The only way to work on a laptop: folder redirection and offline files

I might bitch about eating our own dogfood, but a lot of the time it’s actually pretty damn tasty.

For example, I can’t remember how I ever used a laptop without the combination of folder redirection and offline files. Microsoft’s technical support staff use folder redirection to give each of us a gigabyte of storage space on a central server, mapped to My Documents. This is pretty nice in itself – since they back up that server, there’s no need for me to bother with all the hassle of backing up my personal machines. In this sense folder redirection is “just” a personal share on a server.

Combine folder redirection with offline files, however, and you’ve got a killer feature for laptop users. When my Tablet PC is on the network, I’ve got full access to My Documents. Then I go off the network – and I still have full access to all those files, stored locally (and transparently) under C:\WINDOWS\CSC. I can modify them to my hearts’ content, knowing that when I reattach to the network mobsync.exe will automatically detect this and let me synchronize all changes. And since I’m the only one touching those files, and I’m rarely working on more than one computer at once, synchronization conflicts (when it asks you to choose whether to keep one or both versions) are equally rare.

Notes and gotchas:

• Even if an application doesn’t normally keep its state in My Documents, you can often move it there. My Internet Explorer favorites and FeedDemon cache files live quite happily in My Documents, so that they’re always synchronized across machines. Dare Obasanjo has just found out how sweet RSS feed synchronization is while hacking on the next version of RSS Bandit 🙂
  • You can set up synchronization to happen automatically, but this can bite you in corner cases. Instead, I set it up to never synchronize automatically, do an explicit synchronization before disconnecting, and then let it remind me to synchronize on reconnection. Works every time.
  • In particular, you almost certainly don’t want to synchronize automatically if you’ve just connected to the network over dialup. Use that narrow straw to check your email, but keep your documents offline for fast local access.
  • If you’re an MSN subscriber, you can even synchronize to a web folder on the internet. Omar Shahine shows you how (and gripes about folder redirection – hey Omar, try my tips above!)
  • The synchronization manager will refuse to let you mark database files as “available offline”. This particularly hurts for Outlook’s .pst archive files.

Any tips that I’ve missed? People seem to either love or hate offline files. Me, I just remember the hell of roaming profiles

Updates:

• Yup, I missed one – the other big win of folder redirection is when you combine it with shadow copies on the server.
  • Rich C left a pointer to a knowledgebase workaround so that you can sync Outlook .pst files as well.
  • Omar Shahine found a solution to his pain, using the undocumented mobsync /logon for a quick sync that just pushes files you’ve updated on your laptop back to the server, and mobsync /logoff for a full sync that also pulls any files that have changed on the server.
  • You can find more posts and questions about offline files in my “Offline Files” category.
  • Larry Osterman Raymond Chen points out more things that can go wrong with roaming user profiles.
Edit: I’ve turned off comments on this thread – if you have a question, please go here instead.

1. Omar Shahine says:

Here are the problems with folder redirection (I do love it, but it annoys me):

1) the ui just sucks (it does)

2) often, the sync craps out on me half way through

3) don’t ask me which freaking file to sync when it knows the last modified date of both files. Pick the most recent one (or at least let me have this as an option, it would solve 99% of problems).

4) when a sync is occurring you are locked out from using any file or folder in the my docs folder. This means that if you redirect your favorites as I do, and you happen to launch IE during a sync, IE resets the fav location to a local path. I usually end up cursing as I have to launch Tweak UI again to set it back to the My Documents server.

Oh, and all the automatic sync stuff is turned off for me.

Generally I love the concept, and I hope they have a *robust* sync story in longhorn ;-).

And as some one who has used roaming profiles, I can also attest to the horrors of how badly it horked my registry.

2. #1 Yup, the interface is definitely one of those "only a mother could love" things 🙂

#2 hasn’t hit me enough to be a problem, but #4 is definitely something I should have mentioned. I can see why it wants to lock you out of your files while it synchronizes things, but eesh, you’re right that it hurts.

Here’s hoping that they offer #3 as an option in Longhorn. One my friends was PM for the upcoming version, but he’s moved on to sexier things. Offline files don’t get no respect!

