Second batch of SQL MCM Readiness Videos now Released

We just added another 23 videos on Technet – making it a total of 56 videos available as of today. The new videos cover storage core concepts & guidelines, DAS vs SAN architecture, storage testing and monitoring, index internals, the clustered index debate, statistics, locking, restore internals, Waits and Queues, a clustering introduction, SQLOS concepts, database mirroring, multi-server management, PBM and Resource Governor.

A few things to be aware of:

· The main landing page shows a rotating random video, followed by 10 of the most recently posted videos.

· The “more” link leads to the full list of available videos (56 videos as of today). By the way – this link is an XML page – which is by design for Technet.

· Each individual video page has the option of streaming the page in the browser or downloading video or audio files in varying formats (typically about 10+ download links per video). Right now this means there are 560+ individual links that get updated by the Technet team. Although I do random checks upon publication, I definitely don’t test every link. There have been instances of broken links or other bugs – so if you find them, please ping me directly and I’ll investigate and submit a fix request to the Technet team. Depending on when an issue is found it can take a couple of days to fix, but it will get fixed.

I hope you find these videos to be valuable (whether or not you use them for SQL MCM readiness).

1. Brian Garraty says:

Absolutely find these videos helpful!  Making them available for free is such a HUGE value to the SQL Server community.  Thank you to all involved.

2. Joe Sack says:

Glad to hear it Brian – thanks for the feedback!

3. Prasad says:

We had to pay thousands of dollars to get to a SqlServer 2008 course where these lectures are taught. This is great thing from Microsoft.

4. josephsa says:

Thanks Prasad – glad to hear that these have been of value.

5. Didier says:

Great videos and the numbering helps a lot… But the video for "Database Snapshots" lecture point to the demo video.

Also, videos 8, 11, 17, 18,… are not yet published. Do you know when it will be avalaible ?

6. josephsa says:

Thanks Didier.

The Database Snapshots lecture video pointer was fixed a few days ago.  Can you validate again, please? I just checked and it looks correct – but you may have a different source that I didn't check.

As for the next batch, those are coming in a few weeks.  I'll post to my blog once the final batch is published.

7. Didier says:

I use this page : "technet.microsoft.com/…/gg429800.aspx" and the WMV video points to : "download.microsoft.com/…/HDI-ITPro-TechNet-winvideo-MCM_16_DatabaseSnapshotsDemo.wmv". The size and lenght of the video is the same as on the Demo page.

I can't watch the video as my work PC is XP without the WVC1 codec.

Can't wait for the next batch… 🙂

8. josephsa says:

Thanks for the notification on this Didier.  I'll submit a bug fix to Technet and reply on this thread when they have fixed it.

Best Regards,

Joe

9. josephsa says:

Hi Didier, the links are now fixed for the Database Snapshots page.  Thanks

10. Didier says:

Thanks for the link.

Downloading right now.

I will spend the next couple of days watching the videos. Can't wait for the missing ones. 😉

Skip to main content