Creating OneNote pages with just the title and no date/time stamp

Over the weekend there was a question on the iheartonenote.com site about creating a new page that does not show the date and time by default. This person did not want to click back into the date and time text and delete it each time, but did want the title visible. This is unlike using the WINDOWS+N key to create a new page in Unfiled Notes since that command will give you a completely blank page – no title and no date time either.

There is a way to do this and it only takes about a minute to create. First, open the section where you want to have the pages no longer show date and time when created. Then create a new page and highlight the date and time:

clip_image001

You can hit the delete key to get rid of them. Also, when you highlight each line of text, you can click the control that appears on the right to modify the date or time.

Now over on the page tabs control, click the down arrow next to the new page command. You should get this pop up menu:

clip_image002

Select the More Template Choices and Options… command at the bottom. If you can’t get this pop up menu, you can click File | Page Setup to get the same behavior.

Now the Templates pane will open. At the bottom is a link to Save current page as template. Click it.

clip_image003

You will get this dialog. Just give your new template a name and check the box to make it the default for the section:

clip_image004

Click Save and you are done. Now new pages for that section will show the title bar but not have the date and time stamp on them!

clip_image005

Questions, comments, concerns and criticisms always welcome,

John

1. Shawn Lee says:

I’ve always wondered if there was a way for OneNote to automatically update the date/time field whenever I edit a page.  Any tips?  Thanks John.

2. JohnGuin says:

Those time fields are for the creation of the page.  If you right click some content on a page, you can see the modified time on the bottom of the context menu.  It also tells you who made the changes.  The table of contents powertoy also creates a table based on the last modified time of the newest content on each page

3. Lee Kennedy says:

Is there a way of forcing the title and date/time stamp to appear when clicking Win + S or Win + N as I prefer this behaviour?

4. JohnGuin says:

The only way I can see to do this would be to create an AutoHotKey script to send OneNote the keystroke commands to show the title bar  (F11, Format | Show Page Title | F11).

Something to think about for future versions.

5. Mohsin says:

Thanks John, for saving my day  !

6. MTurits says:

Now that we're in Office 2010, is there anyway to have One Note automatically open a new page with the date stamp in the title? The reason is so that you can see the date of the page creation in the tabs on the right of the screen, thanks.

7. JohnGuin says:

No, there is no way to do this.  You would need to write an addin to add this functionality.

8. Klodmoro says:

Hi John,

I searched for the answer of this and couldn't find it:

How to disable the Date & Time note under a clipping in OneNote 2010 (Screen clipping taken: 2/7/2012 9:37 AM)?

Thank you for your help!

C.

9. John says:

There is no way to disable that.  I've heard this request before and will let our design team know.

10. Gigi says:

Genius…worked perfectly. I've been searching for a way to get rid of that date stamp in OneNote since I got it. THANKS!

11. TC says:

Is there a way to create a table of contents that will reference each section, then each page with-in the section?

Thanks,

12. Julie says:

Is there a way to edit the font of the time and date that appears automatically?

13. JohnGuin says:

No, there is no way to set the font the date/time controls use.

You could copy/paste the date time, change the font in the pasted copy, then delete the original if you really wanted to use a different font.  You could probably write an autohotkey script to do this.

14. Ceejames says:

I am a heavy OneNote, have been using for years and have thousands of notes. Recently started experimenting with it for things more than notes and I am having problems on exporting. Particularly lack of options. The biggest option I would like is simply to remove the time and date stamp from notes. Can think of tons of other export options, but that one is particularly trying as export say 50 pages of outline notes, and it is a pain to manually edit the resulting word file of all the time and date stamps.

Maybe an option or setting I am missing. Using the latest versions of Onenote.

Thanks

Ceejames

fifthpocketdiy@gmail.com

15. Joe says:

Anyway to set this page default for all of OneNote?  By section is a little lack luster.

16. Mike Shrout says:

John, There has to be a way to turn the date and time stamp on in onenote.  I somehow turned it off on on of my notebooks.  But on one of the other notebooks I have, when I hit new page, it defaults the date and time under the title of the page.  I for the life of me cannot find out how to turn it back on.  Please see if you can find out how to do this.

17. Kolina says:

I have customized a template and saved it under the "always use specific template" when the save as a template box appears it asks for the template name. I checked the box as a default template for new pages in the current section.

is there a way to save the template name to reflect the current date when the page is created?

if it needs to be added as an add in how do I do that?