Hitting a wall? Sometimes pushing an idea from the inside-out, doesn’t work. Sometimes you need an outside-in approach. One of my mentors has a simple way to phrase this — "Use the system to educate."
- Use customers to educate your product teams (argue the customer data).
- Use your manager’s peers to educate your manager.
- Use surrounding teams to educate your team.
- Use other companies to educate your company.
- Use a consultant to change your group’s perspective.
- Use analysts to educate your domain.
It’s along the lines of "you can’t be a prophet in your hometown" … sometimes the change agent needs to be external.