3. ravidew says:

"Offline files don’t get no respect!" — I agree. I deployed roaming profiles on our small corporate network (~50 users) last summer and have had too many headaches since. The concept still appeals to me, particularly since users have a tendency to roam between machines, but at this point I’m ready to reformat all the domain controllers and laugh maniacally.

If profile management were improved in future server releases it could easily become a major selling point to IT staff of small and large companies alike. I know there’s no one easy solution, but with enough thought (and public contributions) I’m sure the engineers at MS can come up with something. Reading blogs.msdn.com has already reaffirmed my faith.

4. In my opinion roaming profiles are a nightmare waiting to happen, especially if you log into multiple machines at the same time, and *doubly* especially if you ever set up new machines from scratch. I used to do this a fair bit when I was playing with HPC clusters – after I suffered a couple of catastrophic profile losses because I forgot to log out in the "right" sequence, I gave up on the concept.

And who ever thought it was a good idea to roam your Internet Explorer cache??

5. Rich C says:

Check out this KB article regarding synchronizing Outlook and Access files:

It _is_ possible. Just don’t have Outlook open when you try to do the synchronization.

6. Whoa – thanks for the tip! I’ll try that out next week.

7. Brandon Paddock says:

Thanks to that tip I’ve now got my Tablet sync’ing .PST files with my Desktop. As long as I don’t update both copies seperately while the tablet is not connected (something I don’t see myself ever doing), I won’t have any problems. And the sync’ing functionality is actually pretty easy and transparent.

8. Felipe Vidal says:

This would be great but for a very specific problem I am experiencing with XP Pro SP1 (patched to current winupdates) on a Samba 2.2.8 PDC Domain using redirected folders (My docs and Favorites) and offline sync and NO roaming profiles. It works BUT..if more than one domain user creates a profile on the workstation then all of the users get an error during sync stating that each of the other profiled users redirected folder cannot be reached for sync.

Example:

user1 logs in for the first time and a local profile is created and their My Docs and Favorites are redirected to their home profile folder on the Samba server. No problem. Offline Folders automatically sets them up to sync. It works. Log off user1 and it syncs \serveruser1 folder with no problem.

user2 logs in for the first time and a local profile is created and their My Docs and Favorites are redirected to their home profile folder on the Samba server. The login sync dialog displays an error showing that \serveruser2 synced ok but \serveruser1 was not accessible. user2’s data is synchronized without issue. Log off user2 and it syncs \serveruser2 folder with no problem but again throws an error about \serveruser1.

user3 logs in for the first time and a local profile is created and their My Docs and Favorites are redirected to their home profile folder on the Samba server. The login sync dialog displays an error showing that \serveruser3 synced ok but \serveruser1 AND \serveruser2 was not accessible. user3’s data is synchronized without issue. Log off user3 and it syncs \serveruser3 folder with no problem but again throws an error about \serveruser1 and \serveruser2 again.

If you logon as user1 again the behavior is the same as for user3 except user1’s folder syncs and the user2/3 error appears.

The problem here is the other users sync paths should not be appearing in the logged in user’s sync list.

I checked local group policies and could find nothing relevant to resolving this. I also found a registry key or in CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionNetCacheShares that contains references to the multiple users unc paths (\serveruserX) and even made a netlogon.bat script that kills the entry at logon using the ‘reg’ tool. No dice. I have searched the registry for other offending entries with no luck. This is confoundingly weird.

There is Microsoft documentation refering to Offline Folders working with other SMB compatible operating systems such as Linux and Unix with the exception of Novell Netware. Though nothing mentions working with domain users in a non-MS server domain.

I have spent the better part of the last 8 hours working on issues surrounding this with no luck. I have read more pages and made more Google searches in the last 8 hours that I did in a whole week previously. While I could guess that this is not a support forum it seems like a strange, and probably rare enough problem to merit posting here for experts to look at and comment upon. Maybe some interesting ideas that would be useful in other situations will come of it.

Regards,

-felipe

jmail/at/felipevidal-d0t-com if you feel a direct question or comment is warranted.

9. Definitely strange, and yes, hopefully rare! Unfortunately I’m just a (very happy) user of redirected folders so I can’t offer much technical expertise. I’m assuming that PSS is blaming the behavior on the use of Samba domains?

Can any other readers help?

10. Namer says:

Do not move your OST, PST, MDB files in your offline files cache. Microsoft excluded these for a reason: During RC and beta days people lost their data. Outlook often doesn’t like to close file handles (especially in OL2000 or 2002) and not closing that handle when logging off can corrupt that PST file. PST files should never be used on any remote network. You’ve been warned.

11. Thanks for the heads-up, Namer. I think I shall continue to live dangerously, since Outlook 2003 seems pretty stable, and I use explicit synchronization rather than relying on it to do so automatically. So even if the offline copy of my .PST file were to be corrupted, I could recover from the online one, and vice versa. Plus I can always revert to earlier versions using shadow copies 🙂

12. Rod says:

I have a problem on my M200 where offline folder grabs D: and then my SD or USB memory key won’t load without going into Disk manager.

Seems to be a conflict in getting a drive letter to use.

13. William Barrow says:

Well here’s a good one for you. I have been using redirected folders and offline files for a long time as the "killer" backup strategy. My "My Documents" is redirected to a share and offlined. Can’t loose data right?

Wel two days ago some current problems occurred while I was out, the UPS went down (out of battery) and the file server’s disks just disappeared. So in my blinf wisdom, before starting the re-install of the file server/PDC (Windows 2003 server), I took my lap top out of the domain figuring that when recreated, the users and compuers would not be the same. Of course, that makes my laptop user a different user from the previous domain user, profiles and all.

Now that the domain is rebuilt and I try to login as my new domain user (pointing to the profile I had before taking the laptop out of the domain), I can see my offline files in "My Documents" (which is still in offline mode because the shared from the file server have not yet been recovered), but I can’t touch them. The laptop is Windows 2000 Professional. I can do nothing to access these files, which of course, have changed (and important!) files since the file server went south. The the "killer" option is killing me.

Very frustrating, and now my web searching begins for a way to access these offline files. They must be on the laptop somewhere, but they seemed lost in the Windows never never land.

14. William and I took this offline. I couldn’t help him, but fortunately he only ended up losing one day’s work to one file. In the meantime, does anyone know of an admin tool that can browse the offline files cache of another user? That would have saved his bacon…

15. handlemybiz says:

I have tried copying the CSC folder under c:windows and it seems to half way work. I can see the files are there when I open my offline files folder, but they won’t open or sysc. They are either marked "only local copy exists" or "local copy data has been modified". Is there a way to make it force sync?

16. The only way I know to force a synchronization is to use Tools->Synchronize in an explorer window.

17. Carlos Lamb [SBS Boise] says:

What is the bottom line? Should we bother with roaming profiles when we can use folder redirection? Are roaming profiles just a left over from Windows NT? Is it safe to redirect items other than my documents? Please advise… carlos/at/sbsboise.com

18. They’re not quite the same thing – roaming profiles makes your entire user configuration available, whereas folder redirection just makes your files available. I think roaming profiles is aimed at a smaller set of user scenarios, such as hot-desking. The problem comes if you try to move outside those scenarios, by e.g. logging on to two different machines at once. Then you’re in for a whole world of pain.

19. Dan Everett says:

Ok, I’ve been tearing my hair out trying to get offline files to work with .pst files for our laptop users. I used the method described in the above-mentioned MS support article, and now .pst files DO synch with the laptops. But this appears to be useless, since, when offline, outlook still looks for the .pst file in the same location, \serverprofilemy documentsoutlook.pst. This location isn’t available offline obviously, and I can’t expect users to go through the hassle of changing the outlook .pst location twice per day. If ANYONE can explain how to get this to work, please email me: dan at rmcproject.com. I’m currently using a logoff script to do the same thing, until we can get Exchange.

20. john iosub says:

If the user accidentally disables the check mark on "Make this folder available offline" then the files are gone. To restore the folder you must go through the same initialization process and you must for the first time synchronize the folder and subfolder entirely successfully.

This is a huge problem if the user is located remotely on a slow connection.

You cannot just mark the folder for offline use and finish the sync at a later time.

21. Bob Wilson says:

I have just recently run into the same exact problem William Barrow ran into. Is there any tool out there? Or maybe some reg keys that need changing?

22. Robert Lewis says:

I successfully use roaming profiles and redirect "My Documents." I have used offline files with mixed success for our handful of notebook users, but not for desktops. That has spared us some of the multi-user synchronization issues. But we do have a nagging problem … whenever we move a share that is referenced by CSC from one server to another.

