Image Rotator Powertoy for OneNote 2007

Image Rotation Tool

Gary Neitzke decided to close a small functionality hole in OneNote.  It’s easy to rotate ink or drawings you create, but images cannot be rotated.  Enter Gary’s Image Rotation Powertoy.  This one is great for a couple of reasons.

First, it lets you rotate images :-)  .  "Images," in OneNote terms, are a type of data on a page – the easiest way to create an image is to copy a picture to a clipboard, then paste it into OneNote.  (Text, Audio files, etc.. are treated as different data types.)  Click the Image Tools toolbar icon and you can rotate the image 90 degrees to the right or left, or flip it vertically or horizontally.

The second reason this is outstanding is that Gary decided to implement a floating "toolbar" like-object which is opened when you click the toolbar icon.  While this makes perfect sense from a UI point of view, technically, this is a great new technique for powertoys for OneNote.  You are no longer limited to just the click event of the toolbar button!  More on how to do this soon.

Here it is:(update March 4, 2009: the download link is now below my signature at the end of this entry).

Here it is in action.  Before rotating an image:

image

And after rotating 90 degrees to the right:

image

Be careful with this one if you depend on text recognition in images for searching.  Obviously, you will get erratic results if you rotate images with text and make the text upside down before letting OneNote index it…

Questions, comments, concerns and criticism always welcome,

John Guin

OneNoteImageTools.zip

1. Gary Neitzke took a few minutes to create a draft of how to create a "floating toolbar" with your addins

2. Gary Neitzke took a few minutes to create a draft of how to create a "floating toolbar" with

3. In XP Pro under VM’s Fusion on a MacBook Pro .net 2.0 and security and SP1 all installed.

I see the rotator icon on the toolbar. Clipping an image with OneNote and pasting it onto a page; clicking the icon it just grays out and I get no floating toolbar nor other rotation control.

I’ve reinstalled .net and repaired the tool several times.

4. JohnGuin says:

Sorry for the problems, Joe.

The basic troubleshooting steps are where I recommend starting.

1. Uninstall, reboot Windows to make sure OneNote is not running in the background.

2. Check for windows updates (the .net framework may still need updating).

3. Run setup again (and be sure to run setup.exe – not the MSI)

a.  right click the file and select "run as admin"

b.  during setup, ensure the box for "install for all users" is checked

4. Then start OneNote.

5. Joe O'Laughlin says:

Hi John, thanks for the custom sequence.

I get different windows on right click of the .exe .

I do have a runAs.jpg from screen shots I could send if you wanted to see them. Maybe resulting from running this under Fusion?

No success yet – same kind of gray out.

6. JohnGuin says:

Hello Joe,

Sure – can you send me the image?  And what do you mean "Running under Fusion?"

7. John Guin says:

Oh, you can mail the images to johnguin.  Use the hotmail ending (boy, I hate spam bots which harvest email addresses).

John

8. Fusion is VMWare for the Mac.  It allows you to run windows concurrently with OS/X giving you the feeling of actually running Windows apps inside OS/X – which, incidently is probably the best OS I’ve ever used… if money were no issue, I would own a MacBook with VMWare Fusion on it – the ease of use (efficiency) of Mac and the compaitibilty of Windows… fused together (pun shamefully intended)

9. Ashley says:

This tool is AMAZING!! Thanks for creating it. I put notes in from pdf files and some pages are viewed better in a landscape format and I could never rotate the individual pages! Installation was a breeze and I just reopened OneNote and the icon was there. Thanks again!

10. Spartacus says:

I have the same problem as Joe above: the ‘image tools’ button is ‘grayed’ out.

I’m running OneNote 07 on Windows XP Tablet Edition.

I’ve tried the exact sequence that John suggested, didn’t help.

Any ideas???

Thanks!

-Spartacus

11. JohnGuin says:

Can you double check to see if the toolbar is showing up "below" the OneNote window?

12. PeteJacobsen says:

This tool is SO nice for me!  I scan a lot of materials into OneNote, like handouts at meetings, and I had a fair collection of charts that were originally printed in landscape mode.  There I am, with head cocked over to one side, trying to read the proposed schedule!  PRESTO!  Problem gone!

It does seem very important to hunt underneath the OneNote window for dialog boxes.  Once I figured that out, PowerToys have installed and worked quite well for me.

