Updating the Sort Sections powertoy for OneNote 2010

Dan gave me the source code for his Sort Sections powertoy for OneNote 2007. Like all the powertoys for OneNote 2007, they will still work, but only for notebooks in 2007 format. I’ve seen a number of requests from folks who wanted this updated for OneNote 2010, so here it is. Down below my signature, you will see the link to download the setup file. As usual, download the ZIP file, copy the files out of it to your local drive, exit OneNote and run setup.exe. When done, you will see an Add-Ins tab when you start OneNote:

clip_image001

In this case, I have the Sort Sections addin installed as well as the Media Fine Tuner (which currently only works for 2007).  And I obviously did not update the icon.  The section sorter look and works the same as 2007 – when you click it, there is a pause while it sorts everything and then gives me this:

clip_image002

There was one other bug with the addin I fixed. Sections that had been part of section groups would get “pulled up” to the parent when you sorted. This should not happen any more.

I’ll post the code for this next week since the blogging software only lets me attach one file at a time. In the meantime, you can enjoy alphabetizing your sections in 2010 format!

Questions, comments, concerns and criticisms always welcome,

John

sort sections 2010.zip

1. Johnforamerica says:

Awesome, LOVE that you guys are updating the powertoys for us.  With those and the return of the 64-bit printer functionality, there's no looking back!

2. Jan Roelof says:

Thanks very much John! OneNote 2010 is awesome, and the PowerToys make it just that much "awesomer" 😉

3. Lisa says:

I was very excited to download this but it did not work for me 🙁 Also, I am looking for sort pages for 2010.

4. John says:

Lisa, what did not work?

And sort pages is more difficult in OneNote 2010 since we support multiple page levels (indentations).  I'm open to hearing about a design for sorting pages – I haven't been able to come up with one which makes sense in all cases to me.

5. Gryzing says:

That would be interesting. Sort pages would be VERY beneficial for my org and increase adoption – hopefully someone will update that feature to OneNote 2010 soon 🙂

6. Saurabh Garg says:

Thanks John, but it doesn't work for me. When I click on the sort icon nothing happens, sections are still unsorted.

-Saurabh

7. JohnGuin says:

How long did you wait?  It's pretty slow, and I thought about adding a progress UI but it didn't seem like it was worth the trouble.

8. Saurabh Garg says:

I waited quite a long time, about 10-15 mins. I just created a new notebook with 5 sections and still nothing. Just so that you know sort sections add-in appears in installed OneNote legacy add-ins.

I think there might be a problem with my OneNote installation. I installed Mathematics Add-in and it is only visible in Word and not in OneNote. I see a warning in COM add-in page – A runtime error occurred during loading of COM add-in. Any idea about how to debug these problems?

Thanks.

-Saurabh

9. JohnGuin says:

Are you an admin on the machine?  Can you run OneNote as an administrator and see if that changes the behavior?

10. SaurabhGarg says:

I am using Windows 7 with UAC enabled and yes I am using an Administrator account. I tried running OneNote as an administrator also but still sorting doesn't work and no Mathematics addin. I tried using Vista SP3 and XP Sp3 compatibility mode with no results.

-Saurabh

11. Jan Roelof says:

Lisa, for sorting pages you might try my own attempt at a OneNote 2010 sorting utility. Download at http://www.donationcoder.com/…/index.php.

12. Mark says:

John, thanks for posting this. Very helpful. I too would like a good page sorter if someone can figure out how to make it fit all scenarios. Thanks!

13. Nicolae says:

I want to UNSORT group sections. Is it possible? Thank you

14. JohnGuin says:

you may be able to type CTRL+Z to have Undo right after you sort.  Anything past that is not possible – just Drag and Drop to put them in whatever order you want.

15. David says:

Hi, I find that my sections sort automatically. I have a section group called 2010 whithin which there are 12 sections for each month. As many times as I sort them by month when I come back they resort themselves alphabetically. The file is shared via LiveMesh.

I am just trying to understand why you would need the powertoy if it does it on its own. Also, would you program allow a sort by month?

Thanks

16. John says:

OneNote should not change the section order automatically.  It sounds like you may be seeing some odd behavior with LiveMesh.  LiveMesh is not a supported storage location for OneNote (in short, their sync mechanism can cause problems with the OneNote sync mechanism).  You will be much better off if you move your notebooks to SkyDrive.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "allow a sort by month."

17. David says:

Thank you. I will try SkyDrive though I will first have to figure out how it works.

Sort by month I mean that it will sort Jan, Feb, March and so on.

18. pSKratcH says:

this post is for JohnGuin and SaurabhGarg

John i much appreciate the comment as to running onenote 2010 with administrator rights. lol i'm still gettin used to this windows 7 stuff but that fixed the math problem and i'm so happy. thank you very much. Saurabh, right click and go to compatibility. run as admin and you should be fine. again, thanks john. lol i don't even know what this sorting stuff is but i'm glad this page helped

19. Randy says:

When sorting a section group that contained section groups (which themselves had sections), the sections in the nested section groups got pulled out of the nested section and placed in the parent group.  Ouch.

20. John says:

Ugh.  Was the notebook in 2010 or 2007 format?

21. MH says:

I just bought OneNote 2010 – I hate it… The sorting add-ins do not work. The icons are visible but the rest is a mystery to me.

22. Ryan says:

Works great for me, thanks!  I hope they add this into the next version of OneNote.  I would like to see automatic sorting as an option for both pages and sections.

23. JohnGuin says:

MH – sorry for the  problems.  What happens when you click the button?

24. Lukas says:

I see you have an academic and a mathematics items on your ribbon… What are they? Math and academic tools? Where can i get those? Thank you! Oh and for updating the add in aswell 😛

25. JohnGuin says:

the math addin is here: http://www.microsoft.com/…/details.aspx

I've honestly lost the link to the Academic addin, but believe it is this: http://www.microsoft.com/…/details.aspx

26. Lukas says:

Thank you!

And WOW, that math add in is incredibly fantastic!

27. Klaas says:

Worked like a charm! Saves me a lot of time and aggrevation!

28. Manuj says:

This is extremely helpful. Love OneNote more and more. Thanks!

29. Steven Buehler says:

So how 'bout an update for OneNote 2013? 🙂

30. John says:

I really doubt I will have the time to update this.  Anyone else interested?  The code is available and I can post it here if anyone likes…

31. Paul says:

John, will this work with OneNote 2007 which I'm still using? The 2007 Powertoy zipfile is unavailable on Dan's page. Or can I access your 2007 version?

Thanks.

32. John says:

Paul, this requires OneNote 2010.  Dan might still have the code for 2007 – I'll ask and see if he still has it.

33. John says:

Thanks, appreciate.

34. OneNote 2013 says:

Great & Useful tool, that you John!

but does this tool work for onenote 2013?

35. John says:

No, I have not updated it for 2013.  I give the code out if someone wants to update it, though – should be a small change to use the ribbon instead of the MSO toolbars.

36. BarryG says:

Is there a tool like this to sort pages within a section?

37. John Payne says:

I downloaded and installed this sorter. When I try to run it I get the following error message:

Could not Update Hierarchy from OneNote.  Error code:  Exception from HResult:0x80042014.

Thganks

38. John says:

That is "The object does not exist" error, which doesn't say much at this point.  Can you  get the onomspy tool to work at all?  blogs.msdn.com/…/onenote-spy-omspy-for-onenote-2010.aspx  – when you launch it, does the text box display a bunch of XML text?

39. Jörg Reinhardt says:

I would be interested on the source to make it work with OneNote 2013 – my personal email is jr(at)dcminden,de.