Have you seen Peaceful Warrior? It's a pretty simple movie, but it's full of lessons. Probably the most important lesson is how to keep getting back up when life knocks you down and how to continue to follow your dreams, even after your world is shattered. I shared my lessons learned from Peaceful Warrior with some colleagues and they suggested I post them. Here it goes ...
Where Are You, What Time is It, What Are You
This theme echoed throughout the movie:
- Where are you? .... HERE.
- What time is it? ... NOW.
- What are you? ... THIS MOMENT.
- There are no ordinary moments
- A Warrior acts; only a fool reacts.
- What do you do if you can’t do what you were born to do? Everything has a purpose -- it’s up to you to find it.
- Make every move about the move -- that one moment in time.
- Don't fall into the trap -- If only I had this, I'd be ... If only ... , I'd get to be happy.
- If you don't get what you want, you suffer. If you get what you want, you still suffer.
- You control you. Master you.
- Don't pin your success on outcomes.
- The people that are the hardest to love, probably need it the most.
- Take out the trash. Clear you mind of everything you don't need (doubt, past failures, future victories, ... etc.)
- Develop the wisdom to use the right leverage at the right time.
- Knowledge is not the same as wisdom. Knowledge is knowing -- wisdom is doing.
- You'll never be better than anybody, the same way you'll never be any less.
Additional Lessons Learned
Here’s my lessons from peaceful warrior:
- Experience the moment. Be fully engaged in the moment.
- Limiting beliefs. Don't become a victim of your own limiting beliefs. Stay adaptable.
- Don't miss out on what's going on by letting your mind fill up with noise.
- Trash is anything that keeps you from the only thing that matters which is right here and now.
- Be right here, right now. Don't be in the past, gloating. Be in the present living.
- All you have is right now.
- Let got of attachments.
- Meditate. Be able to clear you mind and focus on the moment.
- Don't let your emotions control you.
- Enjoy the here and now -- that's the secret.
- Savor the moment.
- Other people's perspectives don't matter as much if you have your own perspective.
- Find your purpose.
- Assign meaning. You're the most important meaning maker in your life.
- There's never nothing going on (take a look around.)
- Don't give up the one thing you control -- your response.
- The habit is the problem. Wake up and experience the moment.
- Be conscious of your choices.
- Be responsible for your actions.
- Every action has its price and it's pleasure.
- Most people don't live at all.
- When you feel fear, use this sword.
- Don't take for granted what you can do; don't be sloppy with your life.
- Devote life to a higher purpose; service to others.
- The warrior doesn't give up what they love.
- The warrior finds the love in what they do.
- The warrior is not about invincibility.
- The warrior chooses to act; the coward reacts.
- Life is about 20 seconds in front of the judges.
- A warrior does what they love. A warrior does the thing they are put here to do.
- Don't live in fear of failure
- It's the journey, not the destination.
- Warrior is not about perfection. Warrior is about absolute vulnerability.
- Life is about choice.
- Actions speak for themselves.