13. Ben says:

The toolbar button does not appear on my machine for anyone but the admin user who installed it.

Is there an issue with running this as a non-admin, or as a user other than the one who installed it?  I am not presented with any option to "install for all users" as you suggest.

14. JohnGuin says:

Hmm – there should be a screen during setup which asks where you want to install the addin (the default is c:program files…) and a radio button to select to install for all users or just the current user.  If you run setup for yourself, does the addin work?  The only difference between the two is whether the registry keys get created for all users or just the current user.

15. Ben says:

I am prompted for the installation folder (C:Program FilesMicrosoftOneNote ImageTools), but that is all.  Is there a commandline switch I can use to specify all users?

16. JohnGuin says:

Let me see what I can find out about the setup files Visual Studio builds.  Sorry for the problems,

17. Ben says:

Thanks.  The tool works great for the user it installs for!  It corrects a crucial oversight by Microsoft, IMHO.

18. Is there a way to get free rotation of any angle (besides just the standard 45, 90, 180, etc.?  I teach math and would like to be able to rotate an image of a protractor when demonstrating how to draw a pie chart by hand.

Elizabeth

19. Ben says:

Update:  I tried using the ALLUSERS=1 switch as follows, but it didn’t help.

MSIEXEC.EXE /i "OneNote ImageTools.msi" ALLUSERS=1

20. Chris says:

I just wanted to thank you for making this. It’s awesome!

21. David says:

Same thing here on Vista.  I see a button named Rotate on the drawing toolbar but all options are grayed out.  Interestingly, I disabled all add-ons and shut down OneNote and restarted it as part of my troubleshooting and the button still showed up.  Shouldn’t it disappear if add-ons are disabled??

Thanks

22. David says:

OK, I see that rotate is part of OneNote itself and NOT the add-on.  I’m assuming that is what the earlier poster was experiencing as well.  I think it is only for drawings done within OneNote, which is why it is gray when we try to select something – it’s only meant for OneNote drawing objects.

So the real question is, why can’t I find the toolbar that the add-on is supposed to add?

23. David says:

OK, this is the fix.  Use the little toolbar button that probably shows up on the far right and select "display toolbars on two rows" or something to that effect.  Suddenly the image tools icon appears (previously with all icons it would not appear even though there was a checkbox next to it).

I wish I could give better instructions but the toolbar command GUI is IMHO screwy and now the menu that was there disappeared after setting it to two levels.  And no such commands for one level or two levels are found under the view menu.

24. David says:

BTW, now that I have it working, thank you!

25. SLC_Fan says:

Just found this today. This allows me to EASILY use the lecture slides that the occasional odd professor puts in PDF format landscape format, on my tablet. This saves TONS of time changing things on all sorts of levels to make things useful for notes in class. THANKS!!!

26. Lawson says:

Thank you thank you!  I was taking pictures using onenote mobile on my smartphone, but the photos often synced in to desktop onenote in the wrong orientation.  There was no easy way to fix the problem.  Now there is.

27. Derek says:

Was there ever any solution to the installlation problems detailed above.  I followed all the instructions, and the Image Tools toobar does not appear anywhere. Not sure where to go with this.  Important feature as most of the PDFs I import in for note taking are in landscape.

28. JohnGuin says:

The last thing to check is to ensure the .net programmability support is installed.  Grab your install CD and open control panel.  Do an Add/Remove for Office (or just OneNote) and ensure the (optional) .net programmability support is installed under the OneNote tree.

Let me know if that doesn’t help,

29. mike says:

I can’t download the tool, are you out of bandwidth? i really need it πŸ™

30. JohnGuin says:

The server is being upgraded this weekend (5/11/08).  Sorry for the problems.  It should be back up soon.

31. mike says:

thank you! at first i thought the server was no longer maintained, and i got here too late.

32. Ms. Fanny says:

Hello John,

This is the second time that I have tried to use this tool but it has been impossible for me

My situation is the same commented by Spartacus (Jan. 26), I tried what David said (Mar.01) but it keeps appearing grey out and I don’t able the "image tools" either.

Please, help!

33. JohnGuin says:

Does OneNote have the .net Programmability support installed?  Grab your install CD and open control panel.  Do an Add/Remove for Office (or just OneNote) and ensure the (optional) .net programmability support is installed under the OneNote tree.  It does not install by default, and most of the time this is the cause of the problem.

