Windows 8 on Acer Aspire One Netbook – Screen Resolution etc…

I was anxious to see what real memory usage would look like on my low end netbook.  It was better than Windows 7!  Less than 500M.  One problem I had was the native resolution of my netbook is1024X600 and the will not load Windows Store applications at that resolution.  I found a registry setting however to get higher non-native resolutions: “Display1_DownScalingSupported”.  As with any registry change make sure you back up the registry first before making changes.  I searched the registry and changed the value from 0 to 1 where I found it and restarted.  Now I can get 1024X768 and 1152X864.

Let me know if this helped you!

1. Matthew says:

thanks sooo much! i downloaded it and for the longest time lived with the apps not running but this worked thnx!

2. eric says:

can you show me step by step how to do that screen resolution adjustment…….

3. jpsanders says:

Sure Eric!

Note that making errant registry changes can disable your system so be extremely careful!  You are responsible for making and changes to your system.

Here is how I did it:

Windows Key + R brings up the Run dialog, type: Regedit

Scroll to the top and click on 'Computer'

From the menu above choose 'Edit' then 'Find' (or 'Ctrl + F')

In the Find dialog type: Display1_DownScalingSupported

Hit the Find Next button (it will search for that text and may take some time)

When it finds the Key, click on the name in the right side and it will bring up a dialog that allows you to modify the value.  Change it to 1

Hit F3 to continue the search and change that value to 1 for each Display1_DownScalingSupported key found.

4. In comfort says:

in comfort in using this resolution on net book buddy

5. gustavo Duenas says:

What kind of windows 8 is for an acer aspire…64 or 32 bits?

Gus

6. jpsanders says:

You would need to look up your model on the Acer website, look at the data sheet and see what it supports.  Regardless of what it supports however, I would recommend the 32 Bit OS because these machines do not have a lot of RAM.

7. Nahid says:

Thank u very very much.

8. Frank Holde3n says:

Love it ….. It works

9. AndroidFan123 says:

worked for be but the quality got bad 🙁

10. rozermartin says:

Hey that was really so helpful. Thanks for sharing your experience with handy tip. It worked great. Keep posting further

<a href="prezi.com/…/">Sunrise PC Support</a>

11. joe cain says:

what do you do for windows 8.1.  there is no Display1_DownScalingSupported key in the registry.

12. zack says:

hey do acer aspire one d255 support window 8.

13. jpsanders says:

@zack.  You need to contact Acer to determine that!

14. siion says:

Windows Key + R brings up the Run dialog, type: Regedit

Scroll to the top and click on 'Computer'

From the menu above choose 'Edit' then 'Find' (or 'Ctrl + F')

In the Find dialog type: Display1_DownScalingSupported

Hit the Find Next button (it will search for that text and may take some time)

all are i do but iam ot sucses

15. kugis says:

although I enter the regedit  I could not find the key . and it says finished find through registry

16. jpsanders says:

@kugis if it is an Acer Aspire One it should be there.  When I get a chance I will grab that machine and see what the exact path is so you can try and add it.

17. jpsanders says:

@kugis,

On my machine the regentry was here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlVideo{3F8615D2-DC34-40B8-8B7C-E82429F4B02F}001

So you may be able to create an entry: Display1_DownScalingSupported and set it (as a DWORD).

My guess is that if it was not there already then your graphics driver does not support it.

About the quality…  Your display only has so many pixels.  This simply squishes the display and simulates that number of physical pixels.  No magic here.  You cannot get pixels that don't exist on your display so the tradeoff is the quality of the image as the adapter interpolates the display pixels.

18. kugis says:

I didn't get it . I only have HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlVideo{03B30E1E-E593-4192-8D1B-933BDD77BF9E}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlVideo{0B0A08F8-1B00-416C-81B6-85914BADC90C}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlVideo{95399867-7FDC-4C37-A182-686EDC57803F}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlVideo{DEB039CC-B704-4F53-B43E-9DD4432FA2E9}

19. kugis says: