OneNote wasn’t working, but at least there were no bugs

When I got in this morning I turned to my laptop to check some OneNote pages I use to track some To Do items. I grabbed the mouse connected to the docking station and tried to click the page. The mouse pointer did not move, though.

Next I tried the little button in the keyboard – this is a Lenovo – and that worked fine. Tried the mouse again, no luck. Plugged the mouse directly into the laptop and it still did not work. Since it is an optical mouse, I flipped it over to see if the light was on and it was not. To double check, I plugged it into a desktop and still no light. Tried a different mouse and it worked fine.

Initially, though, I had thought maybe there was a problem with OneNote and the mouse, but that did not make much sense. After all that, I was glad to see that there was a simple explanation here.

Next up, I had to use a tablet in another tester’s office to try a test on SkyDrive. Again, this did not work. There were no errors – it just did not connect. This is not, from a testing point of view, all that unexpected since I was trying to see if a bug that was essentially "I can’t connect to SkyDrive" was fixed. It was looking like it was not fixed so I went to get some more data for the developer.

The first thing I need was a Fiddler trace ( I started Fiddler and tried again. There was no network traffic at all. Since our building has been getting new network cabling recently, and a large upgrade to our proxy servers, I went to double check proxy settings. Again, everything seemed in order. I tried one last time to get a Fiddler trace but again nothing was there. I tried to save a text file for some of the proxy settings but could not connect to a machine in my office as a location to save the file.

Since I could not get anything to work, I restarted. Again, nothing. I reached down to restart one more time and my hand brushed against the network cable. The disconnected network cable. Sigh. I guess this happens to everyone now and then.

Once I got the cable plugged in, I was able to finish my testing and send the results to the team.

I’m just glad all these problems were hardware related.

Questions, comments, concerns and criticisms always welcome,


Comments (0)