Cloud computing is hot. As customers makes sense of what the Microsoft cloud story means to them, one of the first things they tend to do is look for case studies of the Microsoft cloud platform. They like to know what their peers, partners, and other peeps are doing.
Internally, I get to see a lot of what our customers are doing across various industries and how they are approaching the cloud behind the scenes. It’s amazing the kind of transformations that cloud computing brings to the table and makes possible. Cloud computing is truly blending and connecting business and IT (Information Technology), and it’s great to see the connection. In terms of patterns, customers are using the cloud to either reduce cost, create new business opportunities and agility, or compete in ways they haven’t been able to before. One of the most significant things cloud computing does is force people to truly understand what business they are in and what their strategy actually is.
Externally, luckily, we have a great collection of Microsoft cloud case studies available at Windows Azure Case Studies.
I find having case studies of the Microsoft cloud story makes it easy to see patterns and to get a sense of where some things are going. Here is a summary of some of the case studies available, and a few direct links to some of the studies.
Examples of the Microsoft cloud case studies in advertising:
- Autoplaza – Classified advertiser reduces costs and boosts website performance with cloud storage. – http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Windows-Azure/Autoplaza/Classified-Advertiser-Reduces-Costs-and-Boosts-Website-Performance-with-Cloud-Storage/4000008558
- LinkShare – Online ad firm cuts costs, scales to handle peak holiday demand, with cloud solution.
- Tradeslot / Adslot – Combinatorial auction provider scales up quickly, saves costs with cloud services.
Air Transportation Services
Examples of the Microsoft cloud case studies in air transportation services:
- Aer Lingus – Airline improves service offerings, developer opens opportunities with cloud services. – http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Case_Study_Detail.aspx?casestudyid=4000007566
- Automotive and Industrial Manufacturing
Daimler – Auto maker uses scalable cloud solution to deliver Internet services for electric car. – http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Windows-Azure/Daimler/Auto-Maker-Uses-Scalable-Cloud-Solution-to-Deliver-Internet-Services-for-Electric-Car/4000008606
- Volvo Cars – Global car manufacturer selects Microsoft cloud services to launch worldwide game.
- Kelley Blue Book – Vehicle values provider saves $100,000 with easy-to-manage software-plus-services.
- Kia Motors – Car manufacturer launches website in the cloud, avoids $100,000 in capital expenses.
Capital Markets and Securities Industry
Examples of the Microsoft cloud case studies in capital markets and securities:
- Computershare – Investor communications specialist floats IPO platform into the cloud and cuts costs. – http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Windows-Azure/Computershare/Investor-Communications-Specialist-Floats-IPO-Platform-into-the-Cloud-and-Cuts-Costs/4000008997
Examples of the Microsoft cloud case studies in education:
- Curtin University – University controls costs, streamlines IT, and improves education with cloud platform. – http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Windows-Azure/Curtin-University/University-
- Dunamare Education Group – Dutch educators use unified communications to reduce costs and increase innovation. http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Case_Study_Detail.aspx?CaseStudyID=4000007595
- Eduify – Internet firm speeds time-to-market by 40 percent with startup support, "cloud" computing.
- New South Wales Department of Education and Training – New South Wales Education Department avoids A$200,000 infrastructure investment by hosting online science testing in the cloud.
Employment Placement Agencies
Examples of the Microsoft cloud case studies in employment agencies:
- OCC Match – Job-listing web site scales up solution, reduces costs by more than U.S. $500,000.
Energy and Environmental Agencies
Examples of the Microsoft cloud case studies in enery and environmental agencies:
- European Environment Agency (EEA) – Environment agency’s pioneering online tools bring revolutionary data to citizens.
Financial Services Industry
Examples of the Microsoft cloud case studies in the financial services industry:
- eVision Systems – Israeli startup offers cost-effective, scalable procurement system using cloud services.
Fiserv – Fiserv evaluates cloud technologies as it enhances key financial services offerings.
- NVoicePay – New company tackles big market with cloud-based B2B payment solution.
- RiskMetrics – Financial risk-analysis firm enhances capabilities with dynamic computing.
