OneNote Tip: Tagging more than one line of text with a single tag

Tagging is a very powerful feature in OneNote and is nearly the top "How To" type of question I get. I got another one this last week and I figured I would share it here.

One of our users wanted to type this in OneNote:

Hello everyone,

I wanted to point out some rodents that live in North America:

Capybaras

Rats

Chihuahuas

Thanks,

John

And the user wanted to tag all text, but only use one tag. Normally, you would see this if you applied the Important tag:

clip_image001

See how each line has the tag? This makes finding a bit noisy. Here’s what the tag pane will show:

What the user wanted is this:

clip_image002

With only one tag that tags the whole set of text.

Here’s how to do this: use SHIFT+ENTER to create new lines. That’s it. You can either remember to do this beforehand or you can edit the text once it is in place and use SHIFT+ENTER to create new lines.

Now the Tag Summary page will look like this:

clip_image002

Instead of:

clip_image004

Much cleaner, right?

For those of you that have looked at our page XML, you can see how this works.

The tag gets applied to the outline elements.  Each paragraph becomes its own outline element which is why you see this behavior (even though each paragraph is only one sentence). I encourage you to experiment here – you can really clean up your task summary pane.

Questions, comments, concerns and criticisms always welcome,

John

1. Jon E says:

Do you think you could post a script that will convert all selected text, that isn't "new line" to new line, instead of having to go line by line manually?

2. John says:

Not sure what you mean – could you give an example?

3. win7guru says:

All three lines are bulleted

Therefore, they have to be turned into New Lines by Shift+Enter

-Third Line of Text

Onenote 2013 5. Repeat Steps 2-4 for each new line

-First Line of Text

Second Line of Text

Third Line of Text

SUCCESS

You now have three lines of text as one tag entry

Onenote 2013

-First Line of Text

Second Line of Text

Third Line of Text

I need your help implementing a macro, either Visual Basic or some other method, than automates this process (Steps 1-5) when…

User highlights as many lines they want to make into one tag entry (convert bulleted text to newlines)

Implementation 1

Right clicking, and selecting "merge lines into tag". Tooltip: Merge lines into single tag

Implementation 2

Left clicking on icon in the toolbar (Addins > Merge Tags) Tooltip: Merge lines into single tag

Note: Implementation 2 requires an Addin to be created

4. JSanborn says:

Is there a way to do something like this with table rows?  I want to tag a table row but my tags only apply to the cell withing the row where I added the tag.  I want the summary to return the entire table row.  Any suggestions?

5. Tom says:

Did JSanborn's comment regarding the row ever get answered? tcervenka@insiterealestate.com

6. JohnGuin says:

Hmm.  I tried this with OneNote 2013 and am seeing some odd behavior when I try to filter to the current section.  Let me see what's going on here.

7. Reece says:

I'd like to see this definitely automated.

Skip to main content