WinFS designers on .NET show — what would you ask?

Robert Hess tells me the next episode of The .NET Show on MSDN will cover WinFS.  He’s interested in feedback on what topics you’d like to see covered.

His guests will be: Mike Deem, Quentin Clark, and Anil Nori.

What would you ask these guys about — the philosophy behind WinFS? How they design the schemas, data model or API? Questions around performance or security? Architectural guidelines on how to best leverage WinFS in your apps?  What you can do to prepare your apps today to use WinFS?

1. Louis Parks says:

Let Mike Deem know that his excellant blog posts on WinFS are missed.

I’m interested in the query language for talking to WinFS.

2. Though I’m frequenting the WinFS newsgroups a lot, I can’t make up anything interesting except THE question I’m most interested in but never got an answer on:

How will large (multimegabyte) binary data handled the "WinFS way"? For instance when it comes to audio files, uncompressed image data and all other sort of data that requires a lot of diskspace in its atomic form. The current only "WinFS way" is to access a byte array (System.Storage.Files.File.Stream[]). The more efficient way is currently the old way, which consists of retrieving the UNC path to the file (\localhostfolder[…]itemname) and then opening it oldskool by creating a FileStream with that path. The byte array design requires the system to load all data into memory, the FileStream way allows you to process little chunks and conserve memory. I’d like to know if that byte array design is finalized on file backed items or if there’ll be another method added to the File class, which will return a FileStream directly without the UNC path fiddling. Kinda like:

File file = …;

FileStream fileStream = file.GetFileStream();

3. Karl says:

I would like to know how it will handle transfering of files. From what I understand there will be metadata handlers that will try to serialize as many of the fields to the stream as possible, but what if I want to send some digital pictures to friends/fam that have had fields attached like who is in the picture and where it was taken. Will those fields simply be stripped and only the base stream will be sent? Or is there a way to send a WinFS "object"? I understand that there would be a lot of reference issues, like sending an object that references people who are not in the receivers contact list, would the object simply have bad references, or would it be able to request missing references?

Thanks!

4. I would like to know how PeerToPeer data persistence ties into WinFS. That is the ability to publish a file or database and have it shared with a number of subscribers. Kind of like offline files, but more distributed.

5. Kevin Dente says:

It would be nice to know how Longhorn and related Microsoft apps will leverage WinFS out of the box. Will IE store its favorites there? How about Windows Messenger and buddy lists? Windows Movie Maker? Outlook Express?

6. Paulo says:

Less talk and more live examples of real world scenearios, would be nice, and how and when, this techology will improve, dramatically, what developers do today for end users tomorrow.

Thanks

7. Paulo says:

Thanks

8. Jon Cortez says:

Maybe how I can use WinFS as a document repository (ala Windows Sharepoint Services)

9. Ken Brubaker says:

What are installation, deployment issues related to WinFS? Can you use any sort of scripting to load content?

Is there any sort of remote access to the Store?

10. Jeremy says:

thanks for all the excellent suggestions, keep ’em coming!