Case in point:

\oldserver crashed recently. Fortunately, we had capacity on \newserver, so I restored our data from \oldserverdata to \newserverdata. Now, no matter what I do in Windows ExplorerToolsSynchronize… Synchronization fails with the message that \oldserverdata is unavailable. It does not help to remove references to \oldserver in CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionNetCacheShares or HKEY_USERS…SoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionNetCacheShares

This is the first link that has given me any hope of cleaning up my CSC configs. Any ideas?

23. There were three things that needed fixing this weekend. Hopefully, all of the tasks were accomplished. First, I needed to replace the fluorescent light in my office. I had tried replacing the bulbs, but that didn’t work (and the new bulbs worked in a different fixture). So, I decided to replace the ballast and the lapholders. The ballast was fairly…

24. BobbyMac says:

I have used roaming profiles in two separate small networks (one 50user the other 170user) at two different manufactoring facilities successfully for about 7 years now. (all the way from nt4)

I used the concept of a home drive on a server to house all a users data including pst files starting from using outlook 97. This is probably the ONLY thing that has worked consistently with nary a problem from the get go. When we implemented Outlook 2003 I even used caching exchange mode with the ost in the server home drive with NO problems ….user roams to different machine runs Outlook and it picks up the ost file and doesn’t have to rebuild it from scratch.

I also use folder redirection with no problems but Offline files are problematic….

25. boxmonkey says:

I think you have confused Larry Osterman with Raymond Chen…

26. Brad Erdman says:

I have the same problem as Robert Lewis. I changed servers, and it keeps telling me that the old server is not available. I think one of my colleges found a KB article on this at one point saying that there way no way to fix it.

27. boxmonkey: good catch, thanks for the hint 🙂

Brad: You can either rename that server share in the cache by using the csccmd utility’s moveshare option, or delete your local copy of files from that server by using the "Delete Files" button on the Offline Files tab.

28. laner says:

Jonathan, I’ve found your blog very informative. I am also suffering from a domain change and lost offline files. It seems I still have over 4GBs of those in my WindowsCSC folder. I’ve downloaded the cscutil you mentioned earlier (CSCCMD) and run it several times. There have only been three switches that seems to have any effect on the folder: /enable /disable and /resid. Whenever I get to the crucial one: /moveshare, I get an error message of

System error 87 has occurred.

The parameter is incorrect.

Here’s the syntax I’ve used:

csccmd /moveshare: \oldservershare \newservershare. I’ve done this with my domain login (with Admin rights). I’ve given myself (as server/domain admin) security rights to the folder as well as taken ownership. This is on an XP Pro machine. The original domain was a W2K box, now is SBS2k3. Incidentally, and possibly part of the problem, the new domain name is the same as the old. I’m fairly certain the synchronized files are there, can you advise on how to get them back given the problems I’ve encountered with CSCCMD?

Thanks,

Laner

29. Laner – you need the latest version of CSCCMD, which is currently only officially available from Microsoft Product Support. Start from http://www.microsoft.com/support to get started

30. Don says:

Hi All,

In order to be prepared to move the redirected location to another server, implement DFS and configure people to redirect to the DFS location of the share. That way it is Domain.DomainShare. AS long as you are in an AD domain and the domain name doesn’t change, you can put the share on a different server and then update your DFS targets accordingly. The end user will not notice the difference.

Microsoft – As far as discussions about offlining PST files – what is the bottom line? If you are 100 percent Outlook 2003, is it safe? (We are 100 percent Outlook 2003) They have an article that says how to over-ride the restriction and the same article says, "Don’t do this."

31. Don says:

I’ve been experiencing another issue with Folder redirection and wonder if anyone has seen this.

If I try to traverse a re-directed my docs folder using Microsoft Word to open a file, it is sluggish. However, if I do the same thing in Windows Explorer at the same time, it is lightning fast. Has anyone seen the same behavior and found a solution?

Thanks for any advice 🙂

32. Don – the bottom line is "don’t do it if you want any kind of support when things go wrong".

33. Dan B says:

Hi Everyone,

We just lost our server called \Files and the Faculty redirection was setup for there Desktop and My Documents to go to \FilesStaffFaculty%USERNAME%Desktop or My Documents.

