Calendar/Planner addin updated

Two events came together to get me to update this powertoy. First, a reader was trying to use this with OneNote 2007 but wanted to customize the date format used. Since I just use whatever format you have defined in Windows, changing the format of the date for this powertoy is the same as changing the date format in Windows. Just go to the Control Panel and in Regional Options is the setting to change the date format.

Second, I needed this to be updated myself. It’s vacation time coming up and a trip to the Grand Canyon here in the USA is in order. I wanted to put together a section with ideas for what to do while there – hiking, site seeing, rafting trips and the like. I also wanted to put the schedule together and needed a way to track a week’s worth of activities. The calendar/planner agenda maker fits the bill nicely – I just tell it the start day and the number of days, and it creates a set of pages with an agenda for me.

As usual, the download is below my signature. Nothing to install here – just unzip the file and run the executable. Also, the only code that changed was updating it for OneNote 2010 (and a new icon) so I’m not going to bother with the code again. If you want it, it is still available from the original link.

Questions, comments, concerns and criticisms always welcome,

OneNote 2010 Calendar

1. Ed says:

This is just what I need for planning my upcoming vacation. It'll take all my ideas and put them into a manageable format.

While I'm writing, do you have any plans to update the Daily Journal app that allows Outlook users to keep a daily journal in OneNote?

2. John says:

Thanks for the kind words.  I'm not sure who wrote the Daily Journal app and can't speak for if it will be updated.  I would have to suggest finding the author of it and asking.

3. sfb says:

Should this still work with OneNote 2007? I can't seem to run it and have .NET programmability enabled on OneNote:

Stopped working

Problem Signature 07: 13

Problem Signature 08: b

Problem Signature 09: System.IO.FileNotFoundException

OS Version: 6.1.7600.

Locale ID: 1033

4. John says:

No, it won't work with ON 2007.  The original version (link above) will work and the functionality of the 2 is the same.  Sorry for the confusion.

5. David says:

Thank you John, awesome little tool that accomplishes exactly what I was looking for!

6. Bill says:

This should be part of One Note Thanks its awesome!!!!!

7. Andrew says:

Ooops please cancel previous post re 2007 to 2010 conversion as I have just found your 9 Jun 2010 2:19 PM entry saying to use IOneNoteEvents instead.

It did not contain the phrase "OneNoteAddIn_Event" so my search didn't find it at first!

I'll try that and see how it goes, many thanks.

8. markEmark says:

thanks fro updating this, it is good to be able to use it in OneNote 2010 now.

9. Richard says:

This is a cool Powertoy, but when I run it, it doesn't have a the "Make Calendar" button at the bottom of the window, so it doesn't do anything.  What's wrong?

10. John says:

Sorry for the problems. What version of OneNote do you have?  And there should be a log file named OneNoteCalendarMaker_error_log.txt in the same folder as the calendar planner EXE file.  Is there an error logged in that file?

11. Kirsty says:

Hi. I have the same problem with the missing "make calendar" button. I'm running XP and onenote 2010. I wasn't sure if the box was just too big for the screen on my netbook. There are no error notes in the log file. What am I doing wrong?

12. JohnGuin says:

Can you send me a screen shot of what you see?  My email link is in the upper right.

13. m scott veach says:

hi…i've tried running this on both my desktop and tablet but in both cases i get a crash msg

of "onenote calendar has stopped working" — im running windows 7 64 bit in both cases —

is this os not compatible?

14. JohnGuin says:

Should work fine in x64.  At what point does it stop working – on boot or when creating a page?  What version of OneNote do you have, and how did you install OneNote?  Lastly, are there any details for the error?

15. m. scott veach says:

hi, thanks for reply!

so, it stops working the moment i run the .exe (on both computers) — and there aren't any details — I think could probably change an OS setting but right now I get a windows pop-up that says "program has stopped working – checking with microsoft for possible solutions" and no other information;  after a few seconds it closes.

I have MS Office Home and Student 2010 – version 14.0.6023.1000 (32 bit) – I downloaded from MS and installed that way.

