A change for printing to OneNote 2013

When we shipped OneNote 2013 SP1, we changed the way we printed long documents to OneNote. I’m happy to announce we released a change (two days ago as I write this) that makes the behavior much better.  I received a mail about this today and that reminded me that this fix had just gone out.  Talk about a timely email!

Right off, here is a link to the download: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2880458

What we now do is:

1. Obey the registry key controlled in Options about prompting for long documents across multiple pages:
  1. clip_image001
  2. If you check this box, any file that is more than 10 pages will be split across multiple pages.
  3. If there are less than 10 pages, we restored the original behavior of putting them all on one page.
  4. If there are more than 10 and you have not specified what to do, we ask you what to do.

Let me know what you think about the change. I’ll take all heat for this change since I actually made the change myself – here’s one example of a tester making product changes – and think that changing back to what we had been doing before combined with obeying the user preferences here made the most sense.

This is only for OneNote 2013. Again, let me know what you think.

Questions, comments, concerns and criticisms always welcome,

1. Sonu says:

I and several other users in the forums suggested that we get to choose how to insert files via a prompt. Not some random value like 10 pages …….  FAIL

2. Alessio says:

Hi John!

Thanks for fixing this issue as the situation is better manageable now than before when you need a pdf of more than 50 pages; anyway I think that the best solution would be to have a choice inside option to choose between all printout pages in one OneNote page or on multiple pages.

As for me ( and I suppose many other users ) I do use OneNote on the Surface Pro and I take notes on top of pdf printout, so it's essential to have one pdf page for one OneNote page because we can use the space around the pdf to write notes.

P.S. By the way I take this occasion to point out 2 other things that I would like to see changed: the metro version of onenote only accept documents saved on OneDrive but this make it unusable when you are printing pdf of several MB and you have poor internet connection!

The other thing that I would like to see changed are the big arrows on the OneNote desktop version that allow you to change pages: it would be nice to have a more nice looking effect for changing pages!

3. Denny says:

What if you want to always print on multiple pages? Even when less than 10?

4. John says:

The limit of 10 pages is fixed – that's just where we defined "large" printouts.  I'll talk this over with the design team to see what we can do, but any changes will be a while out.  I don't want to mislead anyone here.

5. John says:

Odd – I just now noticed that I have 2 bullet points for item "1" in this list above…

6. Edward Robinson says:

This 10 page minimum is CRAZY.  We print forms to our pages and need to print small documents to a single page per page in the document.  This makes navigation a LOT easier than scrolling through 5 pages during a meeting in the field.   Please allows us as adults to choose our default printing method.

7. Mary Branscombe says:

I wish I'd found this a while ago; I *hated* it when OneNote kept asking me if I wanted to split long printouts over multiple pages even after I'd ticked the box saying I want to keep them on one page. Wasted my time on every single printout. It should be like the Send To tool; if I want to set it once and never again, stop asking! 😉