We got a new server in while this one was down and named it \Staff and the GPO is now updated for the redirection to \StaffFilesFaculty%USERNAME%Desktop and My Documents.

When a user logs in they get an error saying they don’t have access to there Desktop located at \FilesStaffFaculty%USERNAME%Desktop

Its still looking at the old server! I changed the GPO and updated the profiles and Home Directories for these people. I also did a gpupdate /force to see if that would do anything but I have had no luck.

I figured just changed the GPO redirection to the new server would fix everything but I guess not.

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Dan

34. Michiel says:

To the poster above,

I had the same problem you had; on the windows resource kit there is a tool called csccmd.exe that you can use:

csccmd.exe /MOVESHARE:\oldservershare \newservershare

csccmd.exe /RESID

that should fix the problem

35. redman says:

Sync (unsupported)*.pst files.

Error Message: Files of This Type Cannot Be Made Available Offline

View products that this article applies to.

Article ID : 252509

Last Review : January 5, 2005

Revision : 3.1

This article was previously published under Q252509

SYMPTOMS

When you attempt to make files or folders available offline, the following error message may be displayed:

Offline files (\servershare): Unable to make file Filename available offline on \servershare. Files of this type cannot be made available offline.

CAUSE

By default, files with the following extensions are excluded:

.db?

.ldb

.mdb

.mde

.mdw

.pst

.slm

RESOLUTION

Microsoft does not recommend modifying the list of excluded files. See the "More Information" section for more details.

STATUS

This behavior is by design.

MORE INFORMATION

Certain file types are excluded by default as a means to prevent file conflicts and data loss. The mechanism that the Offline Files feature uses is Client-Side Caching (CSC). CSC can recognize when synchronization issues exist (for example, if the copy of a file on the server has been modified since the last synchronization). In such a case, you can select which version to use, but you cannot merge the contents.

There may also be another synchronization mechanism that is typically used for the file type. One such file type is .pst files. This type is included in the list to prevent conflicts with the built-in offline and synchronization features in Microsoft Outlook. The Offline Files feature uses a replacement method of synchronization, so there is no way to merge the two copies.

You can modify the list of excluded extensions by editing the appropriate Group Policy object (local, domain, organizational unit, and so on). For example, to remove the .pst extension from the list of excluded files, enable the following sample policy in Policy Editor:

Computer ConfigurationAdministrative TemplatesNetworkOffline FilesFiles not cached

Then, type the following string in the Extensions box:

*.slm;*.mdb;*.ldb;*.mdw;*.mde;*.db?

Log off, and then log back on. This replaces the default list, preserving all but the *.pst extension. You can use the same method for any of the other extensions. If you want to exclude all extensions, leave the list empty.

To edit the local policy, click Start, click Run, type gpedit.msc, and then click OK. To edit the domain policy, use Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in.

36. Dan B says:

I tried the csccmd.exe and that exact command…I didn’t try the resid switch though.

I just got off the phone with Microsoft and got the latest version of csccmd and was also on the phone with them for about 4-5 hours and had them stumped.

I tried just about everything and the MS Engineer also tried what I tried and a few others and still no luck.

Not sure what the issue is…

Thanks,

Dan

37. wolfy says:

Hope this thread still has a bit of life left.

I’m new to the offline folders / redirect, and I have a user that when she sync’s her files her gets an error on some files (like Doc and XLS) that more data is available. I have not been able to find any info on this, nor can I figure out what it is “really” trying to tell me. These files do not get sync’ed.

I also have a second user that when he tries to sync certain file don’t sync, when I look at then in the offline folder the show up as “only local copy”. If I manually sync those files nothing happens, they stay as only local copy.

I’m thinking that these files are some how corrupt because when I try to open them in offline mode I get an error “invalid please check path name”.

What does cleaning the cache do? Will it clear out everything in the offline folder. The User has stuff in the offline folder that he needs but it will not sync with the server so I am leery to clear out the cache and lose data

38. Wolfy – if you’re seeing possible corruption, you definitely want to reset your cache. You can do that by holding down Shift + Ctrl as you click Delete Files in the Offline Files tab of Folder Options.

And yes, this will clear out everything in the offline folder. I would suggest copying all the important stuff off the user’s computer using some other means (e.g. just moving it to a share).

