Fix available: ASP.Net MVC RC Crash in a Windows Azure Cloud Service Project

For those of you that have been unfortunate enough to experience the VS crash when using the ASP.Net MVC RC in a Windows Azure Cloud Service project, I have good news!

The CLR team has distributed a hotfix.  The KB Article number is 963676 and is posted at

The hotfix isn’t specific to the MVC crash, it solves some crashes in the WPF Designer as well.

You can download the hotfix here:

• For Vista/Windows Server 2008 32 bit: Use Windows6.0-KB963676-x86.msu
  • For Vista/Windows Server 2008 64 bit: Use Windows6.0-KB963676-x64.msu

[update 8/27/2010] – This hotfix has been superceded: and unfortunately it appears we no longer host it on Connect so you’ll have to contact Microsoft support, see the KB article for more information.

1. If you’ve seen VS crash while using the MVC RC in a Windows Azure Cloud Service project — check out

2. mh415 says:

Great to have a fix so quickly, and in time for the weekend when I really have time to play with my extracurricular projects and Azure.

3. mh415 says:

What’s the difference between the .exe and .msu files in the download?  Perhaps this is obvious to people experienced with Windows, but I’m coming from the UNIX world.

4. mh415 says:

I have more questions about this.  Are we still supposed to use the project from your post back in October?  Won’t we run into problems because MVC.NET has been updated a few times since then?

Also, what’s the best way to use the October project?  I’m new to VS, so I’m sure this must be known by most.  If I unzip the file into my VS projects directory, I get this complaint when opening it:

"The project location is not trusted:

C:Usersmh415DocumentsVisual Studio 2008ProjectsCloudService1CloudService1CloudService1_WebRole

Running the application may result in security exceptions when it attempts to perform actions which require full trust.

Click OK to ignore and continue."

5. @mh415 – msu files update Vista/Windows Server 2008 where the .Net Framework is a part of the OS.  The exe files update an OS where the .Net Framework is not a part of the OS — i.e. Windows XP.

Since the Windows Azure Tools only support Vista/Windows Server 2008 — I made it more clear in the post about which hotfix folks should be using.

6. @mh415 — we’ve seen some isolated issues with "the location is not trusted" and so far they’ve all stemmed from some kind of issue with the Windows account — if you create another administrator account and try again, you shouldn’t have any problem.  Please let me know if that resolves your issue.

One situation where that message is valid is if you are trying to open or create a project in Visual Studio in a directory that requires admin elevation or is a network location.

7. @mh415 – About using the project from the post back in October — I’ll try to find some time to update it.  If you create a new project and follow the steps to modify it, you will be fine.

8. Thank you for submitting this cool story – Trackback from DotNetShoutout

9. Eric Hexter says:

I have been fighting some a crash with visual studio 2008.  The IDE would crash without a

10. If you’re encountered an issue where Visual Studio 2008 SP1 crashes silently whenever you try to open a web form or master page (which by default will open the design view), there is a hotfix that will likely solve the problem.  I ran into this recently

11. [Updated for ASP.Net MVC RC 2] Before you get started with ASP.Net MVC and Windows Azure – please install

12. [Updated for MVC RC 2] Before you get started with ASP.Net MVC and Windows Azure – please install this

13. ASP.Net MVC RC2 released a few days back and I’ve already gotten a number of requests to update the MVC

14. TroyGoode says:

Is there any ETA on a version of this hotfix for Windows 7 Beta? Right now it won’t install and there doesn’t appear to be a way to run a .msu file in compatibility mode.

15. terryso says:

My operating system is windows 7 beta, i can’t install the hotfix, what should i do?

16. @TroyGoode and @terryso — I went back and looked at some mails from the folks on the CLR team, QFEs are rolled forward so Win7 will get the fix in a future public release.

17. Helper Code says:

Today during work I had a very annoying issue – whenever I've run the project unit test suite (using

18. Strādājot ar VS 2008 SP1 un kopā ar kādu no .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 iespējām (LINQ to SQL, WPF, Entity

19. mh415 says:

Is this Hotfix required for Windows 7 RC?

20. This hotfix is included in the win7 rc.

21. We released CodeSmith 5.1 with the new requirements of the Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 . One of our

22. We released CodeSmith 5.1 with the new requirements of the Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 . One of our

23. pAnoNymous says:

This fox no longer seems to be available on the above link?

24. pAnoNymous – thanks, yes the KB was superceded.  I updated this post and you'll have to contact support to get the patch.

25. MyRouter says: