Source code for the OneNote Table Sorter and Table of Contents powertoy

Odd - I normally blog on Monday and Thursday. I looked back at the last few weeks and between vacations, holidays here in the USA and other whatnot, it has been a long while since I posted anything.

One thing I noticed last year is that I never posted the code to the Table of Contents and Table Sorter powertoy. I got a few requests for this over the past month and figured I better get it put up here before I completely lose track. So here you go.

Enjoy!

Questions, comments, concerns and criticisms always welcome,

John

TOC Power Toy 2010 - Sources.zip

1. Ben says:

Thanks, not that I'd know where to start with sourcecode but thank you anyway for taking the time. Always look forward to reading what new cool stuff you've found with OneNote when i see a new post in RSS.

Ben

2. Gene says:

John,

I first installed the ToC powertoy on a Win7 PC with OneNote 2007 and 2010.  The ToC toolbar addon didn't appear.  I then remove 2010 and 07 and the ToC addin, then i did a clean install of 2010 and the ToC addin and still no ToC addin on the Insert bar.

I may be missing the obvious but, Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Gene

3. JohnGuin says:

Hmm.  I never tested with OneNote 2007 and 2010 installed together.  Are you an admin on the machine, and how did you uninstall 2007 and 2010?

4. Gene says:

First, thanks for being, seriously no pun intented, "Johnny on the Spot" with a quick response.

2007 was installed, been using it for a few years, I installed 2010 thinking it would upgrade present installation but, no.  I ended up with 2007 and 10 working separately but, accessing the same notebooks.

I do have 2007 MS Office Pro and Visio 2007 installed, any issues with their code????  Or do I need to add in the ToC option by coding or some other system???

TIA,

Gene

5. Gene says:

Sorry, I am an admin on the machine and I used appwiz to remove 07 and 10.

Cheers,

6. JohnGuin says:

Visio and Office 2007 Pro should not matter here.

Here's what I do when setup fails.

1. Exit OneNote completely

2. Uninstall the powertoy

3. Reboot (literally.  this kills dllhost)

4. repair OneNote 2010 install

5. reboot again (I'm being overly cautious here)

6. Now run the setup again.

Does this work for you?

7. Gene says:

Unfortunately, no.  Rebooted as suggested, even after ToC install???

Maybe some possible contributors for ToC not working:

1.  ToC installation dir: C:Program FilesMicrosoftOneNote Table of Contents

OneNote install dir: C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft OfficeOffice14

2.   OneNote ToC install file: OneNoteTOCSetup.msi – 4/26/2011 – 602 KB

Are the any reg Keys I could look for or change???

8. Gene says:

Maybe something or maybe not but,, OneNote 2010 – Trial Version….  2007 was purchased version.

9. JohnGuin says:

If you click File | Help, does it show OneNote is a "Click to Run" version?

10. Gene says:

In File | Help I don't see a "Click to Run"

The version is: 14.0.6023.1000 (32-bit).   Should I be using the x86 setup, even though the Win7 is 64?

11. JohnGuin says:

Yes, please try the 32 bit setup.

12. Gene says:

Yea!!!   The 32 bit version (ToC) works.

There are some interesting issues.  One, the ToC isn't getting Section Groups and…

Two… I've got four notebooks, in three I can create ToCs but in the fourth I get an Error pop-up.   Expand/Collapse Pages… 0x2005: Page does not exist?

Sorry to bring it up but, the notebook erroring is the most needed book.

13. JohnGuin says:

Where is the 4th notebook stored?  Are there any sync errors with it?

14. Evoco says:

It would be great if you have an update for OneNote 2013. In the moment its not running with your version.

Skip to main content