“Xbox One is designed to deliver a whole new generation of blockbuster games, television and entertainment in a powerful, all-in-one device” — Don Mattrick, president, Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft
Key Features of Xbox One
- Integrates the cloud, voice control and gesture technology.
- All-in-one entertainment solution: Live TV + video-on-demand + web chat.
- Measure your heartbeat
- Recognize your voice
- Voice activation, motion, and facial recognition control the Xbox One
- A new set of universal gestures to control your TV
- Improved Kinect sensor will track wrist and shoulder rotations
- TV on Xbox One. “Navigate and watch live TV from your cable, telco or satellite set-top box through your Xbox One. Microsoft is committed to bringing live TV through various solutions to all the markets where Xbox One will be available.”
- Snap Mode. Offers a second screen and allows users to run two activities – such as watching TV and browsing the internet, or using Skype – simultaneously.
- Home. “Turn on your entertainment system with two powerful words, “Xbox On,” and a custom-tailored Home dashboard welcomes you with your favorite games, TV and entertainment.”
- Skype for Xbox One. “Specially designed for Xbox One, talk with friends on your TV in stunning HD, or for the first time ever, hold group Skype calls on your TV.”
- Trending. “Stay on top of what is hot on TV by discovering the entertainment that is popular among your friends, and see what is trending within the Xbox community.”
- OneGuide “Find your favorite entertainment easily, searching by network or name, all with the sound of your voice and presented in a tailored program guide.”
- Content maker + platform provider
- Main camera can record 1080P RGB video at 30 frames per second.
- Powered by 300,000 servers (more than the entire world’s computing power in 1999)
- 8 gigs of RAM, 8-core CPU and GPU SoC, and a substantial 500GB HDD
- A Blu-ray drive as well as USB 3.0 and integrated 802.11n Wi-Fi.
Microsoft Summary of New Generation of Xbox Live
- Smart Match. “A new Smart Match matchmaking system virtually eliminates waiting in lobbies by estimating wait times and finding people you want to play with while you are enjoying other activities — reputation fundamentally matters and helps find best matches.”
- Game DVR. “A dedicated Game DVR captures and accesses your magic moments, all saved to the cloud. Along with sharing tools, you will have the most amazing bragging rights with Xbox Live.”
- Living Games. “Dynamic, living worlds evolve and improve the more you play, and advanced artificial intelligence can learn to play like you, so friends can play against your shadow.”
- Expanded achievements. “A new and expanded achievements system captures video of your epic moments, continues to grow a game’s achievements over time and rewards you in new ways, and your Gamerscore carries over from Xbox 360.”
- Xbox SmartGlass.“Xbox SmartGlass is natively part of the Xbox One platform, built in from the beginning with the ability to quickly render content directly onto your device, and now more devices can connect at one time for multiplayer and shared entertainment.”
Microsoft Summary of Xbox One Look and Feel
- “New Xbox One hardware is sleek and modern and complements any décor. The console is shaped in the 16:9 aspect ratio and employs a horizontal orientation optimized for its high-speed Blu-ray™ disc player. It is molded in a deep and rich liquid black color and includes a distinctive beveled edge.”
- “The completely redesigned, revolutionary 1080p Kinect is more precise, more responsive and more intuitive.”
- “Xbox controller is refreshed with more than 40 technical and design innovations. Updated directional pad, thumb stick and ergonomic fit immerse all gamers in ways that are uniquely Xbox, and precision and control have been dramatically increased with all new vibrating impulse triggers. The Xbox One Wireless Controller is designed to work in concert with the new Kinect, allowing the two to be paired automatically to create seamless player syncing.”
Interesting Deals for Xbox One
- NFL Deal – Integrate coverage of the sport with game-like elements such as a Fantasy Football app, allowing viewers to manager their own fantasy sides while watching the real thing in action.
- Stephen Spielberg Deal – Stephen Spielberg will be producing a TV series based on the best-selling Halo game, exclusively available to Xbox One.
- EA Games – Four new titles exclusive to Xbox: FIFA 14, NBA Live, UFC and Madden.
Analysts on Xbox One
- Gartner: "The Xbox One really looks to advance the state of video game technology and entertainment in a way that we haven’t seen before," said Brian Blau, a director of Gartner Research."
- Greenwich Consulting: "The Xbox One is set to mark the beginning of a new generation of games, TV and entertainment." — Fred Huet, a managing partner at Greenwich Consulting
Key Links for Xbox One
- Guardian – Xbox One: Microsoft Reveals New Console that Changes Everything
- Microsoft – Microsoft unveils Xbox One: the ultimate all-in-one home entertainment system
- The Telegraph – Xbox One Launch: as it happened
- Redmond Pie – Xbox One: Features, Specs, Release Date — Everything You Need to Know in One Place