Sorry for the pain,

34. Ms. Fanny says:

Hello John Guin,

Few minutes ago, I installed the license of ON2007 and now, image tools came up successfully.

Thanks for your support and patience.

35. Kevin says:

I do not have the CD, but I installed this tool and it worked perfectly – it solved my problem of not being able to insert upright slides from Adobe Acrobat Reader.

36. Oliver says:

Hi, thanks loads for this, bit of trouble to start with but installed the .net support off disc and now working fine. Nice one, one note is now perfect.

37. Adam says:

Thanks for building this tool. I’ve installed it but can’t seem to get it to work. It shows up on my toolbar. I click it… I get the hour glass.. and then nothing. The image tool icon is then greyed out and I can’t click it.

any ideas? thanks

Adam

38. JohnGuin says:

Did you try this yet?

39. gil says:

what about image cropping are you planning on adding that?

40. I got a request a few days ago to see about posting the code for the image rotator powertoy. Gary agreed

41. JohnGuin says:

And here is the link to the code:  http://blogs.msdn.com/johnguin/archive/2008/08/14/code-for-image-rotator-and-some-upcoming-work-for-test.aspx (down at the bottom of the article).

42. Montevale says:

Second that for Image Cropping… any plans?

43. One of my hobbies which I never have time for is playing around with my old TRS-80 Color Computer . For

44. James says:

If anyone is still having trouble installing (as I did) note that you -do- need to have .NET support installed for OneNote (which is not installed by default). You’ll need your OneNote CD to install it. Without that, it won’t work.

45. Will says:

Is there a workaround for the installation problem Ben identified?  I’m having the same issue — when I install I’m not given an option to install for all users, and the image tools only show up when I’m logged in as the administrator that installed it…  It works great if I’m admin.

Thanks

46. grad student says:

took a while to figure out how to get it going…but it’s great now!!! thanks so much!!!

47. Richard Lester says:

I just reinstalled windows xp, Office 2003 and OneNote 2007. I then installed the image rotator tool. In short the tool does not work.  I get the icon at the top of the page, but when I click on it, it is greyed out.

I followed your advice about reintalling the tool.  I have also installed .net and I still can’t get the tool to work.

I had the tool working before I had to reinstall everything on my computer. However, it does not work now…please help!

My email addres is:  rel56@earthlink.net

Hope to hear from you soon.

Richard

48. JohnGuin says:

Hello Richard,

When you mention you installed ".net," do you mean the .net programmability support for OneNote or the .net framework?

Both are needed.

If they are both installed, I recommend uninstall the image rotator, rebooting, installing the image rotator and trying again.  Also, check to see if the toolbar pops up "below" the OneNote window.  It may be getting hidden there.

Hope this helps,

49. James says:

I didn’t see any license information when I installed this as a test, can this be used in a corporate environment?

James

50. JohnGuin says:

Yes.  This addin can be used anywhere – thanks for using OneNote!

John

51. Thanks for the add-in.  I have a few suggestions that would make it better in my opinion:

1. Make the toolbar tockable

2. Allow the toolbar to be made visible by selecting it under View >> Toolbars or by right-clicking the toolbar and selecting the add-in’s menu.

3. When it is visible, don’t show it in the taskbar!

4. Make it faster.

Thanks again.

52. Marvin Rios says:

I travel every once in a while and I like to have some notes with me.  Its easiest to scan to PDF and print to OneNote.  Unfortunately, it was always side ways.  I figured switching to landscape would help and it didnt. I figured I’d google it and find a way to do it and didnt think I’d come across your add-on.  The tool is Awesome! Thanks!

53. David Stokes says:

I had the problem of the tool only being visible in the administrator account. I solved this in Windows XP by:

– uninstalling the rotation tool

– right click rotation tool setup.exe and select ‘run as’

– instal using the working user account (but untick the box which says something like’protect my computer etc’)

– restart OneNote

– click the ‘more tools’ arrow at the right end of a toolbar

– select the rotating protractor tool

David

54. Kenneth says:

I am a medical student and this tool has saved me HOURS of frustration.  Literally!  I have been so frustrated when professors post PDF’s and they come up upside-down.  I’ve been copying the files to jpg, and manually rerotating them manually!

