Table Sum toy updated for OneNote 2010

I got a couple of user requests recently to update the table sum powertoy that I wrote for OneNote 2007 to work with OneNote 2010. Always happy to oblige, I updated it and here you go. If you just want to install it, the link for the download is below my signature at the bottom of this page.

Since I did not include the setup program for the original, I changed it slightly since I had to redo the setup. Now it just uses a label in the ribbon instead of an icon:

clip_image001

It shows as “Table Sum (2010)” on the Add-Ins tab of the ribbon. This text label is only a registry key so you can change it if you want.  The other icon is the bulk ink eraser toy I wrote, by the way.

Other than that, it should work as the original. It turns this:

clip_image002

Into this:

clip_image003

Other than re-writing the setup application from scratch (my own fault, really), all I did was follow the directions here to update it.

Enjoy!

Questions, comments, concerns and criticisms always welcome,

John

OneNoteTableSum2010Setup.zip

1. Kriggs says:

It gives me a blank line on others table not selected, nevertherless great ADD-IN, thx.

2. JohnGuin says:

Hi Kriggs,

I specifically was checking for which table had focus – can you File | Save As and save the page that has the tables in which they all get modified?  You can email me via the link at the upper right.

3. Eoin S says:

Hi,

good, simple, functional. Though you need to erase an existing total before adding a new line of data or such. Otherwise the previous total is included next time you update.

Thanks

ES

4. Tony Vile says:

Brilliant, thanks. A great help.

5. James says:

Any chance of an update for OneNote 2013 please? 🙂

6. Dan B says:

Really appreciate this, I'll make good use of it.  Thanks John!

7. bart says:

Do I have to install "Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile"?

8. John says:

Yes, this is the framework I used to create the addin.

9. bart says:

So, if I want to install this small addin, I should have 1.5 GB* free disk space to first install Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile on my 64-bit system?

(* – according to this site: msdn.microsoft.com/…/5a4x27ek%28v=vs.100%29.aspx )

10. JohnGuin says:

Yes, but the install size is not that large.  That is the space needed for temp files, uncompressing the download, etc…

11. Will says:

Any chance we could get the source code? I would like to modify to sum rows or columns.

12. Glen says:

Hi John

I installed tablesum 2010 and mathematics add-in for onenote 2010 and neither are working.  Tablesum is showing up under add-ins toolbar but not in options add-inns and does not work, and mathematics is showing in options add-inns but not in the toolbar?

13. John says:

Sounds like ON did not install since both addins are broken.  Can you detect/repair?

Also, when you install, you might want to right click the setup file and select "Run as administrator"

John

14. J.T. Brown says:

Does not seem to work with OneNote 2013 / Windows 8.1.  Installation says 'successful' but the Add-in does not register in the options page or show up on the ribbon.  Any chance of any updated 2013 version?  Thanks!

15. JohnGuin says:

I never updated this for 2013 since Excel Spreadsheets can be embedded and that is MUCH more powerful than this addin.

16. MCortes says:

Good and simple. Great add-in. Thank you

17. Ken Wallewein says:

Not sure that makes sense to me.   If I wanted to use Excel I wouldn't have use OneNote.

18. Katie says:

I would appreciate an update for 2013 as well. I would like to be able to update the cells on an iOS device and excel does not allow me to do that. 🙁

19. petebr says:

same here, once it's converted to excel you can only edit it using excel. I'd like to see a simple sum tool for tables

20. Ben says:

Hi,

Has there been any updates so that this can work with OneNote 2013?

If not, does anyone have any suggestions on what I can use to do a simple sum as I am using tables in OneNote 2013?

Ben

21. Rickkee says:

I'm running 2013 and 2016 OneNote.  Why for Pete's sake is this not a built in feature?

Microsoft Engineer: (Good Guy)   "We need the feature to calculate in tables, there are a million requests for it."

Microsoft Marketing (Bad Guy):  "Onenote is free, maybe you won't need to buy Excel.  Request denied"