Dork of the Week Award goes to – eWeek’s David Coursey

Full article here – A ‘Genuine’ Pain in the Neck

His Opinion: Microsoft’s upcoming switch to a mandatory OS authentication asks too much of Windows users.

God forbid we choose not to support people who STOLE our software in the first place.

Hey Dave – how long would YOU keep working if they stopped paying YOU !

1. denny says:

eWeek == weak writing based on FUD and misinformation.

I have found that the more I read from them the more I am convinced they are a branch of MAD Magazine….

🙂

2. The point is that there are millions of pirated versions of Windows around the world. If all of them were suddenly be cut out of software updates, they would

become something which is worse for MS than working pirated version of Windows – broken, virus spreading version of Windows, which cannot be fixed, best place to start flaming MS and switching to another alternatives or not using computer at all.

3. Kyle says:

I don’t think the article says Microsoft shouldn’t verify that your copy of Windows is legal. It says the method upon which they go about it is cumbersome. Whether he’s right or not is another issue, but at least get mad at him for the right reasons.

"As a creator of intellectual property, I am strongly in favor of stopping software pirates. If Redmond wants customers to prove their software is legal, that’s fine with me. But it ought to happen only once—when the machine is first turned on or the software is first installed."

4. Suhas says:

Its not the same and you cannot compare Dave and Microsoft.

Leaving Kamil’s very valid argument aside, I cannot agree more to the fact that Piracy is BAD, and everyone should have a legal copy of the OS. Period.

BUT

We (the customers) also do not like our right to choose OSs stolen, as has already been clearly established (lets not go into the argument that I can always choose > 100 OSs out there).

So we as customers would also like to see VERY clear signs of what Microsoft is doing to see that we get back those rights back.

5. SBC says:

yup… I think that Dork is another Dvorak in the making.

6. I love how there’s always "yea, stealing shit is bad, but Microsoft needs to….."

The way I see it – stealing is WRONG – PERIOD.

If I stole your car could I shift some of the blame to you.

When I was in the Marines I had a C.O. who used to punnish guys for not locking their foot locker.

He’d say, "If it were for assholes like you (leaving things unlocked) there’d be no theivery in the world.

Personally – I;m glad Microsoft is cracking down on the digital theives that are swiping bits of my kids college tuition!

7. denny says:

"The point is that there are millions of pirated versions of Windows around the world. If all of them were suddenly be cut out of software updates, they would

I think that MS simply won’t do that. Piracy is one of the greatest advertisement campaigns for MS, whether it is good or not. "

WTF?

so if a teenager breaks into a car lot and steals a car, drives it around and smashes it into a house the teen who stole the car and his parents are not liable cause the car had a break problem??

No, he and his folks are responcilble for all damages done to him or others as he did not have a legal right to use that car.

end of story.

sorry but while the popular press may spin it the way you state that still does not make it right or true or a defendable position.

8. tony roth says:

I think xp for non profit or home use should be free or maybe $25 bucks, just have ms charge for any support required! If a business utilizes pirated software we should be able to steal from them right? its the same net effect!

when PA was first discussed somebody (not sure who and I can’t find the press release) stated that having a perfect/better license activation system would/should lower the price to the consumers since ms would be making so much more money. What ever happend to that idea!

oh well just rambling!

9. Hey Joe, back when you were a marine or in Full Metal Jacket when Pyle was hiding a jelly doughnut.

10. Don’t anyone forget that Windows became the defacto standard, not because it was better (even though it was better), but because every network engineer, programmer and computer nerd put it on every computer they could find – damn the license.

I’m not saying the world hasn’t moved on since then, but thier was a time when piracy drove a software revolution. Let’s not forget that.

11. When I was in Bootcamp – we didn’t have ANY FMJ Pyle types.

My DI plucked them right off the bus and sent them to PCP (Physical Conditioning Platoon.)

One of the guys I went in with spent the whole three months on PI in PCP – he changed so much that when he got home, his Mom wouldn’t open the door for him untill he could convince her of who he was.

12. I’m just giving you a hard time. 😉 I also happen to love that movie. That movie is Kubrick at his finest.

13. Kevin Remde says:

Back to the subject at hand.. 🙂

What people who side with Coursey (who until this article I used to like a lot, by the way) fail to understand is that he (and other mags who posted similar stories) are just flat out WRONG on two important points:

1. They forget that if the computer OS was properly Activated, the user WON’T have to enter their PID. David seems to think that you’ll absolutely have to do that step.

2. Security updates are NOT included in this. They are and will always be free to whoever needs / wants them through Automatic Update. The arguement many have used about "Oh no! We’ll have a bunch of virus-spreading machines out there!" is completely unfounded.

Kevin

14. Andrew says:

David Coursey in my opinion has always jumped the gun on just about anything. I can recall a time when he had done an article on a Netgear wireless card and complained it never worked. The interesting thing is come to find out it worked fine the whole time . He just assumed it was not working because it did not present to him what he though was an acceptable solution. THe issue happen to be netgears fault but David just went on to bash the company and its support based on WRONG information and he does this ALL THE TIME.

To be honest I think tech journalism often times jumps the gun on misleading information, making huge assumption based on the information they heard or just assumed was there all along. IN the case of the Netgear article, Netgear did all of its product testing for windows xp on RC1 between the that and the final relase of the product Microsoft had added an Icon to the system tray that showed wether or not the wireless connection had been made. So when XP came out and they sold this card as XP ready David assumed that the Icon should be there and it wasn’t. Now is this his fault to make the assumption that it should have been there. I think it is because he made the assumption that it had to be that way and we are locked into some narrow minded path of thinking. I think this is very true with most tech market journalism. We are never seeing the whole reason for something or just a lot of non-bias assumptions. then again thats journalism i guess.