I have a guest post, Lessons in Software from James Waletsky, on Shaping Software. James is a Development lead at Microsoft, with several years of coaching teams on Agile practices and software engineering under his belt. Here is a summary of his lessons:
- Lesson 1. Keep it simple.
- Lesson 2. Define ‘done’.
- Lesson 3. Deliver incrementally and iteratively.
- Lesson 4. Split scenarios into vertical slices.
- Lesson 5. Continuously improve.
- Lesson 6. Unit testing is the #1 quality practice.
- Lesson 7. Don’t waste your time.
- Lesson 8. Features are not the most important thing.
- Lesson 9. Never trust anyone.
- Lesson 10. Reviews without preparation are useless.
You can read an explanation of the lessons in his post, Lessons In Software from James Waletzky.