16. m. scott veach says:

ah… i think it has to do with the fact that this version of office uses the "click-to-run" feature? does that sound right?

17. JohnGuin says:

Yes.  Unfortunately, addins do not work with Click to Run installs.  The fix is to download the MSI file and run setup from it.

Sorry for the problems.

18. Heather Moore says:

Can you tell me which MSI file and where I can get it from? Thanks

19. John says:

There is no MSI for this toy – just hte executable file itself.  It does not install.  Instead, you just run it.  Double click the OneNote Calendar.exe fle in the zip file below by signature at the end of this article.

20. Heather Moore says:

Ok, well it doesn't seem to work for me. The exe is running and I'm able to hit Make Calendar but then nothing happens and there is nothing in the error log. 🙁

21. John says:

Heather – I'm seeing the same thing.  Let me investigate.

22. JohnGuin says:

Are you running the exe as an administrator (right click and select Run As Administrator)?  Without the log, something is failing early on…

23. Lee Edwards says:

Not sure if this is still live but these are just what i have been looking for , but one thing is still missing for me , I need a detailed address book template for onenote

Any suggestions?

24. JohnGuin says:

Cheesy way to do it – create an Outlook contact, populate all the fields you want, then export to OneNote.  Wipe the specific contact data and save that page as a template.

25. Lee Edwards says:

Theres the rub

Since i installed Outlook stand alone and then office 2010 the export feature will not work

What i read was it has to be installed as a suite in order for it to work correctly

I do not want to uninstall outlook and loose the countless customizations i have built in now

So i guess im stuck as is ?

26. JohnGuin says:

Have you tried a repair of the Outlook install?  This is the same setup I have at home and it works (and is expected to work) in this configuration.

What else have you tried?

In Outlook, does File | Options | Addins show the addin as Disabled?

27. Lee Edwards says:

I have tried installing the feature from the CD and it says this is not available ( running from my computer )

Repairing the 2010 install is not as straight forward to do as it use to be is it?

28. Lee Edwards says:

Ok ran the repair tool from the MS support site still same errors

29. JohnGuin says:

If you click File | Help in both OneNote and Outlook, does either show as a "Click to Run" install over on the right?

When you ran from the CD and it says "this" is not available – what exactly is "this"?

In Outlook, does File | Options | Addins show the addin as Disabled?

30. Lee Edwards says:

Neither show as click to install

When i tried to install the import/export feature for outlook to run from my computer it had an X on it and said that was not available

There is no import / export add in showing at all

31. Lee Edwards says:

Hey John

I got it to work , But thanks for all the replies

Now i will put to use your contact export as an address book teamplate for ONote

So I can just export a contact page correct?

32. Lee Edwards says:

OH BTW having my own MS Tech on hand for a few days was as cool as it gets!

Thanks John

33. John says:

What was the solution?

And yes, you can export a contact to a page now.

34. Lee says:

I did the feature install from the Main CD for Office 2010 instead of the stand alone CD for Outlook

I am getting as far as export to a file but after that I am not sure what to send it to next or how to actually get it into ONote?

35. John says:

Just open the contact in Outlook and on the Contact tab is a OneNote button.  Click it to send it to OneNote.  it also creates a link from the page in OneNote back to the contact item in Outlook.  Give it a shot and let me know if this helps.

36. Lee says:

Worked great!

Thanks for all your help , really cool you would do all this for me

Expect a bill from Bill??  LOL

37. Mike says:

I was playing around with OneNote 2013 and happened across your website.  Very useful and a great find.  I was wondering if the version will work for 2013 or if you might be updating it at some point.

38. Shen says:

I tried to install it as administrator, but it does not create the templates for me. I have .Net programming support enabled. Using OneNote 2010 and Windows 7.

39. JohnGuin says:

Mike – I do not have plans to update this for 2013.  THe code is available if someone wants to take this up.

Shen – can you look in the folder where you installed this for a log file?  That should have an error logged in it.  What is that error?  And what format is your notebook in?