Thank you!

55. One of my commitments which I added to my list here at work is maintaining this blog. It’s been almost

56. Jonnx says:

Great tool! I use my tablet in all my classes and this makes my handouts finally readable. Great Job solving a huge problem!

57. Dugger says:

Please check link, not Working ATM.

58. JohnGuin says:

Thanks.  The server that was hosting many of these went away – bear with me as I restore from backups.

59. Bill F says:

I have attempted to get the image rorator to work, following every suggestion in this blog. No luck. It is present in Add/Remove programs. It is not present on OneNote icon or toolbar. Please give me an exact description of where it should be and how to access it.

Thanks!

Bill

billf at sheltertech.com

60. David says:

Thank you for the add-on, it really helped me out with pdf rotation issues in onenote

61. Bill Kendrick says:

Sooooo sweet!!! It took me a while to find the little icon on the tool bar to turn on the floating ImageTools bar, but I got it.

My customers submit POs in landscape PDF format and now I don’t have to turn my laptop on its side to read them.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

62. Ron says:

Works great (once I found the icon tagged on to the end of the standard toolbar)thank you for this. But why oh why isn’t this part of the standard package.  Onenote is such a great tool but suffers terribly from some missing functions such as rotate text, crop an image and group items.

2007 is so much better than 2003 so can only hope that the next release will plug some of the holes.

63. Rob Smith says:

Great little tool. Thanks!

John, you could really do with creating a summary of the need for the .NET Program support above. It took me a good 10mins to locate the solution by which time a lot of people may well have given up and aborted!

Thanks again.

Rob

64. JohnGuin says:

Good point.  I’ve started adding a readme file to the downloads that includes this information.  Thanks!

65. Bruce Rusk says:

Just to confirm that the installation issues for non-admin users are still there.

I tried the "Run as" trick suggested by David Stokes above, and it did not work (XP Pro SP2). Whatever I tried, (a) there was *never* an "install for all users" check box (the only choice ever given was of the installation location), and (b) the add-in never showed up for the limited user account (it DID work for the admin user, but was not even listed in Tools->Options->Add-Ins for the limited user).

The workaround was to log in as an admin, temporarily change the limited user to an administrator, run a repair as the formerly-limited user, then change the role back to a limited account. Now it works fine from that account.

66. Eddie says:

Great tool! Thanks for creating and sharing it.

67. shirley says:

I LOVE YOU GUYS FOR CREATING THE TOOL AND FOR THE TROUBLESHOOT!!!!!!!

68. Alec says:

Just to be certain…. when I’m checking to see if the compatibility is installed for ON in the tree… I do see the .NET Programmability Support tab.

Does this mean it is installed properly for your tool to work?  If the programmability was NOT installed would it just not appear in the tree?

Thanks

69. John says:

If it was not installed, it would appear but have a red X through it.  As long as it does not have the red X, you should be set.

Good question, though.  I’ll try to find some time to update the readme for these toys.

70. Pat says:

This is great! Thank you very much.

71. Rich says:

Hooray!!! I love this power toy!! Good on you for making it.

72. John says:

Just figured it out.  Great tool, very helpful. Thanks!

73. NO says:

This is so brilliant!  Thanks a lot.  John, it took me a long time to find the image button.  I’m not sure if it wasn’t there all the time I was installing and re-installing.  Could you please add a screen shot or two to the "readmet" file?

74. Steve says:

Tried the tool, no good. Getting greyed out. Never had all user option available either. All .net updates were installed previously as well as .net support already on in one note before hearing about tool. Any new fixes for this issue that I can try? Registry key to look for?

75. JohnGuin says:

No registry keys.  I’m investigating on my end – the only workaround I know is pretty harsh, but effective.

Exit ON and reboot.

don’t start ON – uninstall the powertoy.

reinstall

now reboot (again, this is probably not needed and there is no logical reason for this, but it helps me be sure about the state of the addin)

start ON

Sorry for the problems,

76. Person says:

It would be heaps cool if you included a screen dump in your instructions.

I have the .NET thing activated, but I still cannot get it working.

77. John says:

Which screen shot do you need?

78. Person says:

The one about fixing the greying.

79. Leonardo says:

I love you.

