I made some changes to my tag cloud and learned some lessons along the way:
- A few useful tags are more effective than a laundry list.
- If I have to choose between tags too often, consolidate and eliminate.
- If I’m not using my own tags, they aren’t working.
- If my tag cloud doesn’t visually reflect some hot spots, it’s broken.
- Use search for the long tails. Tag and browse for the big buckets.
I removed the following tags:
- Enterprise 2.0 (consolidated under Social Software)
- Information Management (consolidated under Guidance Engineering)
- Product Design (consolidated under Design)
- Requirements (consolidated under Design)
- User Experience
- Work Tips (consolidated under Effectiveness and Project Management)
I changed the following:
- Project -> My Projects
- Visual Studio Team System -> Team System
I’m not satisfied with my tag set yet, but I did find some of my old favorite posts. There’s still a few sets of posts that aren’t easy enough to get to, but I’ll have to think more about how to surface them.