How to make OneNote 2010 speak to you

Did you know OneNote can talk? Here’s how:

Click File | Options to open the option dialog, then click Customize Ribbon. This is to set up the ribbon for the speak command. On the right side of the dialog, expand the Home tab, then click the New Group button at the bottom:

clip_image001

I named the group My New Group.

Then, on the left pane, change the drop down Choose commands from to be All Commands. Scroll down to the Speak command:

clip_image002

Then click the Add>> button to add it to the group named My New Group:

clip_image003

Click OK.

Now go to any page in OneNote and select some text. Click the Home tab and then the Speak button in the group you just created.

OneNote will read the text to you!

This is not unique to OneNote, by the way – all the Office 2010 apps have this.

I was playing around with customizing my ribbon and stumbled across this. It really is a nice feature and I thought I would share it with you. I’m taking a week or so off – see you when I get back!

(And some folks will wonder where the menu command to Solve a system of equations got into my ribbon.  It came from the Math Addin).

Questions, comments, concerns and criticisms always welcome,

John

1. jdaly08307 says:

Lol that's cute! I just tried it and it works….ok so why do I want it speaking to me again? 😉

2. JohnGuin says:

Why WOULDN"T you want it to talk to you? :)

3. Cliff says:

I owe you a cuppa joe, man! This is AWESOME!!! As a writer, having my prose read back to me really helps me catch those nagging bugs. I've been using a third-party app for this, but having something integrated and available from the Home ribbon, well, that's just more than I could have asked for! Good, great, excellent.

Thanks!

4. Cliff says:

I hit something by mistake and my message was sent before I edited it! Hope it made sense (:

5. JohnGuin says:

Glad to help, Cliff.  Be careful with promising coffee to folks that live near Seattle – some of us are snobs about coffee :)

6. Mario says:

Nice tip thanks about this, but it may be true that worked only in english language version of onenote? It doesn't work with me in german.

7. JohnGuin says:

I only tested English.  I only have one machine with speakers.  Sorry for any misunderstanding.

8. Cliff says:

Lol! Those of us in San Francisco are equally snobby when it come to coffee. I was thinking a nice cuppa Kopi Luwak would be in order (:

9. Cliff says:

10. Cliff says:

Sorry about the duplicate post…I don't know what it is about your site and my computer. Hmm…there's never a good qa tester around when you need one (:

11. Cliff says:

Sorry about the duplicate post…I don't know what it is about your site + my computer! Hmm…there's never a good qa tester around when you need one (:

12. Cliff says:

13. JohnGuin says:

No worries about the dupes.  Kona coffee, by the way :)

14. MikeH says:

@Mario

Yes it only works in english versions, I also tried german. It is a pitty, ms ignores it's international customers. They also hide text transcriptions from us.