Food Service Industry
Examples of the Microsoft cloud case studies in the food service industry:
- Outback Steakhouse – Outback Steakhouse boosts guests loyalty with Facebook and Windows Azure.
Examples of the Microsoft cloud case studies in government agencies:
- Boulder County – County deploys collaborative social services tool, wait times drop from weeks to hours. – http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Case_Study_Detail.aspx?CaseStudyID=4000008098
- City of Edmonton – City government speeds time-to-market, reduces costs with cloud services solution. – http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Case_Study_Detail.aspx?CaseStudyID=4000008298
- City of Chicago – City engages public with cutting-edge interactive map for large annual festival. – http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Case_Study_Detail.aspx?CaseStudyID=4000006481
- City of Miami – City government improves service offerings, cuts costs with "cloud" services solution. – http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Case_Study_Detail.aspx?CaseStudyID=4000006568
- EastBanc – Firm uses cloud services to unify data from transit systems, improve access to schedules. – http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Windows-Azure/EastBanc-Technologies/Firm-Uses-Cloud-Services-to-Unify-Data-from-Transit-Systems-Improve-Access-to-Schedules/4000009148
- FreedomSpeaks – Social network uses cloud computing to connect citizens with elected officials.
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) – New NASA web site engages citizens to help explore Mars.
Office of Naval Research – Navy proves cloud service as viable solution for rapid, cost-effective innovation.
The Florida House of Representatives – State helps improve census counts, avoids $300,000 in capital costs with cloud services.
- Vernon Hills Police Department – Police department saves money and supports officers with video recording technology.
Examples of the Microsoft cloud case studies in healthcare:
- Vectorform – Digital design and technology firm supports virtual cancer screening with 3-D viewer.
High Tech and Electronics Manufacturing
Examples of the Microsoft cloud case studies in high tech and electronics manufacturing:
- 3M – 3M launches Web-based Visual Attention Service to heighten design impact. – http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Case_Study_Detail.aspx?CaseStudyID=4000005768
- GXS Trading Grid – Electronic services firm reaches out to new markets with cloud-based solution.
- iLink Systems – Custom developer reduces development time, cost by 83 percent for Web, PC, mobile target.
- Microsoft Worldwide Partner Group – Microsoft quickly delivers interactive cloud-based tool to ease partner transition.
- Sharpcloud – Software startup triples productivity, saves $500,000 with cloud computing solution.
- Symon Communications – Digital innovator uses cloud computing to expand product line with help from experts.
- VeriSign – Security firm helps customers create highly secure hosted infrastructure solutions.
- Xerox – Xerox cloud print solution connects mobile workers to printers around the world.
Examples of the Microsoft cloud case studies in hosting:
- Izenda – Hosted business intelligence solution saves companies up to $250,000 in IT support and development costs.
- Mamut – Hosting provider uses scalable computing to create hybrid backup solution.
- Metastorm – Partner opens new market segments with cloud-based business process solution.
- Qlogitek – Supply chain integrator relies on Microsoft platform to facilitate $20 billion in business.
- SpeechCycle – Next generation contact center solution uses cloud to deliver software-plus-services.
- TBS Mobility – Mobility software provider opens new markets with software-plus-services.
Examples of the Microsoft cloud case studies in the insurance industry:
- AXA Seguros – AXA Group relies on cloud services solution to efficiently manage insurance claims. – http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Case_Study_Detail.aspx?CaseStudyID=4000007933
Examples of the Microsoft cloud case studies in IT services:
- BEDIN Shop Systems – Luxury goods retailer gains point-of-sale solution in minutes with cloud-based system. – http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Case_Study_Detail.aspx?CaseStudyID=4000008195
- Broad Reach Mobility – Firm streamlines field-service tasks with cloud solution. – http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Windows-Azure/Broad-Reach-Mobility/Firm-Streamlines-Field-Service-Tasks-with-Cloud-Solution/4000008493
- Codit – Solution provider streamlines B2B connections using cloud services. – http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Microsoft-BizTalk-Server/Codit/Solution-Provider-Streamlines-B2B-Connections-Using-Cloud-Services/4000008528
- Cumulux – Software developer focuses on innovation, extends cloud services value for customers. – http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Case_Study_Detail.aspx?CaseStudyID=4000007947
- eCraft – IT firm links web applications to powerful business management software.
- EdisonWeb – Web firm saves $30,000 annually, expands global growth with cloud database service.
- Epicor – Software developer saves money, enhances application with Internet-based platform.
- ESRI – GIS provider lowers cost of customer entry, opens new markets with hosted services.
- Formotus – Forms automation company uses cloud storage to lower mobile data access costs.
- FullArmor – FullArmor PolicyPortal Technical Brief: A Windows Azure/Software-plus-Services Solution
- Gcommerce – Service provider transforms special-order process with a hybrid cloud and on-premises inventory solution.
- GoGrid – Hosting provider extends service offerings, attracts customers with "cloud" platform.
- Guppers – Mobile data services quickly and cost-effectively scale with cloud services solution.
- HCL Technologies – IT firm delivers carbon-data management in the cloud, lowers barriers for customers.
- HubOne – Australian development firm grows business exponentially with cloud services.
- IMPACTA – IT security firm delivers low cost, high protection with online file transfer service.
- Infosys – Infosys creates cloud-based solution for auto dealers using SQL data services.
- InterGrid GreenButton – GreenButton super computing power in the cloud.
- InterGrid – Software developers offer quick processing of compute-heavy tasks with cloud services.
- ISHIR Infotech – IT company attracts new customers at minimal cost with cloud computing solution.
- K2 – Software firm moves business processes and line-of-business data into the cloud.
- Kelly Street Digital – Digital marketing startup switches cloud providers and saves $4,200 monthly.
- Kompas Xnet – IT integrator delivers high-availability website at lower cost with online services.
- LINQPad – Software developers gain the ease of LINQ data queries to compelling cloud content.
- Meridium – Asset performance management solution increases performance and interoperability.
- metaSapiens – ISV optimizes data browsing tool for online data, expects to enter global marketplace.
- Microsoft – Microsoft IT moves auction tool to the cloud, makes it easier for employees to donate.
- NeoGeo New Media – Digital media asset management solution gains scalability with SQL Data Services.
- Paladin Data Systems – Software provider reduces operating costs with cloud-based solution.
- Persistent Systems – Software services provider delivers cost-effective e-government solution.
- Propelware – Intuit integration provider reduces development time, cost by 50 percent.
- Quilink – Innovative technology startup creates contact search solution, gains global potential.
- Siemens – Siemens expands software delivery service, significantly reduces TCO.
- Sitecore – Company builds compelling web experiences in the cloud for multinational organizations.
- SOASTA – Cloud services help performance-testing firm simulate real-world Internet traffic.
- Softronic – Firm meets demand for streamlined government solutions using cloud platform.
- SugarCRM – CRM vendor quickly adapts to new platform, adds global, scalable delivery channel.
- Synteractive – Solution provider uses cloud technology to create novel social networking software.
- Transactiv – Software start-up scales for demand without capital expenses by using cloud services.
- Umbraco – Web content management system provider moves solution to the cloud to expand market.
- Volantis – Mobile services ISV gains seamless scalability with Windows Azure platform.
- Wipro – IT services company reduces costs, expands opportunities with new cloud platform.Zitec – IT consultancy saves up to 90
- percent on relational database costs with cloud services.
- Zmanda – Software company enriches cloud-based backup solution with structured data storage.
Examples of the Microsoft cloud case studies in life sciences:
- Arzeda – Biotechnology firm scales up for compute-heavy processes by using cloud services. – http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Case_Study_Detail.aspx?casestudyid=4000007524
Examples of the Microsoft cloud case studies in manufacturing:
- Advanced Telemetry – Energy monitoring firm saves money, scales business with hosted computing platform. Case Study 1: http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Case_Study_Detail.aspx?CaseStudyID=4000005893 | Case Study 2: http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Windows-Azure/Advanced-Telemetry/Startup-Uses-Cloud-Computing-to-Change-Business-Model-Becomes-Instantly-Profitable/4000009076
- CASON – Industrial solutions supplier deploys monitoring application in the cloud. – http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Windows-Azure/CASON/Industrial-Solutions-Supplier-Deploys-Monitoring-Application-in-the-Cloud/4000009243
- General Mills – General Mills builds rich cooking application on latest operating system.
