Task Requests from OneNote Meeting Notes powertoy

The “Week of OneNote 2007 Powertoys” continues…

One of the most frequent requests we hear for new OneNote functionality is “more integration with Outlook Tasks.”  Frustratingly, it always seems like no two people agree on what this means.  A few users have wanted a method to assign tasks to others during meetings.  The scenario is something like Alice and Bob meet, Alice takes notes on the meeting and wants to assign some of the action items to Bob.  Today I present an addin to integrate this functionality into OneNote.

This will add a task request button to the Outlook Tasks toolbar in OneNote.  You can enable that toolbar via the View | Toolbars | Outlook Tasks menu command.  If you are in a meeting notes page, you can click that icon to create a task request with this functionality:

1. It will have the TO: line populated with the attendees of the meeting

2. The original body of the message will be added to the body of the task request

3. Any tagged text will be added to the body of the task request.

Since the task request will be sent, there is nothing to link it back to in Outlook.  I’ve seen a few variations of this which use the name of the recipient as the To: field, but this approach doesn’t depend on that rigid of a notebook naming scheme.  And since items 1 and 2 above come from the meeting notes table, you will get odd behavior if you use this on a non-meeting notes page.

Example:  here is a weekly meeting I have with Mike Tholfsen:

And here is the resulting task request:

Here is where to install it:

Or

And the source files:

Or

Let me know what you think!

Questions, comments, concerns and criticism always welcome,

John Guin

1. David says:

Cant see the screen grab pics either in the email or here!  Can you fix please?

2. Kurt says:

So, if I understand you correctly, you can assign the task to someone else, but you won’t have any record of that assignment in Outlook?  Or am I missing something?

I love the idea of being able to assign tasks from Outlook, but I still need to be able to track them to make sure they’re getting done, and I’d prefer to track them in Outlook where all my other tasks are.

3. JohnGuin says:

Hi Kurt,

I explained this poorly.  When you send a task request, you still have an item in your task folder, but you are not the owner of the task any longer.  If you assign it to Alice, she can send you updates on the status of her progress.  Since you do not own the task any longer, though, I did not link it back to the item on your task schedule.  I’ll look into adding that in the future.

Thanks for the feedback,

John

4. John head says:

how about integration with other email clients people use in the enterprise … Like Notes, Gmail, and others …

5. John is posting some of the powertoys that have been in development, please see here: Table Sum Powertoy

6. John is posting some of the powertoys that have been in development, please see here: Table Sum Powertoy

7. Daniel Escapa is filling the pages of his blog with an amazing array of OneNote information , links to

8. Jody says:

Does it work with onenote 2003?  I have 2007 at home, but at work they won’t pony up for the ’07 license yet

9. JohnGuin says:

No, this is OneNote 2007 only.  The extensibility API was added for that version.

10. I’ve heard from quite a few people already via email and comments and seen indirectly some great feedback

11. Rainald Tassler, one of OneNote’s MVPs, had contacted me a while back asking to have the Table of Contents

12. One of my commitments which I added to my list here at work is maintaining this blog. It’s been almost

13. So my tablet PC is still being used for debugging and it is taking longer than anyone expected. No big

14. Petr says:

Hi,

does it work with 2010 version? I have installed it and nothing …

Thanks for hints.

15. John says:

Like all 2007 addins, this will only work if the section is in 2007 format.  I will need to update it for 2010.

16. cbuckridge says:

An update for OneNote 2010 would be FANTASTIC!

17. Barry Gregory says:

Is there an updated link for this functionality?  I truly would love to have it…

18. Barry Gregory says:

Task Request would be wonderful…

19. John says:

No, no updates but I give the code away if someone wants to update this tool.

20. Nick says:

I'd love to have a go at updating into Onenote 2010 & 2013 if you want to send me the code.

21. John says:

This is one of the powertoys that was hosted on a site that went away.  I might have a backup – give me some time to dig around.  This very possibly was one of the files I had on my backup drive system that had all three drives die within 24 hours though…

Skip to main content