Mathematics Add-in for OneNote 2010 is available

Just wanted to point this out – there is an addin for OneNote and Word that uses the equation support we added for OneNote 2010 to actually go ahead and solve the equations.  It’s a free download at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=ca620c50-1a56-49d2-90bd-b2e505b3bf09

From the FAQ (I’m just starting to work with this myself, so this is all new to me too):

Q: How can I get support for the Mathematics Add-in?

A:Questions about using the Mathematics Add-in in Word should be asked in the “Working with Graphics and Inserts” forum on Answers. Questions about using the Mathematics Add-in in OneNote should be asked in the“OneNote: Sharing, Creating and Managing Notebooks”forum.

Here’s a teaser of the UI. Notice the Mathematics tab in the ribbon:

clip_image001

Give it a shot!

Questions, comments, concerns and criticisms always welcome,

John

1. Wouter says:

Omg 😀 now this is what I call very useful as a engineering student.

We get lots of math and sometimes you need to draw a graph of course doing this by your own and getting the good curve can be a pain in the ass when writing on paper or tablet. This is really really neat. When I tried this out you'll get my feedback.

Can't wait to get my tablet back though in about a week, had to send it to the repairman :(

ps. I don't know if I'm at the right address here but a really great addition would be a plugin which lets you define custom shapes. This would allow me then to define custom shapes that for example represent a resistor, capicator or other engineering symbols. What would be even more awesome is that when you are able to define connection points such as in Visio.

pss. Does the graph also work for 3D graphs?

2. Wouter says:

Nevermind that last question. "pss. Does the graph also work for 3D graphs?" 😉

3. Wouter says:

Hmmmm i just tested it. For me as tablet user it isn't that helpfull as I hoped it would be. The thing I find disappointing is that I first have to draw a hole formula by the microsoft equation editor before I can plot it. I would've rather liked it that I called the graph function and typed something like y = 2x^2 or y = 2*diff(x^2,y) or something.

4. Nikhil says:

Its not very intuitive im afraid….  I downloaded this add-in only because I have a table of data and I wanted to plot a simple chart without going to excel.

I also tried plotting an equation, i.e. I typed in the same formula as in your teaser and I'm not able to get the graph going…

5. JohnGuin says:

What's happening?  Do you get an error or anything else?

6. James says:

I go to options (yes Onenote 2010 WIndows 7),

I go to add ins,  And Math is in disabled add ins.then i go to MANAGE COM ADD INS.

COM ADD INS. I checkmark Mathematics, and click OK?

Cause when I do that, it doesnt appear, only in WORD

7. James says:

I go to options (yes Onenote 2010 WIndows 7),

COM ADD INS. I checkmark Mathematics, and click OK?

Cause when I do that, it doesnt appear, only in WORD