Your Outcome: Learn how to use Daily Outcomes to identify 3 outcomes or 3 Wins for today. By identifying your best 3 Wins for the day, you’ll be able to focus and prioritize throughout the day to achieve better results.
Welcome to Day 3 of 7 Days of Agile Results. Agile Results is the productivity system introduced in my best-selling time management book, Getting Results the Agile Way.
Just to do a quick recap, here’s what we’ve done so far:
- On Day 1 of 7 Days of Agile Results - Sunday (Getting Started), we took a quick look at how to use Agile Results to support us throughout the week.
- On Day 2 of 7 Days of Agile Results - Monday (Monday Vision), this is where the fun started. We identified our 3 Wins for the Week, and our 3 Wins for Monday. (If you didn’t get a chance to do it already, identity 3 Wins for your Week. Just ask yourself, if this were Friday, what 3 accomplishments would you want to have completed for the week.)
Now, for today, let’s get started.
It’s a fresh start. This is your chance to choose the best things to focus on that will help you make the most impact today.
Here’s a simple process you can use to get started:
- Scan your calendar so you can get a good picture of the key events in your day. You want to get a good sense of the priorities.
- Write down a simple list of the key tasks you have on your plate for today.
- Now, at the top of your list, identify 3 outcomes that would make this a great day. Think of these as your 3 Wins for today, to help you focus and prioritize throughout your day.
For example, here are my 3 outcomes that I want for today:
- People in the meeting buy into the Scenarios + Architecture + Value approach
- Review meeting of the Devices + Services story leads to closure of open issues
- Sync up leads to a breakthrough I can apply to our production process
Those then act as my “tests for success” for the day. Do I have a lot of tasks on my plate for the day? You bet.
Do I have a lot of meetings to attend? Yep.
Will I be trying to use some of the little time slices in my day to try and complete many of my tasks? Of course.
Will I be dealing with interruptions throughout the day, as well? Yes, to that, too.
I will be dealing with chaos while riding the dragon. And throughout the day, I’ll be driving to my 3 outcomes.
They are my North Star, while I deal with whatever comes my way throughout the day.
May your 3 Wins guide you and provide you with clarity, conviction, and calmness among the chaos – TODAY.