Filtering the tag summary page to have only the tagged information you want

I mentioned on Monday that you can use the Tag Summary page to show you only the tags in OneNote you want but did not give details on how to do that. Here’s how to (again, imagine that I only want to see my text that was tagged with a priority).

First, click the Find Tags button on the Home Tab of the ribbon. You should get a Tags Summary pane over to the right, like this:

In this case, I have several tags other than the three from the page I showed in my last blog article. Suppose I only want to see the Urgent, Medium and Low priority tasks, since those are the only ones to which I assigned a priority. The tip here is simple – just collapse the tags you don’t want to see on the summary page by clicking the triangle icon:7

And you wind up with this:

Click Create Summary page and a page will get created in the current section with only the tagged information that is still expanded:

That’s all there is to it! Just collapse the tree control for the items you don’t want (in computer lingo).

I hope this helps.

Questions, comments, concerns and criticisms always welcome,

1. gary says:

I can't believe you didn't "tag" this webpage with the "tag" "tag".

2. Jenni says:

This helps a lot, thank you!! For some reason my Summary Page does not seem to be updating when I tag more items with the tag I have summarized. I used to use OneNote a million years ago and I thought at that time the summary page was more dynamic, am I missing something or has my memory failed me?

3. Richard says:

Jeni, unfortunately the Summary page is simply a static view of your tags at the time you create it. It does not synchronized with any changes.

4. Dave says:

Is there any way to make the reminder dynamic in the new OneNote

5. John says:

No, you would need to write code to monitor for changes in real time to alert you.  Not an easy problem to solve with an addin, but the ON team has received several requests for this so you are not alone with this asking for this feature.

6. Ed says:

Is there some way to filter a summary for only a single tag? If so, I have not been able to find it. I don't know why that capability is not included but, in my opinion, it is THE huge hole in OneNote's otherwise fantastic functionality.

When looking for tagged notes, I cannot think of a scenario in which I would need or want a summary of ALL tagged content. However, I frequently would like to see a summary of one specific tag. But to get that now, I often have to scroll down through the summaries of dozens of other tags, some of which have hundreds of notes.

Am I overlooking something or doing something wrong? How do other users deal with that?