A few people have asked me for an abstract on the patterns & practices Application Architecture Guide 2.0 project (a work in progress). Here it is.
A picture is worth a thousand words. Here’s the conceptual framework for the guide:
"How to put the legos together"
The purpose of the Application Architecture Guide 2.0 is to improve your effectiveness building applications on the Microsoft platform. The primary audience is solution architects and developer leads. The guide will provide design-level guidance for the architecture and design of applications built on the .NET Framework. It focuses on the most common types of applications, partitioning application functionality into layers, components, and services, and walks through their key design characteristics.
- Canonical app frame – describes at a meta-level, the tiers and layers that an architect should consider. Each tier/layer will be described in terms of its focus, function, capabilities, common design patterns and technologies.
- App Types – 5-7 canonical application archetypes to illustrate common application types. Each archetype will be described in terms of the target scenarios, technologies, patterns and infrastructure it contains. Each archetype will be mapped to the canonical app frame. They are illustrative of common app types and not comprehensive or definitive.
- Arch Frame – a common set of categories for hot spots for key engineering decisions.
- Quality Attributes – a set of qualities/abilities that shape your application architecture: performance, security, scalability, manageability, deployment, communication, etc.
- Principles, patterns and practices – Using the frames as backdrops, the guide will overlay relevant principles, patterns, and practices.
- Technologies and capabilities – a description/overview of the Microsoft custom app dev platform and the main technologies and capabilities within it.
- Help you choose the right architecture for your application.
- Help you choose the right technologies
- Help you make more effective choices for key engineering decisions.
- Help you map appropriate strategies and patterns.
- Help you map relevant patterns & practices solution assets.
My Related Posts