(But still pretty dumb that MS forgot to include this AND even worse, not include in a product update)

80. JohnGuin says:

That’s why we give this toy away.  Seriously, I always scan documents upside down (always!) and this helps get them right side up so OCR can work.

81. Pen says:

Legendary.  Amazing how one simple thing missed by the developers can drive you nuts.

THANK YOU!

82. Kyle says:

Thank you sir. Works great for PDF files and note taking!

83. Kris says:

Installs and runs fine on OneNote 2010 but does not actually rotate or flip when used, just says waiting and then does nothing :<

84. JohnGuin says:

The OneNote 2007 toys will only work with 2007 format sections.  If your section is in 2010 format, the addin won’t work.  You can right click on the notebook and select Properties to see what format you are using.

85. Wayne says:

I hate to ask for help, but I can’t seem to get this to work.

I’ve looked through the comments, I’ve tried uninstalling, reboot, then install, but still… nothing.

I don’t think I’m even seeing the "image tools" icon at all. Would it be possible for someone post a picture of what the new rotate button is supposed to look like? Is a new toolbar supposed to show up when I click on an image?

Thanks in advance!

86. Wayne says:

(I’m on Windows 7, and I checked that I had .NET installed.)

87. John says:

yes – a new toolbar should pop up when you click the button.  sometimes it appears "below" the OneNote window – can you resize OneNote to check?

88. Wayne says:

Wow, that was fast response! Okay. I found a picture on the internet of what it’s supposed to look like, and I definitely do not see it. I’ve tried resizing, and it’s definitely not there.

A couple of questions:

Does this toolbar show up automatically when I select an image?

And is there any way to access this via the menu or right clicking? (I tried looking in Tools -> Customize, but can’t find it under "All Commands".

Thanks!

89. John says:

You have to select the image, then click the icon which got added to the toolbar.  Then the new toolbar opens.

Sorry for the problems.

90. Wayne says:

Thank you for your replies. Unfortunately, I was not able to get it to work, despite trying a few more times. Hopefully a similar feature be included in OneNote 2010!

91. Ibrahim Jadoon says:

Is it a single button called ImageTools?

I tried rotating it, but got an error from .NET "Not implemented". Do you want all of the error code?

Office Enterprise 2007, OneNote with .NET functionality, .NET Framework 4.0 installed, restarted, no luck. πŸ™

92. John says:

Sure – send me what you have, and if you could include the OneNote page as well to let me know what you are rotating I would appreciate it.

93. Ibrahim Jadoon says:

Sending you an email now. πŸ™‚

For spam filters, it'll be from ikjadoon -at- Google's email. Those pesky harvesters…. πŸ˜‰

94. Rebecca says:

I'm not sure if it's supposed to work with OneNote 2010, but it does absolutely nothing for me. It says please wait, complete, and then the printout isn't rotated.

95. John says:

This addin will only work in OneNote 2010 if the section is in 2007 format.  FWIW, ON 2010 includes image rotation as a native feature, so this addin will not get updated…

96. Gearhead says:

I have ON 2010 and although there is a Rotate button on the Draw ribbon, it is grayed out when I click on a pdf image.  I can find no native method for rotating pdf images in ON 2010, and as mentioned by others, this Powertoy does not work in ON 2010.  Any suggestions?  Would really like to have this functionality.  (The Rotate button does work with jpg images, btw).

97. John says:

It's not updated for 2010 (as of July 2010) so it will only work with sections in 2007 format.  Good point about the printouts, though.  I'll see if Gary has time to update it.

98. samie says:

Great tool. Worked perfectly with my OneNote 2007 installation. Many thanks.

99. Jaguar says:

I took David Spokes advice and did the following:

– uninstalling the rotation tool

– right click rotation tool setup.exe and select 'run as'

– install using the working user account (but untick the box which says something like 'protect my computer etc')

The unticking-the-box step was critical for getting ImageTool to properly install.  Great tool John, thank you!

100. Abby says:

Hi how exactly do you use this… i tried installinig it, but it did not work pleasee help mee !!! my notes are all in landscape and not readable

101. JohnGuin says:

What version of OneNote do you have?  Did you look on the standard toobar for the rotate icon?

102. Mike says:

Thanks John!  this tool has worked beautifully for the last couple years.  However, for some reason it stopped working since the new year….wondering if it had to do with any recent updates from windows.  Anyone else having this problem?

