you forget to include the four image as part of SL project?

Thanks and looking forward to your answer!

11. KathyKam says:

Hi Ben,

Thanks for letting me know. The four images are located in the client bin of the web app. Once you compile it, you should run it via the web app.

12. Aaron says:

I’ve noticed that the Scolling Text Box (Bonus) sample doesn’t seem to work?

I can type in the text box but when I get near the bottom, I can continue to type, but it won’t automatically scroll to my position?

Why is there no right-click, "Copy cut paste" menu on text boxes? That inconsistency is going to drive me (and users) nuts unfortunately.

13. Kathy Kam says:

Now that I have recovered from the excitement of Las Vegas, I thought I’ll sit down and give a run down

14. Now that I have recovered from the excitement of Las Vegas, I thought I'll sit down and give a run

15. Later today, I present @ VS Live the following talk … Building Rich Internet Application using Microsoft

16. CodeSane says: