Updated: The OneNote Table of Contents and Sorter Powertoy

Brad Covell took a look at the OneNote Table of Contents and Table Sorter powertoy and realized that he needed it to create a ToC page for an entire notebook. So he added that functionality.

He was also kind enough to send the his changes to share with everyone – thanks Brad! I’m posting the setup files today. Download the zip file (below my signature) and install either the 64 bit setup.exe if you have 64 bit OneNote, and the x86 version if you have 32 bit OneNote. You can check under File | Help – it’s over on the right.

If you already have the former version installed, you need to uninstall it first.

Brad also sent me his code. This blog limits me to one download at a time, so I will post the updated code next time. If you really want to get your hands on it, email me via the link at the upper right and I can email the project to you.

In the meantime, enjoy this update. Thanks a whole bunch Brad – this request bubbled up enough that I’m happy to see someone adding this.

Questions, comments, concerns and criticisms always welcome,

1. Jan Roelof says:

Very nice! Unfortunately, however,creating a TOC in a section group freezes OneNote with me (Windows 7, 2010, 32 bit). The only way out is ending onenote.exe through the task manager and OneNote has advised me to disable the powertoy. I am hoping this can be rectified? I suppose the toy gets lost somewhere in recursivity 😉

Jan Roelof

2. Jan Roelof says:

Jan Roelof

3. JohnGuin says:

Jan – the reason Nani never added this capability is because it is slow on a notebook level.  If you have anything but a small notebook, it will take a long time to finish.  Can you try on smaller notebooks and see if the behavior has to do with the size of the notebook?

4. Chris Campbell says:

I have installed the x86 version successfully but the add-in does not appear in my OneNote 2007.  I tried uninstalling anf re-installing and repairing, but it still does not appear in OneNote.  Any suggestions?

5. John says:

Chris – this addin requires OneNote 2010.  It uses the ribbon and that was not present in 2007.

6. Jay Kuhne says:

I installed the x86 version on win7, Onenote2010 (32bitt) and it fairled to start.  On subsequent startup Onenote gave me the option to disable the Add-in.   I would love this funtionality but not sure what to do next.  I did not capture the failure pop-up.  A little scared to try again…

7. JohnGuin says:

Jay, do you have other addins installed?  I would check those and then check to make sure the .net framework has all updates installed.

8. Matt Wenham says:

I have the same problem as Jay Kuhne, with no other add-ins installed. I am, however, running OneNote 2010 32-bit on a 64-bit system.

Any clues?

9. John says:

Jay – what language of Office are you using?

10. Nick says:

Great tool – just one comment, if there is more than one table on a page I get an error when i try to sort (using any of the 4 options). Is this a known limitation and if so, are there plans to resolve/ is this possible?

The current workaround seems to move the table to a new page, sort and then move back.

11. Chase says:

I loved the original ToC, so I wanted to try the new version.  The old version would let me create a ToC for just one Section Group at a time.  Is there a way to do this with the new version or do I just need to go back to using the old one?

12. Chase says:

To followup on the OneNote lockup issues, my OneNote locks up when I try to use the Outline button to generate a ToC, but it also gives me an error pop-up message:  Expand/Collapse Pages 0x2001: Invalid XML.

And if I use the Last modified Date button it goes back to the page of the origial ToC that I generated and replaces the ToC table with one for the entire Notebook again instead of creating a new one.

13. JohnGuin says:

I doubt either Nani or I will be able to update this any more, so I suggest using the previous version if it has what you wanted in it.  Just want to set expectations and not over – promise.

14. Chase says:

Where can I get the previous install, i.e. before Brad implemented the ToC for the entire Notebook changes?  Your previous blog talking about Nani's updates just points back to this one.

15. JohnGuin says:

I actually do not have the previous version.  After digging through my archives, I think the code may be gone.  Extremely embarrassed about this.

16. JR says:

This is a great idea, but doesn't seem to work with SP1

17. Kentc says:

I installed the x64 add-in into a fully updated version of ON2010.  Unfortunately, the COM Add-Ins indicates its disabled due to load behavior:  "Not loaded.   A runtime error occurred during the loading of the COM Add-in."   Is there a workaround?   Enabling it has not worked as it keep being made inactive.    Thank you.

18. nec says:

seems to be a very interesting tool

however doesn't work in one note 2010 64 bit windows 64 bit , installed but can't load the com add in. without error perhaps the next version

19. Chicken0895 says:

Please update this! I could really use it right now, but it does not work for sp1 weather its 32bit or 64bit.

20. chris says:

would really love to use this – but like others unable to get it working – win7 64 bit with office 32 bit:

About Microsoft OneNote

Version: 14.0.6112,5000 (32-bit)

21. JohnGuin says:

Chris, if you right click on My Computer and select Properties, is windows 32 or 64 bit?

22. JohnGuin says:

And what language of OneNote are you using?

23. Jim Hursh says:

I have Win 7 64bit with OneNote 32bit

24. Rob says:

Doesn't work for me either. When I click on the button it reads,

0x200b: Section is read only.

I would love a powertoy that could auto generate a table of contents with links to all the notebooks.

25. JohnGuin says:

Jim – let me investigate what is happening with the 32/64 bit mixed system.

Rob – where is the notebook you are trying to use stored?

26. Andre says:

I just wanted to let you know that it is not working for me either.

I have the same combination of Windows 7 x64 und Office 2010 Professional x86.

The notebook is stored on a local disk if this information is relevant.

27. John says:

Still investigating.

28. Kyle says:

+1 – W7 x64 with OneNote 2010 x86

Getting the same read-only error (0x200b: Section is read only)

Building TOC pages by hand, but would love a tool for this.

Your help is appreciated.

29. My feedback ON

OneNote Table of Contents in the new version:

original file: setup.exe

Product Version: 9.0.30729.1

amended the: 26.04.2011 12: 46

language: English (US)

Copyright: © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

For Outline:

Everything works except the generation for the group or Notepad in full, only the first level sections are processed. Either what I missed a version or something?

For Last Modified Date:

Everything works concerning the changes to all the pages of a notebook, but the sections and section groups do not appear (it is not known to which section or group pages belong, it is not No. more modification of title of section or group).

The table is generated in the current section, it is possible to move and rename the (title), the new name and location are memorized for later.

Please note there may be problem if is removed or if it is added in the page other than a change in the titre…

The functions of sorting on tables of Last Modified Date works.

However, are you there a sorting option similar to the one used in the previous version (by editing the registry database)?

This tool is wonderful and is very useful for me, but I would like that it covers also the groups and subgroups and to take account changes to title the sections and groups as well as the reference to the path of the pages in the Last Modified Date tables.

For information, I work in French with Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit and a French version of OneNote 2010 32-bit. (Group written Group in English).

I take here thank you Brad and John for your excellent work on this tool and encourage you for all of the improvements that I wish and hope that my comments are useful.

30. Greg says:

Seems totally borked. Crashes every time I go to the Insert tab on the ribbon bar.

Assertion Failed

at Connect.OnConnection(Object application, ext_ConnectMode connectMode, ….)

31. Alan G. says:

Identical problem as Kentc mentioned on Feb. 16th. This would be a great tool! Any idea if a fix might be forthcoming? Thanks much! –Alan

32. Rob P says:

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit with Office 2010 64-bit.

After enabling and then starting the add-in, I get the following error:

Assertion Failed: Quit, Retry=Debut, Ignore=Continue

at Connect.OnConnection(Object application, ext_ConnectMode connectMode, Object addInInst, Array& custom)

With the options Abort, Retry or Ignore to click.

33. Rob P says:

If I click ignore then the add-in works. If anyone wants a step by step process how I got the add-in working, let me know.

34. Stuart says:

I just tried to install this on a Win7SP1 64-bit system running OneNote 2010 SP1 (32-bit). Installation appears to succeed, however upon starting OneNote, I receive the following error:

Assertion Failed: Abort=Quit, Retry=Debug, Ignore=Continue

Abort   Retry   Ignore

If I try to load the addin again, OneNote hangs.

35. John says:

Interesting – I don't think the author tried this with 32 bit Office on 64 bit Windows.

Let me see what I can find out – and by the way, were you more interested in the sorting functionality than the ToC?

36. Will says:

Greetings John (and apologies if this is tangential or off-topic — It seemed like the "contact us" page is inactive… feel free to redirect me if needed).  I just typed a long post and lost it for some reason — will try again.

Could a powertoy be made which allows one to do a “Tags Summary” which is *not* sorted? (Or alternately, “which leaves tagged items *in the order they occurred* originally within their respective notes?”)

Within my notes, I arrange and group my “to do” items in the order I intend, and also have them located under specific subsections / projects. It’s *really* a bummer that I can’t preserve this order in the tag-summary. In fact, it’s pretty crippling to have them re-arranged by date, alphabet, etc, etc.

37. Rob says:

I had the same problem as Stewart. I got that error and whenever I loaded OneNote again it would hang. The full activity would display, included the contents of the current notes, but I couldn't interact with it at all.

After forcibly closing OneNote, I uninstalled this. Tried running OneNote again with it hanging as before. But when I forcibly closed it I'd get several options of how to restart it. One was to delete all settings. I did this, and now it seems to be working.

38. Greg says:

I get the same error regarding Assertion Failed.  Running Windows 8 64bit w/ ON 2010 64bit.

39. Summer says:

I have the exact same issue as Rob.  I've since uninstalled this add-in, but my OneNote is now not functional – I can't interact at all and I have to forcibly end the program.  I hope I am able to repair my OneNote.  Does this add in clean-uninstall?

40. James says:

What a crappy tool.Bugs all over, waste of time.

41. John Schmidt says:

After upgrading to Windows 8 Pro the Alpha Sort does not work.  How do I fix this?

42. Jim says:

I'm having the same problem as many here:  after installing, the add-in shows up as "inactive" and I am not able to access any of its functions.

I'm most interested in the table sort function.  Running 64-bit, English language OneNote on Windows 7; notebooks stored on both local drive and server.

43. Moshe says:

I'm having (again) the same problems as mentioned above.

My setup: Win 7 Enterprise 64b; OneNote 64b

Previous version of tool installed, showed up on Insert tab but didn't work.

Current version of tool, after installing, the add-in doesn't appear on the Insert tab and shows up as "inactive". When trying to activate the add-in, I get the error: "Load behavior: Not loaded. A runtime error ocurred during the loading of the COM-Add-in".

Any ideas?

44. John says:

What version of OneNote do you have, Moshe?

45. Evoco says:

Do you have an update for OneNote 2013? It would be great if it works with OneNote 2013 for the moment it not worls with that.

46. John says:

No, no update for 2013.  OneNote 2013 has table sorting built in.

47. Seth says:

I'm having the same problem Moshe describes, running Windows 7 64 bit with 64 bit office.  Ran the Table Of Contents_X64_SetupSETUP.EXE installer, as administrator, with OneNote shut down.  the plugin shows up as m  "inactive application add-ins", Type "COM Add-in"  under OneNote Options —> Add-Ins.

I'd love to try this out – it looks like the only thing I've been able to find that will identify notebooks containing embedded files. I really want to prune my notebooks, but it's like needles in a haystack.  We need the equivalent of a "large mail" search folder in Outlook.

48. John says:

One thing I am trying to track down on this – and it is taking a long time – is that COM can get broken in windows and need repair. The only way I know to repair that is to re-run windows setup and select repair.  Care to give that a try?  I have had it work for me once when I saw this (but then the problem was fixed and I had nothing to troubleshoot afterward so I can't tell why this helped exactly).

49. Joep says:

OneNote 2013 may have sorting out of the box, but ToC-creation is nowhere to be found…

Would you mind sharing the sources since you aren't further developing this anymore?

50. Joep says:

Ah, nevermind – I found the sources. You might want to add a link to the article.

51. deline says:

52. John says:

Which version of OneNote and Windows do you have?

53. Marco says:

Hi John, brilliant app, I used this on my work PC, now installed it at home but got an issue

using laptop – Windows 8.1, Onenote 2010 (x64 – V14.0.7116.5000) latest no updates after this.

But applet fails to load, under COM Add-Ins when I tick TableOfContent I get:

" Load Behaviour: Not loaded. A runtime error occurred during the loading of the COM Add-In "

what can I do – I uninstalled rebooted and re-installed same thing –  (I have word counter & sort sections loading ok)

54. John says:

Can you look in the install folder for the addin to see if there is a log file?  And did it ever work on this machine?

55. Marco.P says:

John can you please clarify what folder exactly should have a log file.

I checked this folder its empty – C:UsersMarcoPAppDataRoamingMicrosoftAddIns

this folder only has 3*.dll, 1*.bmp and 1* .bat file  – C:Program FilesMicrosoftOneNote Table of Contents

I've taken 3 screenshots and uploaded to my onedrive so you can see it- http://1drv.ms/1i9G6Om

NB: On the COM-Addin screen should I point to a location of a file to load it ?  I did try all 3 of your .DLL's  but none of them worked.

56. John says:

Sorry I dropped this for so long. I don't seem to have permission for your link.

The log file would be in that same folder where the addin is, but if the addin can't get loaded, it cannot create the log file, so that (sadly) makes sense.

Did you run setup as an admin?  Uninstall/reinstall?

57. Marco.P says:

That's ok John,  I checked permissions again – try now.  http://1drv.ms/1kEwp65

I have uninstalled again and run setup.exe in the x64 folder as admin. Still fails to load and as you mentioned no log file either .

I'd hate to think I need to uninstall Outlook and re-install that again for a simple addin to work ?

The files installed at this default directory – C:Program FilesMicrosoftOneNote Table of Contents

is the issue with your .bat file pointing to wrong location – instead of Microsoft  its  MS ?

NB added another screenshot – I tried to run your .bat file got this error below

RegAsm : error RA0000 : unable to locate input assembly C:program filesMSOnenote table of contentsONTOCSort.dll or one of its dependencies.

58. Marco.P says:

NB; I tried to edit the .bat file correct path, successfully reg the .dll, updated screenshots file also so you can see (happy to email you file if need be)  .

after successfully registering -I go to OneNote it critically hung – reopened got more errors relating to "toc" asking me to disable it.    After I  end task OneNote and disabled the plugin  OneNote works again.

I tried one more time, this time deleting sort pages and sort sections and word count plugins to ensure they were not conflicting. installed only TOC,  same error occurred.

Sorry to say John.  Any other thoughts happy to try it out for you.

trying to embed the url –

<iframe src="onedrive.live.com/embed width="476" height="288" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

59. John says:

One last thing I can think of _ do you have other addins installed?

60. Rick says:

in one note 2013 simply select all the pages and right click to creak link…paste it one Table of Content page and you will see the links to all the pages/subpages. you can then manually arrange them as you like.

61. Peter says:

Well, I had the same problems as listed above.  Windows 7 SP1 /64 – Office 2010 / 32. But, I was able to get it working by changing the properties of the shortcut by right clicking the shortcut, selecting properties, select the compatibility tab and selecting "run as administrator" in the change privilege level".  My workstation is on a network with restrictions.

62. François St-Arnaud says: