Updating the OneNote Text Importer for OneNote 2013

<Edit on 7/26/2013> I’m pulling this for now while I troubleshoot.  Thanks for the reports and sorry for the noise.

I finally got a few minutes, and more importantly, a computer with everything I needed to build, free and updated the text importer for OneNote 2013.

There is almost zero change from the 2010 version – I just used to old 2007 version and updated it – so I won’t repost any directions here.  And the code is unchanged as well – I only updated the schema and COM references to OneNote 2013.  Just copy this file down and change that last underscore character to an “e” to get it to work.  There is no install program.

Enjoy!

Questions, comments, concerns and criticisms always welcome,

John

1. Crashes w/ Windows 7 64-bit says:

Tried it with WIndows 7-64-bit and Office 2013 – immediately get a messagebox w/ TextFileImporter has stoppedworkgin

2. John says:

Let me take a look.  Can you click File | Account and look over on the right for which version of OneNote you have?  It should be something like 15.0.4454.1008 or similar.

3. Jay says:

I am also getting the similar error message and a message box pops up stating "TextFileImporter has stopped working"

4. John says:

Can I get the version number of OneNote you have?

5. Brian says:

Same error here trying to launch the importer.. the version of OneNote I am running is 15.0.4420.1017 64-Bit windows 7 pc

6. John says:

I built against the latest fixes.  Can you go to Windows Update and install the latest patches?  You may also see this in File | Accounts | Update button over on the right (available if you have a Click to Run install).

7. Brian says:

@John… I dont have click to run on my work pc.. however I did install onenote2013-kb2817467-fullfile-x64-glb and now my OneNote says version 15.0.4517.1003..

Still the same error the "Text File Importer has stopped working"

8. Brian says:

When I got home I tried on a windows 8 pc just to rule out AV or any other security software we are running at work.. OneNote fully updated and still same error the "Text File Importer has stopped working". So its reproducable on Windows 7 enterprise 64-bit  and 8 64-bit if that helps at all.

9. Brian says:

@John… Any update?

Cheers

Brian

10. Juan Luis says:

Hi John. You still working on this?

Thanks!

11. John says:

Yes – but I noticed this does not work with Unicode text files, only ansi.  Can you check files to see if they are Unicode (easy test – open in notepad, file save as and check if the default is Unicode).

Also, there should be an error log file in the executable folder – what errors are logged?

12. majid_ansari@hotmail.com says:

Dear John,

I cant seem to find the attachment file in this post. Can you please guide me to the link from where i can download the updated import file for onenote 2013

13. Allan says:

Hi John, keen to get hold of this (for 2013). Any chance I can try it? Doesn't appear to be a download available. Thanks

14. John says:

Can you email me (the link is at the upper right)?  I have a new version of this which needs to be tested before general release and I want some real user feedback.  I can send you a copy (next week when I am back in the office) if you like and would be willing to let me know if it works for you.

15. Gil says:

Hello, John.

Thanks for providing a way of getting text files into OneNote. However, I was unable to get it to work for me. The conversion appeared to work but then in OneNote 2013, the folder was empty. Any ideas why?

Thanks.

16. JohnGuin says:

There is a log file in the folder where the text importer EXE file is.  What are the contents of it?

17. Rick Z says:

I am also have a problem with OneNote 2013.  the text import adds a new page to my OneNote but then seems to simply stop, progress bar doesn't reflect anything, after a few min I [X] out of tool and the file shows

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80042000): Exception from HRESULT: 0x80042000

at Microsoft.Office.Interop.OneNote.ApplicationClassCOM.UpdatePageContent(String bstrPageChangesXmlIn, DateTime dateExpectedLastModified, XMLSchema xsSchema, Boolean force)

at Microsoft.Office.Interop.OneNote.ApplicationClass.UpdatePageContent_AutoBusyRetry(String bstrPageChangesXmlIn, DateTime dateExpectedLastModified, XMLSchema xsSchema, Boolean force)

at Microsoft.Office.Interop.OneNote.ApplicationClass.UpdatePageContent(String bstrPageChangesXmlIn, DateTime dateExpectedLastModified)

at Text_File_Importer.FormTextImporter.buttonImport_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

18. JohnGuin says:

dateExpectedLastModified seems unexpected – where are the files stored?  Do they show an expected Date/Time they were modified?  Right click Properties – what are the date/time fields showing for created, modified and such?