Beer is a Good Thing

Normally I’m a wine snob (see “Sideways“). About a week ago, I got to be a beer snob. You see, my dad’s birthday is coming up and, at 84, he has everything he wants, so comestables and potables are the order of the day. So I went to the local beer store (yes, there’s a local beer store). But the snob appeal of beer seems different. The language is similar (they speak of fruits and so on, though they talk about hops and yeasts a lot), but there’s something about beer that forces a non-pretentious conversation.

Anyway, I wound up with six local brews:

• Deschutes Brewery Cinder Cone Seasonal Red Ale (Bend, Oregon)
  • Fish Brewing Fish Tale Organic Amber Ale (Olympia, Washington)
  • Dick’s Brewing Dick Danger Ale (Centralia, Washington)
  • Elysian Brewing Zephyrus Pilsner (Seattle, Washington)
  • Skagit River Brewery Steelie Brown Ale (Mount Vernon, Washington)
  • Pike Brewing Kilt Lifter Scotch-style Ale (Seattle, Washington)

What amazed me about these was that I’d only tasted three of them previously (the Fish Tale, Zephyrus, and Kilt Lifter). Generally I seek out local brews.

1. Kent Tegels says:

The Deschutes Red Ale is a wonderful thing. Six excellent choices there.

2. david k says:

Beer is so working class.

3. Beer may be working class, but I must say that I enjoy it. Particularly after a solid afternoon of prepping and painting walls. Somehow, following that with a Cotes du Rhone just doesn’t seem right.

4. bolts says:

Cinder Cone is an excellent beer. It’s a shame it’s seasonal now 🙁

5. SBC says:

‘Life is too short to drink bad wine’..

🙂

You may get a kick out of this one –

6. OK, this is hysterical. I don’t know if it’s accurate, but it’s hysterical.

7. Dave says:

Red Hook ESB!

Red Hook Winterhook!!!

Yummy! 🙂

8. I’m not a big Red Hook fan. There’s an underlying bitterness in all their brews that just doesn’t appeal to me.

9. Dave says:

<br>Widmer Brother’s Wheat Beer! From Portland, OR.
    <br>
    <br>Yummy for da tummy!
    <br>
    <br>:-)
    <br>

10. Andre says:

If yer gonna link up to my pics of Bottleworks, you may as well use the most current ones:

Cheers!

André

11. Dating says:

Normally I’m a wine snob (see &quot; Sideways &quot;). About a week ago, I got to be a beer snob. You see, my dad’s birthday is coming up and, at 84, he has everything he wants, so comestables and potables are the order of the day. So I went to the local

12. Weddings says: