Thank you to all of you who attended my session at TechEd 2010 – COS307 | Using Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 to Build Applications That Run on Windows Azure
Here are some of the key takeaways and links from the session:
Lots of New Tools
The June 2010 release of the Windows Azure Tools has now includes:
- Support for .NET 4
- Deploy from Visual Studio
- IntelliTrace debugging in the cloud
- Windows Azure Storage and Compute integration in the Server Explorer
- Windows Azure Activity Log window in VS to watch long running operations
ASP.NET Web Roles vs ASP.NET Web Applications
The 3 differences are:
- References to the Windows Azure specific assemblies: Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Diagnostics, Microsoft.WindowsAzure.ServiceRuntime, and Microsoft.WindowsAzure.StorageClient
- Bootstrap code in the WebRole.cs/vb file that starts the DiagnosticMonitor as well as defines a default behavior of recycling the role when a configuration setting change occurs.
- The addition of a trace listener in the web.config file: Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Diagnostics.DiagnosticMonitorTraceListener.
The NerdDinner sample code can be found at: http://nerddinner.codeplex.com/
ASP.NET Provider scripts for SQL Azure
To use the ASP.NET providers with SQL Azure, you can use these scripts: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/2006191 to setup the database.