Our Team Foundation Server (TFS) cube has been running just fine. But a couple of days ago, right after we updated the passwords on the service account, it stopped updating the cube. Here I’ll briefly describe how I found the problem, and also what appears to be the fix.
In order to find the problem, I downloaded the Admin Report Pack and installed the Cube Status report. You can find much more information on this report in Grant Holliday’s post: Administrative Report Pack for Team Foundation Server 2010.
When I ran this report, I saw error messages like this:
[Incremental Analysis Database Sync]:
Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Server.WarehouseException: TF221122: An error occurred running job Incremental Analysis Database Sync for team project collection or Team Foundation server TEAM FOUNDATION.
Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Server.WarehouseException: Failed to Process Analysis Database ‘Tfs_Analysis’.
Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Server.WarehouseException: Internal error: The operation terminated unsuccessfully.
OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error: A network-related or instance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct and if SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. For more information see SQL Server Books Online.; 08001; Client unable to establish connection; 08001; Encryption not supported on the client.; 08001.
Errors in the high-level relational engine. A connection could not be made to the data source with the DataSourceID of ‘Tfs_AnalysisDataSource’, Name of ‘Tfs_AnalysisDataSource’.
It seems to indicate that there is a network-related issue. However, all we did was change the password on the service accounts running TFS and SSAS.
Here is what I did:
- Change the service account for Analysis Services from a domain account to Local System.
- Restart SSAS
After that, everything started to work just fine. I then set the service account back to the domain account, using the updated password, and everything is continuing to run correctly. What I didn’t try, and what may work just fine, is to simply restart the Analysis Services service. If I run into this error again, I’ll try that fix (I’ve had reports from some other people that restarting the service is enough to fix this problem).