- INFORM – IT company quickly extends inventory sampling solution to the cloud, reduces costs.
- Invensys (SmartGrid) – Windows Azure AppFabric enables smart grid energy savings for manufacturers.
- Lockheed Martin – Lockheed Martin merges cloud agility with premises control to meet customer needs.
- Orion Energy Systems – Manufacturer uses cloud computing to solve customers’ needs, grow business.
Media and Entertainment Industry
Examples of the Microsoft cloud case studies in media and entertainment:
- OriginDigital – Video services provider to reduce transcoding costs up to half.
- Sir Speedy – Publishing giant creates innovative web based service for small-business market.
- STATS – Sports data provider saves $1 million on consumer market entry via cloud services.
- TicketDirect – Ticket seller finds ideal business solution in hosted computing platform.
- TicTacTi – Advertising company adopts cloud computing, gets 400 percent improvement.
- Tribune – Tribune transforms business for heightened relevance by embracing cloud computing.
- VRX Studios – Global photography company transforms business with scalable cloud solution.
Metal Fabrication Industry
Examples of the Microsoft cloud case studies in metal fabrication:
- ExelGroup – ExelGroup achieves cost reduction and efficiency increase with Soft1 on Windows Azure.
Examples of the Microsoft cloud case studies in non-profit organizations:
- Microsoft Disaster Response Team – Helping governments recover from disasters: Microsoft and partners provide technology and other assistance following natural disasters in Haiti and Pakistan.
Oil and Gas Industry
Examples of the Microsoft cloud case studies in oil and gas:
- The Information Store (iStore) – Solution developer expects to boost efficiency with software-plus-services strategy.
Examples of the Microsoft cloud case studies in professional services:
- Archetype – Interactive solution provider gains agility, conserves costs with hosted services. – http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Case_Study_Detail.aspx?CaseStudyID=4000005778
- CCH – Financial services ISV fosters flexibility and cost savings with hosted solution. – http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Case_Study_Detail.aspx?CaseStudyID=4000005716
- Dot Net Solutions – Systems integrator launches innovative software with minimal capital investment. – http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Case_Study_Detail.aspx?CaseStudyID=4000004847
- DreamFactory Software – Web application publisher combines data across clouds. – http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Case_Study_Detail.aspx?casestudyid=4000007105
- GXS – Developer boosts agility, reduces costs with web-based supply chain management tools.
- JUSTPROUD – Fashion platform achieves scalability and high performance with cloud services.
- Lokad – Company efficiently delivers advanced forecasts with scalable software-plus-services.
- Quosal – Software provider offers cloud-based database, sales job 50 percent.
- Sagastream – Video publisher chooses Windows Azure over Amazon EC2 for cost-effective scalability.
- Sopima – Software firm launches business contract service with lean staff, low investment.
- West Monroe – Partner develops interactive map in just two weeks with leading-edge technologies.
Examples of the Microsoft cloud case studies in publishing:
- MyWebCareer – Web startup saves $305,000, sees ever-ready scalability—without having to manage IT.
Examples of the Microsoft cloud case studies in retail:
- Glympse.com – Location-sharing solution provider gains productivity, agility with hosted services.
höltl Retail Solutions – German retail solutions firm gains new customers with cloud computing solution.
Examples of the Microsoft cloud case studies in software:
- Active Web Solutions (AWS) – Developer scales search-and-rescue application to help save more lives at sea. – http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Case_Study_Detail.aspx?CaseStudyID=4000005892
- Accumulus – Software vendor offers business intelligence in the cloud as a competitive difference. – http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Microsoft-SQL-Azure/Accumulus/Software-Vendor-Offers-Business-Intelligence-in-the-Cloud-as-a-Competitive-Difference/4000009546
- Alteryx – Analytics firm broadens customer choice, growth avenues with online data market. – http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Windows-Azure-Platform/Alteryx/Analytics-Firm-Broadens-Customer-Choice-Growth-Avenues-with-Online-Data-Market/4000008818
- Bing – Mapping service increases performance by 80 percent with global data center network. – http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Case_Study_Detail.aspx?CaseStudyID=4000007807
- Bing Games – Microsoft uses cloud solution to develop scalable gaming web services in record time.
