Some quick notes on updating OneNote 2007 addins for OneNote 2010

I was asked how to do this and wrote up some “down and dirty” notes on what I found works well.

Assuming you have a toolbar based addin, here’s the steps to get it working for OneNote 2010 (and only on OneNote 2010):

Find and replace “2007” strings in schema namespaces to “2010”

Delete the ON 12 COM reference

Add the ON 14 COM reference (set NOPIA if using VS2010 – http://blogs.msdn.com/b/descapa/archive/2010/04/27/onenote-2010-and-visual-studio-2010-compatibility-issues.aspx)

—these next 2 steps only apply if you created an addin that uses a toolbar icon to be invoked—

Change your GUID to be unique so that you don’t stomp on 12 addins

And lastly, change the OnEvent handler to this:

bool OnEvent([In] OneNote.IOneNoteEvents evt, [In] String strParameter);

Do NOT:

Change the registry settings for the toolbar info from the 12.0 branch

Change the COM Import GUID [ComImport, Guid(“C9590FA7-2132-47fb-9A78-AF0BF19AF4E6”)]

We’re working on getting the OneNote 2010 documentation finished, but if you have older code you want to see working with OneNote 2010, this may get you going for now.

Questions, comments, concerns and criticisms always welcome,
John

1. MS needs to be more flexible with plugins.  I'm tired of upgrading Office, Visual Studio, or whatever, only to have all my favorite plugins/addons not work simply because the GUID changed!  It's quite often that a VERY useful plugin is simply no longer being developed and then it's version locked and I can't use it.  This is a major pain point for me and it just seems silly because most MS products/features are extremely backwards compatible, but plugins never seem to be.

2. JohnGuin says:

Good point.  Thanks for the feedback.

3. Steve Silverwood says:

John:  Any plans on having the powertoys redone to support 2010 for those of us who aren't adept at the ins and outs of all this?  My programming days are apparently LONG in the past, since it's been over a decade since I sat down and banged out any code at all… and if memory serves, that was Visual dBASE code…! 🙂  (Yes, I know, heresy, but that's where I was working at the time, ok?)

//Steve//

4. John says:

Trying to get the more popular ones updated.  Also, trying to find time to do that…  Keep your eyes open!

5. Michael says:

Could you give your contact information in case someone does re-code the plug-ins so they can forward them to you to post?

Best,

Michael

6. JohnGuin says:

Just click the "Email blog author" link at the upper right.  That sends me mail and I can reply to that.

7. Glen Foster says: