I got myself a Nintendo DS. It's amazing! It's the first gameboy / handheld gaming device I've ever purchased.
The things I like most about it:
- The New Super Marios Bros: Great software sells a platform. This was the big reason I got one.
- The stylus and dual screens. At first I thought this would be a gimmick, but it's a new feature that actually has a great natural fit.
- Easy on, easy off. There's no boot time, and it has instant hibernate. I wish my laptop had that! Technically it's not hibernate since it still drains power and only lasts for a week But practically, a week is long enough to give me chance to recharge it, and so it accomplishes what I want from hibernate, but does it faster.
- A lithium ion battery (no AAs), and great battery life. It boasts a 14 hour life in use; and a week when "hibernated". Basically, if I plug it in at night, I never have to worry about buying batteries or running out of juice. And not having to worry about things lets me enjoy it more.
- "it just works" wireless support. I never thought networking could be truly idiot proof. In my experience with networking, there's usually some DNS thing, router problem, security issue, config issue, etc that goes wrong.
- Great form factor. It's small, no sharp edges, and fits in my pocket. I'm a big fan of clamshell design (my phone is a clamshell too).
It just feels like an overall complete solution. It's not only fun, but it's an inspiring feat of engineering.