Boring blogs?

Some of you are probably wondering why I sometimes blog on such strange topics. Great question! There are lots of reasons:
 1.) My area of expertise (ie, the only thing I know more than you about) is the CLR Debugging Services. Based off blog comments and email I get, I judge there to be about 20 people in the world (literally) who actually care about that topic. That means the rest of you are going to be at least mildly bored anytime I blog about the stuff I know the most about – which is what I’m statistically most likely to blog about. Anytime I steer away from my area of expertise, there are hordes of readers who know it better than I and they quickly point out the mistakes I inevitably make. (Like this fiasco where my post was so wrong I actually had to take it down lest somebody accidentally stumble upon it and be mislead).
 2.) Sometimes it’s not clear what’s boring. It’s actually funny in retrospect: Some posts that I thought people would love, they hated (as judged by very low hit counters). And some posts that I thought would be lame got lots of hits.
 3.) Some entries are to answer a specific email I get. If I blog the response, I only need to answer it once.
 4.) Some entries are “prerequisite” entries. For example, I’d actually like to blog about topic A, but I need to blog about topic B first so that A makes sense. And putting A and B into the same entry is too long. For example, I did this (idea for search tool), this (how to programmatically search), and this  (use clipboard as input) so that I would have the perquisites for this (final sample code for tool). Same with this (deriving from TextReader), this (comment on polymorphism from previous post), this (nesting C#’s yield statement), and this (building a TextReader around yield), so that I could do this (building a XmlReader around TextReader), which in turn was a prerequisite for this (spewing Xml from a pdb).  Sometimes the intermediate entries may be boring.
 5.) Some entries are for my own selfish benefit. I may be learning a new technology (such as Cascading Style Sheets) and want to write about what I’ve learned.

1. 1) Please go on. Each debugging entry is a gem!

2. Boring? Debugging?

Well, maybe, *but* once it hits google & msn search it’ll be horribly useful when people hit a blank wall, search and up come your debugging tips. It won’t be boring then πŸ™‚

3. AdiOltean says:

Not boring, keep it that way. I am definitely one of these 20 people that are reading your posts πŸ™‚

4. Sam says:

If one person reads your post and finds it helpful it’s break-even to an answer, everyone more is a bonus.

Not everyone needs or wants to be a a-logger with millions of hits who has to be very careful about every word he writes, ’cause it will be scrutinized (see joel on software for example who only posts very well thought about entries, and does not even write in his own diskussion forum according to his own words since his posts will get taken apart).

Write for yourself. Enjoy every single feedback, but dont depend on it. At least you got a topic, a lot of bloggers don’t even have that πŸ™‚

5. NaveenS says:

You’re blogs are great. They have given so much insight on debugging.

6. Matt Garven says:

Your blog rocks. Keep it up.

7. I will join the clamor — your blogs are great! However you feel about them you should see them as a supplement to our knowledge base — in many ways these blogs are what MSDN used to be in the good old days – :o(

8. Joku says:

Not really related, but it would be good if technical bloggers writing about X,Y & Z would also mention what is the closest public release they are using. Now if you go google and find some older blog entry it maybe the stuff being talked about was in relation to for example VS Beta 1 and might be completely wrong today. I don’t think everyone who come to blogs.msdn from google will figure out that many of the blog entries that talk about say VS2005 are actually talking about something that’s specific to non-RTM build. If there were tags for every public build and they were visible and easy to put on the blog entry… Well some day perhaps.

9. Tomer Gabel says:

I’ll join the crowd. If this were boring I wouldn’t bother reading it. As simple as that πŸ™‚

10. Sameer says:

Mike, you rock!!! Your Blog is really great.

Debugging has been passion since last 5 years for me, I can’t imagine having to find all this info on google.

cheers πŸ˜‰

11. Stephen Gennard says:

You may think your blogs are boring but I think they very informative..

Please continue to bore me!

12. Today on MS Campus, two successful political bloggers, conservative Stefan Sharkansky and liberal David…