OneNote Section Color Powertoy updated for OneNote 2010

Now that SP1 for Office 2010 is out the door, I wanted to update the section color changer powertoy. I did not make any changes to it other than using the OneNote 2010 schema, so I won’t repost the code. It was unchanged.

And I also did not make any changes to the functionality. Just hop over to the original page for some basic instructions, copy the executable file (below my signature) and run it to get going. Not much to it past that – there is not even a setup program you need to run.

Have fun and enjoy the new colors!

Questions, comments, concerns and criticisms always welcome,

John

osco2010_updated.zip

1. Christien says:

I originally used the 2007 version of OSCO and it worked well. When I updated to Office 2010 and used this version the list is not populating with my notebooks and crashes when trying to commit the colour.

2. John Garcia says:

I get the same problem as Christien. Was really looking forward to an update of this very useful tool. Any ideas what could be causing the bug? Many thanks!

3. John says:

Do you have "Click to Run" installations of Office?

4. John Garcia says:

Thanks for the quick reply John.

I've got the regular Office 2010, not "Click to Run" version. I am running 64-bit version of windows 7. 32-bit office 2010. Any help much appreciated!

5. John Garcia says:

Strangely when I use the old Office 2007 color changer powertoy, it seems to pick up my Office 2010 notebooks/tabs/colors ok. It just doesn't do anything when I click on "Commit color" (as you would expect being the wrong version).

The 2010 powertoy however doesn't pick up anything. I just get a blank box. No notebooks/tabs.

Could it have anything to do with being on 64-bit windows 7?

Many thanks!

6. JohnGuin says:

Where do the notebooks exist – on your local machine or on a server?  Are they synced up to date?

Did you install the .net programmability component during setup (it should have installed automatically.  You can check in control panel programs).

Did you uninstall OneNote 2007 or leave it on the machine?

Lastly, there may be a log file in the folder from which you run the color changer.  Does it exist and have any content?

7. John Garcia says:

Hi John,

the notebooks are on my local machine (in the "My documents" folder).

I installed the .net programmability component when I installed OneNote (I checked in control panel / programs).

Just before I installed Office 2010 I had bought a new hard drive, so had never installed Office 2007 on this drive.

A log file is created when I run the program, but nothing ever gets written to it, and it stays empty.

Any help you can give is much appreciated!

8. JohnGuin says:

OK, I'm just shooting in the dark here.  How many notebooks do you have, and how long do you let the tool sit blank before killing it?  It's slow, so if you have a large number of notebooks, it may take a minute or two to load everything.

Are the notebooks open in OneNote when you start OneNote?  Or do you have them closed right now?

Are you running as an administrator?

What does it say if you click File | Help over on the right in the "About Microsoft OneNote" section?

9. John Garcia says:

Hi John,

I have 2 local notebooks plus 1 notebook on windows skydrive, and my unfiled notes (so a total of 4 "notebooks").

I just tried running the 2010 version for several minutes and it remains blank. I've tried with both OneNote open and closed with the same results.

In contrast the 2007 version of the powertoy picks up my tabs/notebooks fine on my Onenote 2010. I have saved a screen grab here:

i64.photobucket.com/…/OSCO.jpg

When I click File->Help I get the following info:

i64.photobucket.com/…/OneNote.png

Hope that helps you figure out what might be wrong. If you need any more info just let me know. Many thanks!

10. JohnGuin says:

OK, I get the same behavior with a machine I created to mimic yours.  Let me see what I can find out.

11. JohnGuin says:

I rebuilt it and it seems to be fine now- can you try with the new file I just uploaded?

12. John Garcia says:

John, many thanks for your help! It is working now! The notebooks/tabs show up fine, and I am able to change the colors. The only thing which doesn't work is that it doesn't pick up the existing colors of the tabs (the 2007 version manages to do so). But other than that it is perfect.

Many thanks!

13. Ian says:

I really wanted this to work – but alas, I have the same issue as Christien. I know it's 3.5 years later – but did you ever mod / correct anything?  Thanks

-Ian

14. JohnGuin says:

I just checked again, this time with ON 2013, and it worked fine.  In the folder which you use to launch it, there should be a log file.  is there a crash or error reported in it?

15. Ian says:

Well I tried it in 2013 and it fails there as well. It looks like it should work, but it doesn't push the color choice. Owell. In 2010 it just application crashes immediately with:

Description:

Problem Signature 07: 10

Problem Signature 08: 13

Problem Signature 09: System.MethodAccessException

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

16. Ian says:

I tried it in 2013 – it doesn't apply the color choice for me. Looks like it should but just doesn't work. In 2010 it crashes with an application error that I can't seem to post here. I think you might have some other code you've applied to get it working. Owell.

Problem Event Name: CLR20r3