OneNote tip: getting OneNote to prompt you for where to store stuff

I’ve gotten this question a few times now and once more last night made me think this may be worth posting. Here’s the situation.

You have printed to OneNote, or made a screen clipping, or otherwise sent some data to OneNote. We pop up a "Quick Filing" dialog that looks similar to this:

clip_image001

And it usually has a little checkbox at the bottom that you can toggle to have OneNote use your answer as the default and not prompt you any more:

clip_image002

Both of these images are taken from our technical documentation for this dialog, by the way.

Anyway, you may have answered that you want to send Screen Clippings to some section that later gets moved, deleted or you just change your mind where you want the clipping to go. If you have turned off that dialog, here’s how to get it back.

Click File | Options and then click the Send to OneNote link, like this:

clip_image003

From here you can make changes for the different locations, or set OneNote to prompt you each time.

Pretty easy way to change your mind and get this dialog back (at least I think it is easy, but I may be a tad biased 🙂 )

I hope this helps.

Questions, comments, concerns and criticisms always welcome,

John

1. John says:

Those are some horrendous images.  I'm going to leave them here for the time being and see if I can tell what happened to make them lose so much detail.

2. Brad says:

When I set the screen clipping location, the screen clipping is put in that location, but when i set it to 'Always ask . . . .' no dialog box appears to ask me where to put it. the screen clipping capture works but once i have selected the second point of the capture box one would expect to see the 'select locations' dialog to appear but it doesn't. I have looked all over the internet and this forum and can't seem to find a solution. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

3. John says:

Which version of OneNote do you have (2007 or 2010)?  And if you look in Help | About in 2007, or File | Help in 2010, what version do you have listed over on the right part of the screen?

4. Brad says:

OneNote: 2010

Version: 14.0.6112.5000 (64-bit)

5. venu says:

Just what I was looking for. I opted to not show dialog and not able to get the dialog box again, until I see this posting. Thank you.

6. Britt says:

Thank you so much for posting this.  Mine disappeared and it was driving me crazy!

7. Akash says:

It would be nice if user specify default name( custom name with number in ascending order ) that can be used each of the snapshot. Like for a sequence of snapshot, rather than "Screen Clipping taken : DATE ". it should ask for default name for all the clippings in a section and also add the same as the name of New Page.

Thanks !

Akash

8. Xenia C says:

I have scoured everywhere to find an answer, but is there a way to set an option that allows me to Always ask where to send and then prompts me to add a page to that section? I always end up having to place in some existing page and moving and I have too many notebooks/sections to set on default.

9. John says:

Hi Xenia,

If you just choose a section from the filing dialog, OneNote will add a new page to that section with the content at the bottom of the section you choose.  Does this help?

10. Vivek says:

Hi John

I am not able to see this option in onenote 2007. Please advise how to uncheck "Always send content to this location"

11. Jeremiah says:

Perfect info!  Just what I was looking for.

12. Gene says:

Fantastic, just what I needed.

Thanks

13. Margaret says:

Thank you so much, this was really annoying me….

Skip to main content