Why I Think Popfly is Cool

No product is complete without a top-ten list of cool features, so here’s mine for Popfly.

1. It’s easy to get. All you really need is Firefox 2 or IE 6 or 7. Oh, and Silverlight, but that’s pretty easy to get.

2. It’s easy to use. People have talked about wanting programming to be like connecting Lego blocks; Popfly gets pretty close.

3. You can create mashups with it. This is kind of its purpose, but it’s neat nonetheless.

4. You can create web pages with it. We “borrowed” the Office Live team’s page editor technology.

5. You can use it with Visual Studio. If you’re a VS user, you can get Popfly Explorer and start to share projects with your friends on Popfly.

6. You can use it with Windows Live Spaces. There are a few tricks to it that we’ll document shortly, but you can both pull stuff from Spaces and embed Popfly creations into Spaces.

7. You can create Windows Vista Sidebar Gadgets. Again, a few tricks to it, but neato.

8. You can use it with your own blog. We’ll just hand you the iframe and you can embed it.

9. You can extend it with new blocks. Don’t like our blocks? Add your own.

10. It has some attitude. We had fun creating it. I hope it shows.

1. Vous pouvez faire connaissance avec une partie de l’équipe à travers cette interview sur Channel9 . Vous

2. I created a couple of web pages today. I fired up Notepad and started entering raw HTML instructions.

3. John Montgomery is an old friend who is currently at Microsoft. He has alluded to working on a project codenamed "Tuscany" in his blog, but has been quiet about what it actually is, until this morning. Welcome to Popfly demonstrates the technology. The

4. Patrick Bronsgeest says:

Just love the way popfly works, any more demonstrations ? Would love to see more or even try it.

5. johnmont says:

Thanks for the compliments. Pretty much all our demos are up on the site (and public). If you want to get an invitation, the best thing to do is to visit the site and add yourself to the waiting list. We’ll start sending invitations next week if all goes well.

6. Cool? Yeah right.

"All you need is ….."

No, that’s <em>not</em> all.

I’m on LINUX and LINUX doesn’t have Silverlight. Neither does Unix, BSD, OS X, or anything else.

You need WINDOWS. And I don’t want WINDOWS.

7. johnmont says:

Popfly does also run on the Mac, not that it helps you. ๐Ÿ™ We did have an HTML-only version of the mashup creator, but it was much less flexible than the Silverlight one and was becoming very time-consuming for us to maintain.

8. develop .net says:

ใ€Œใ‚„ใ‚‹ใ“ใจใฏใใ‚Œใ—ใ‹ใชใ„ใฎใ‹ใ€ใจ่จ€ใ‚ใ‚Œใใ†ใงใ™ใŒใ€ใ‚„ใฃใฆใ—ใพใ„ใพใ—ใ‚‡ใ†^_^; ใพใšใ€ๅ…ˆ้€ฑๆœซใซๅ…ฌ้–‹ใ•ใ‚ŒใŸ Popfly ใซใคใ„ใฆใ”่ชฌๆ˜Žใ—ใพใ™ใ€‚ใ“ใ‚Œใฏใ€ใƒŽใƒณใƒ—ใƒญ้–‹็™บ่€…ใฎๆ–นใŒ Web ใƒšใƒผใ‚ธใ‚„ใƒžใƒƒใ‚ทใƒฅใ‚ขใƒƒใƒ—ใ‚’ไฝœใ‚‹ใŸใ‚ใฎใ‚ชใƒณใƒฉใ‚คใƒณ้–‹็™บใƒ„ใƒผใƒซใงใ™ใ€‚Virtual

9. Ed says:

Popfly is a very cool idea because it lowers the barrier to entry for programming. I think it could be an excellent educational tool and many imaginative combinations of services will spring up from the general public that might not necessarily otherwise have been thought of.

10. barlog says:

A View from Elsewhere : Why I Think Popfly is Cool Why I Think Popfly is Cool ใ„ใค…

11. I recently came back to Popfly and noticed some nice changes : Much cleaner user interface Blocks organized

12. I recently came back to Popfly and noticed some nice changes : Much cleaner user interface Blocks organized