Yet another OneNote Powertoy

A great part of working in OneNote test is the people on our team.  Take Jeff Cardon (again), for instance.  He was wanting to know what types of addins people were requesting the most.  I mentioned the method we tell users to use to make a page a subpage involves cutting, pasting, creating new pages and deleting the old one.  While it’s relatively quick to do, I find it a bit tedious, and apparently some users find it overly time consuming.

I left his office to grab some coffee and it seemed like I had just got back to mine and sat down when Jeff came by and said “I have a build for you to test!”  I tested it, it works great,  and (as of 3/12/2009) I moved the download link here:http://blogs.msdn.com/johnguin/archive/2007/09/07/make-subpage-addin-updated-and-a-lenovo-update.aspx

And Jeff also figured out the setting to make the default install be for “Everyone who uses this computer.”  This is one less button to click during setup.  Other than that, the standard install directions apply: exit OneNote, install as admin, and restart OneNote when done.

Dan Escapa had also thought about this addin and did not release it.  He gave some code away, though, and you can check his reasoning and code here.   (Personally, I like to think Daniel’s reason #3 – that not too many people read these blogs – is no longer true).   Jeff and I decided to give this away since it makes it very easy to make a page a subpage.  After you move a subpage, though, OneNote makes it a page.  Dan thought that may be confusing, but clicking the little toolbar icon makes it easy to make it a subpage again.  I think this is pretty slick, and am using it to reorganize some of my notebooks already.

Undo and selecting multiple pages are even supported.

Some users report the ZIP files have gotten corrupted.  Sadly, the easiest workaround to get them intact is to download with Firefox (sigh).  I’m working with the WinISP staff to find out what is going wrong…

Enjoy!

Comments, questions, concerns and criticisms always welcome,

John

1. Michael says:

A really cool Powertoy would be one that let me share a OneNote notebook over WebDAV to an SSL-encrypted IIS server using Active Directory authentication. Now THAT would be cool!

2. It appear that John and Jeff have been working together and have posted another powertoy to take the

3. P Cause says:

Tried clicking the link to download the zip file and it doesn’t work.

4. JohnGuin says:

Hmm…I just tried to download from 2 different machines and the link seems to work fine.  Can you try again?

John

5. Guys over there have been really busy lately… Looks like Jeff Cardon has put together a way to take

6. What am I missing here?

Why wouldn’t you just multi-select the pages you want grouped and choose the "group pages" context menu?

7. JohnGuin says:

Well, grouping pages leaves the topmost page as the parent.  This addin makes all selected pages subpages – even the topmost selected page.

Also, this works with just the current page.  For grouping pages, you must have 2 or more selected.

John

8. Guys over there at Microsoft have been really busy lately… Looks like Jeff Cardon has put together

9. Bryan says:

I don’t like whining for features, but I’ve seen this come up on the onenote newsgroup several times and simply shot down, and it’s a feature that is critically important for me — is there no way to add support for Word styles?  By that, I mean, is it overly difficult to make it so you can paste a word document into OneNote and have it Just Work?  My understanding is that ON just doesn’t support the styles.

The reason I desparately need this is that I use ON with its tags to study large amounts of information for medical school.  If I could highlight the text itself and just click tag, it would be insanely easier than rewriting it with my pen and tagging it.  However, when I paste in documents to take advantage of this feature, they are garbled.

Sorry to request a feature right when you release a useful one.  The subpage feature is very useful for me.

10. Pebuaa says:

I get a .NET error with this power toy when click on the subpage icon. I seem to have .NET versions 2.0 and 1.1 installed on my computer. Is this a known bug? Could someone help me?

11. JohnGuin says:

What is the exact .NET error?  2.0 is all that is required – I doubt any of the patches for it are needed, but can you double check to see if you have them installed?

John

12. Pebuaa says:

John,

Here is the error log from .NET. In the mean time I tried repairing my .NET installation but it still gives me the same error.

Thank You.

************************************************

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80042015): Exception from HRESULT: 0x80042015

at Microsoft.Office.Interop.OneNote.ApplicationClass.UpdateHierarchy(String bstrChangesXmlIn)

at MakeSubpage.Form1.DoWork()

at MakeSubpage.Form1.Form1_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.832 (QFE.050727-8300)

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

—————————————-

MakeSubpage

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/MakeSubpage/1.0.0.0__14fa48f29ba98980/MakeSubpage.exe

—————————————-

Microsoft.Office.Interop.OneNote

Assembly Version: 12.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 12.0.4518.1014

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.Office.Interop.OneNote/12.0.0.0__71e9bce111e9429c/Microsoft.Office.Interop.OneNote.dll

—————————————-

System.Windows.Forms

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.832 (QFE.050727-8300)

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

—————————————-

13. Joe says:

I get the same com exception as reported above

14. JohnGuin says:

Sorry for the crash.  Are you trying to make a subpage in a section group?

John

15. Pebuaa says:

Here is the my directory structure

Research (book) > Self (Section Group) > Sys ID (section) > Nonlinear (Page).

Now I am trying to convert the last page into a subpage.

Thanks

16. Brad says:

17. Rendt says:

I experience the same behaviour with all powertoys I have tried to install, including Table of Contents, Favorites, Sort page: Click the button once, no action and it fades to indicate a disabled status. I verified that add-ins are enabled in Options.

18. CabSav says:

Me too !!!!

GRRRRR

"Hmmm. Make a sub-page….A nifty add-in I thought.  So I installed it, open a notebook in one-note (2007),  select some pages,  click on the "make page(s) a sub page" menu icon,  and vola….nothing.   Nothing happens and the menu icon is disabled until close and re-open one-note"

19. JohnGuin says:

Hello CabSav,

Check out the #1 item here: http://blogs.msdn.com/johnguin/archive/2008/03/17/the-3-biggest-pain-points-we-are-investigating.aspx

In short, there is an optional component of OneNote that needs to be installed to get powertoys to work.

Let me know if that does not help, and sorry for the problems,

John

20. MKC says:

Hello John,

the plugin does not work for me as well. Or, to be more precise: it worked once, then the button dissappeared respectively faded away/turned gray in the tool bar.

This is kinda strange, since I installed the net setup in my office setup even before I installed the powertoy.

Following your advice in #1, I deinstalled the plugin and reinstalled again. This time, the plugin would not even work for one time, but "be grey" straight from the beginning.

Do you have any other ideas how I might get the plugin running (constantly)?

Thanks a lot in advance!

MKC

21. MKC says:

Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention one thing:

As J here ( http://blogs.msdn.com/johnguin/archive/2007/09/07/make-subpage-addin-updated-and-a-lenovo-update.aspx#4904059 ) I only see toolBttn.bmp in the OneNote Make Subpage Folder I installed the powertoy too.

Furthermore, it has to be "NET support for OneNote" instead of "net setup" in line 3 of the upper posting.

Thank you!

22. MKC says:

Hello John,

after deinstalling and reinstalling several times, the plug-in now works for me. One maybe decisive step was  – of course after having installed .NET-support for OneNote – always to install after a complete reboot.

Thanks a lot for all the wonderful powertoys and keep up the nice work!

Best wishes