- Cast Iron – Leading integration company speeds to market with cloud-to-cloud interoperation. – http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Case_Study_Detail.aspx?CaseStudyID=4000005931
- CoreMotives – Marketing automation company delivers scalable, viable solution with cloud services. – http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Case_Study_Detail.aspx?casestudyid=4000007608
- Datacastle – Software company helps customers secure data with scalable cloud solution. – http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Case_Study_Detail.aspx?CaseStudyID=4000008339
- DigitalDirect – Solution provider uses cloud-based data services to enable new online experiences. – http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Case_Study_Detail.aspx?CaseStudyID=4000003461
- Dundas Data Visualization – Data visualization firm uses data service to create contextualized business dashboards. – http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Microsoft-Silverlight/Dundas-Data-Visualization/Data-Visualization-Firm-Uses-Data-Service-to-Create-Contextualized-Business-Dashboards/4000009285
- Gestone – Startup successfully launches with highly scalable, security-enhanced cloud services.
- HRLocker – Software vendor offers cloud-based HR management solution, lowers costs by 77 percent.
- Intuit – Intuit expands development platform, brings cloud apps to millions of small businesses.
- JackBe – Software firm uses cloud data solution to promote real-time intelligence for business.
- Kentico – A move to the cloud benefits content management firm, its partners, and customers.
- MarginPro – Software company reduces IT maintenance and supports more revenue with cloud services.
- Open Text Corporation – Enterprise content management company to reach more customers with cloud computing.
- Multivector – Software firm achieves 50 percent growth with software-plus-services.
- Piryx – Startup shaves two months, $20,000 off development.
- QuantumID Technologies – Enterprise mobility tracking solutions provider grows business with cloud computing.
- Quest Software – Software development firm expands market reach with cost-efficient cloud services.
- Ravenflow – Software vendor expands the process visualization market with cloud-based service.
- Sobees – Social media service provider expands offering, attracts customers with cloud services.
- Softeng – Major IT provider deploys Web solution in the cloud, avoids thousands in costs.
- StorSimple – Startup delivers security-enhanced, cost-effective hybrid storage with cloud services.
- Tableau – Software developer delivers valuable service with easy-to-integrate data marketplace.
- Total Computer – Law enforcement application provides officers with rich functions and data.
- Total Computer Group – Microsoft partner uses cloud computing to lower law enforcement costs and accelerate growth opportunities.
- Zuora – Cloud-based billing solutions provider speeds delivery of innovative toolkit for ISVs.
Examples of the Microsoft cloud case studies in telecommunications:
- IntelePeer – Telecommunications firm develops solution to speed on-demand conference calls.
- SAPO – Portugal telecom subsidiary helps ensure revenue opportunities in the cloud.
- T-Mobile USA – Mobile operator speeds time-to-market for innovative social networking solution.
- T-Systems – Telecommunications firm reduces development and deployment time with hosting platform.
Examples of the Microsoft cloud case studies in training:
- Point8020 – Learning content provider uses cloud platform to enhance content delivery.
Transportation and Logistics Industry
Examples of the Microsoft cloud case studies in transportation:
- TradeFacilitate – Trade data service scales online solution to global level with "cloud" services model.
My Related Posts
- Cloud Defined
- Visual Model of Cloud Computing
- Cloud Scenarios Hub on TechNet
- Cloud Security Guide (Windows Azure Security Notes)
- Cloud Security Threats and Countermeasures at a Glance
- How Does Microsoft IT Do Cloud Computing
- User Stories for Cloud Enterprise Strategy
- Windows Azure Whitepaper Roundup
- ASP.NET Security Scenarios on Windows Azure