Enabling Tablet PC Components to get ink to work

Recently a topic came up in which a OneNote user, who does not have a tablet PC, was having difficulties using ink features on Windows 7. The first thing to check is to ensure Windows has Tablet PC functionality enabled even if you do not have a tablet so that ink can work. Here’s how.

First, open the control panel and click the Programs link. You will see this:

Then click the link to Turn Windows features on or off.  (The little shield icon means you will get prompted that something is trying to change Windows, by the way.  I also got a question about that icon last week.) You will get this dialog:

Put a check mark next to Tablet PC components and click OK. You may or may not get prompted for your CD and then Windows will install tablet support.

This is also the same location in which you can install the XPS printer (which is needed by the OneNote Printer).

This is just a troubleshooting tip and should not be needed in Windows 8.

Questions, comments, concerns and criticisms always welcome,

1. George says:

I have done this and ink still doesn't work all the options are still greyed out for me

2. John says:

What version of Windows and OneNote do you have?   And what type of computer/input device?

3. George says:

I have windows 7, OneNote 2013(from office 365) but it also doesn't working in PowerPoint or Word which are the two i predominantly need.

I have a Samsung RF511 with a wacom BAMBOO PEN input with the latest driver installed.

4. John says:

Does the Bamboo pen work with any apps?

5. George says:

Bamboo pen works with photoshop, artrage and other applications, and works normally as an input device

6. The ink function of Onenote 2007 on Windows 7 turns grey without drawing function. I clicked 'Tablet PC components' as suggested but in veil. I use Thinkpad T60p. Is there other way to solve the problem?

7. John says:

Let me see what I can dig up here.  This does not sound familiar.

8. JohnGuin says:

Still researching.  Sounds like registration of the tablet components is somehow broken – ON 2007 uses COM, so a Windows repair may be in order.

9. John says:

The best answer I could find (is kind of technical) is that COM registration of RTSCom somehow got removed or corrupted in Windows.  Reinstalling the OS should fix this if my guess is right.  This could explain why some applications still work – they avoid WISP entirely…

Kwkoai, can you re-run Windows setup to see if this repairs the OS?

10. Kathy says:

What about a computer that does not have the option for Tablet PC components, does this hinge on the graphics card or what?

11. John says:

Are they just not listed?  What version of Windows do you have?

12. Pankaj says:

what is ink enable functionality? what it does?

13. John says:

This includes all the code in Windows to let it work with a stylus or ink in general.  We need those DLLs for OneNote to work.