39. Funny that the issue of moving the share doesn’t seem to be a big problem with MS. It is for a lot of people. I agree with the initial idea of using DFS when setting up, and using the Shift-Reset option is kinda hard with 1000 users. You can also make this registry entry and push it out to everyone that has the same effect once they reboot. But they will have to repin.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionNetCache]

"FormatDatabase"=dword:00000001

40. burfot says:

I am lost for ideas, so any help here will be appreciated.

I have been using offline files, with great success, for some months now.

Recently however, a strange thing has started; whenever I update an offline file, it "looses" it’s offline status. Ie, you can right click the file, and it’s no longer marked as available offline, or pinned. It does not matter if you open the file directly on the share, or from the "Offline files folder", the same thing happens. The updates are not lost, they do in fact get written, but it is like it’s saying "OK, your update is now written, so let’s remove the offline flag".

Any ideas?

41. Nicolene says:

On my CIO’s notebook, the “My Documents” redirects itself back to the default path. I’ve gone through dozens of google searches, but cannot find a similar problem and solution. Any ideas?

PS: I found really good advice on this page already, thanx.

42. Mike Reilly says:

I have given up completely on the Offline Files feature with the notebooks at my organization; I use the SyncToy for XP feature instead and it works wonders. So much easier and no nonsense and hair-tugging.

It was such a frustrating experience trying to administer Offline Files that any productivity gained by letting users work on their documents remotely was paid for by trying to get this to work on a reliable basis. God help you if the location of the files on the network is changed without trying to reconfigure the Offline Files on the laptop first (say, for instance, if a server is dead and you need a notebook user’s offline files folder to sync elsewhere). You are done, period. The notebook will never, ever stop seeking out that former offline files folder on the network and trying desperately, hysterically and incessantly to connect to it. There is just no way to just remove it and nicely deactivate the setting; instead, it is a screaming nightmare of eternally unchecking options and trying to disable sync locations only to find the notebook stubbornly re-activating the options after the next reboot and shrieking petulantly that it can’t find the network location. You can’t disable it through Windows explorer, group policy (any settings you make or change do absolutely nothing to fix this, whether you set the options locally or at the domain level) or the registry. The csccmd.exe file referenced above does not work. Getting Offline Files to quit look for a dead network share is like dealing with the psycho Jason from Friday the 13th; it cannot be stopped or killed. Ever. My advice to anyone even thinking about implementing this horrible feature is: 1) Don’t do it. 2) Use SyncToy or some other – ANY other – method, even if it involves batch files or dragging and dropping folders via Explorer.

43. Paul says:

True that. Love your dialogue 🙂 What a crackup lololol

I have the same problem and just now trying to find a resolve. The stupid thing really does want to connect to a server that was long ago laid to rest. Under advice from a news group I tried deleteing all offline files in IE to no avail. I’m going to try that synctoy instead. Arrmm but will it still want to connect to the old server even if I turn offline files off ???

44. Eric says:

I am suffering from the same exact problem. I.E. Offline files connected to old server, now the old server is not their any more. I don’t care if I use offline folders or not I just want to remove/move/delete the offline folders pointing to the old server. Will the csccmd 1.1 utility work? Some of the previous posts claim it might work. Please someone who has solved this problem let me know.

45. Wendy says:

I have a user with the same problems that wolfy mentions:

When he sync’s his files her gets an error on some files (like Doc and XLS) that more data is available. I have not been able to find any info on this, nor can I figure out what it is “really” trying to tell me. These files do not get sync’ed.

When he tries to sync certain file don’t sync, when I look at then in the offline folder the show up as “only local copy”. If I manually sync those files nothing happens, they stay as only local copy.

I have confirmed that his cache is getting corrupt.  Cleaning the cache with the ctrl-shift trick fixes it – for maybe a week or so.  No other users are having this problem.  Any idea what causes this corruption, and how to prevent it from happening again?

If it helps, he connects offsite using various methods –  cellular, wireless, and broadband.  Once connected to whatever network, he uses Cisco VPN to connect to the corporate network.

46. Hi Wendy – The only advice I can give here is to call Microsoft support and open a case on it.

47. Eric – the csccmd 1.1 utility *should* solve your problem

48. In my previous post I forgot to mention the other big win of having My Documents redirected to a share