Annoucing "Acropolis" for building composite client application!

After months of blogging silence, I am happy to be able to blog again.

As I have mentioned before, in the past 6 months, I have been working on an unannouced project. Today, I’m proud to annouce that the project is finally public for the world to use!

So what exactly is this project? “Acropolis” is a set of components and tools that enables you to build composite client application. Great client application has three main components. It has to be cheap to build, easy to manage and offers a high quality user experience. “Acropolis” plans to address all three areas. We plan on delivering a rich design-time toolset to help you compose the application beyond the UI. We have an architecture that enables developers to build their application in a composite manner making it easy to build. Finally, it offers prebuilt common components and services, that developers can use to deliver great user experiences in minimal cost and also makes the application easy to manage.

As the PM for the “User experience” pillar, I will blog more about our features around this area in coming days.

Download Acropolis from http://windowsclient.net/Acropolis and let me know what you think.

1. If you’re writing winforms ("smart client") apps, then hopefully you’re aware of the Smart Client Composite

2. Tim Binkley-Jones says:

I’ve heard the rumors, and have been patiently waiting for the release.  I’ll have to carve out some time soon to download and play with the CTP.

3. For some time people have been asking us what our plans are for supporting WPF within SCSF / CAB. In

4. Robert says:

Okay, maybe this is totally a newbie question, but how would you put the RssEagle sample (for example) onto an asp.net page (C#).  I followed the whole tutorial, but it seems to just show you how to make this into an applciation, but I want to use Acropolis to design content for my asp.net web sites.  I’m using Visual Studio Orcas Professional as my IDE.  If someone could point me in the right direction here I would appreciate it.  Thanks in advance.

Robert

5. KathyKam says:

Right now "Acropolis" is a client technology. So you will not be able toput it onto an ASP.net page.

6. Sam says:

I can’t find the RssEagle example anywhere.  I looked in My Documents, VisualStudio Orcas -> Projects, and even Microsoft Acropolis CTP1 folders, and it is nowhere to be found.  Is it a separate installation or download?

Sam

7. Sam says:

Nevermind, as i posted that, i found the extractable file.

8. George says:

Is Acropolis planning to be a web-based solution as well?

9. I’ve known about, tracked and been briefed on Acropolis for a year now. I’m obviously interested given both my Smart Client preferences as well as our extensive use of CAB + SCBAT in our composite Enterprise type of client. Microsoft finally announced