103. JohnGuin says:

Not that I have heard.  Check to make sure the window is not under a different window, and make sure you are using a 2007 format notebook (if you upgraded to ON 2010).

104. Mike says:

I am running the 2007 onenote format.  The window is indeed present, but it momentarily freezes my onenote, but never actually rotates the image.  I tried removing and reinstalling the image rotator, but still to no avail.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks for any help that you can offer!

105. JohnGuin says:

Can you email me the page that has the problem?  use the link in the upper right to send me mail, then I can reply and after all that you can send an attachment.

106. Chankete says:

Thank you very much. It took a while to get it, but ultimately the program is great.

Muchas gracias amigo. Eres grande.

107. TheKeeper says:

Heyla and well met!

I installed the rotator on OneNote 2007, making sure that .Net thingie was installed on OneNote, but it doesn't work. It's just grayed out, not even allowing me to rotate the image. I did read the previous posts about this, and I followed the steps of uninstalling and rebooting the computer to make sure OneNote wasn't running in the background, but still no dice. Is this just something about OneNote 2007?

108. John says:

Did you double check to see if the floating toolbar was "under" OneNote?

Sorry for the problems.  Let me know if the toolbar does not open.

109. TheKeeper says:

What do you mean by "under" OneNote?

(I had posted a comment, earlier, but for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to have been actually posted to your blog.)

110. John says:

The earlier comment got tagged as spam for some reason.  Anyway, the adidn pops up a little toolbar.  Sometimes that toolbar will draw underneath the OneNote window and you need to minimize or move the OneNote window to see the toolbar.  Can you try that to see if this is happening to you?

111. TheKeeper says:

It seems like a fixed button on the drawing tools toolbar. After playing around with it, further, I discovered that the rotation tool actually manages to work when clicking on, say, handwriten samples I had created with my graphics tablet. However, it doesn't work with files inserted as printouts. Is this as intended?

If the tool is only meant to work with images from made from the drawing tool, is there a tool that can rotate images from inserted printouts? When trying to insert printouts from PDF files, the files that needed to be viewed in landscape would appear in portrait, making the document either unreadable or the source of a lot of neck pain. The workaround I have, so far, is to take screen clippings of the specific pages I'm interested in, but if a file consists of many pages in landscape view, I can see such an exercise becoming quite tedious.

If the tool isn't working as intended, I realized I should supply a bit of further information that may help:

As I said, I'm using OneNote 2007. My OS is Windows Vista. I'm not quite sure if the fact that I'm using Vista might be part of my problem.

Anyhow, thank you for being so willing to help!

TheKeeper

112. Chris Howard says:

Thanks.  Exactly what I needed!

113. Graeme says:

Took me ages to notice the rotate icon next to the 100% size box on the tool bar. Click on icon then wait a liitle. Works great…thanks.

114. Uri says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you – was searching high and low for this functionality!

115. Liam says:

Please consider updating this to work in OneNote 2010; tbh I can't believe the functionality from the powertoy just wasn't included in the first place!

116. Jan Roelof says:

Liam: that functionality *is* included: Draw=>Rotate.

Jan Roelof

117. David Pasieka says:

Draw=>Rotate only works for shapes, not for images. This is still the the case in OneNote 2010.

118. SJI says:

Hey, thanks for this awesome tool! A quicker fix for the non-admin user accounts is to simply install it using the admin account (i used run as through the working users account), and then just launch the installer again as the user and click through the "repair" process.

The icon will appear after restarting OneNote.

119. Glenn says:

Please update this to work in Onenote 2013.  The Onetastic add-in has a rotate function, but it is terribly slow.  Virtually useless.

120. JohnGuin says:

Image rotation is now built into OneNote so I never updated this addin.

121. Glenn says:

I find image rotation does not work when printing a .pdf into Onenote 2013.  The Onetastic app works, but is incredibly slow.

122. Mo says:

Hi! the toolbar opens a new window but does not actually do anything. I have one note 2010 and windows 7 if that is important! I have tried to suggestions on this thread already! Any advice would be great!

123. Jane Doe says:

I realise that this tool is written for OneNote2007 – BUT Has anyone got this add-in to successfully run in OneNote2010?

I too have OneNote 2010 and Win7, and the utility installs and opens, and tells me to 'Please Wait' but nothing further happens.. πŸ™