What types of posts get traction? In a nutshell, posts that either hit the heart, lead you to "ah-has," consolidate insight, consolidate resources, or help you nail a task. Skellie outlines 7 Types of Blog Posts Which Always Seem to Get Links and Traffic.
Types of Posts
Skellie's list of types of posts:
- Resource lists
- Lists of tips
- Good advice
- Aguing a popular point of view
- Anything with a killer headline
- Q&As with high profile people
- Best of lists
Specialized Versions of Above
I think the following types of posts are variations of above, but worth calling out because of their prevalence on the Web:
- Link lists. This is a variation of "resource lists", but focused on links.
- Step by steps. This is a variation of "good advice", but provide prescriptive action.
- Top 10 lists. This is a variation of "lists of tips" but it's a numbered set.
Additional Types of Posts
In addition to the types of posts above, I think there's an additional set of patterns:
- Question / Feedback posts. Posts that ask the community a focused question.
- Stories with lessons learned.
- Blog carnival.
- Timely hot topic. Timely posts about a relevant topic.