Okay, forget the easter eggs

Haven’t yet seen one person in favor of easter eggs, and in fact Tom points out that Microsoft’s own book on security best practices proscribes avoiding easter eggs.  So I’m willing to be swayed by the masses (or at least the few of you who posted comments or blogs 😉 that easter eggs should stay gone.  None the less, a few parting thoughts:

1) even those who oppose easter eggs said they remember fondly the Excel 3D game easter eggs

2) Is there any other feature of Excel that anyone remembers fondly?  I wonder if people ever reminisce about the great look of the menu bar in Excel 97, or the lovely properties dialog in Word 95.  Easter eggs, even if they are nothing more than a creative way to put your name in lights, do bring some character to apps and put a bit of a human face on software.  User benefit? Nil.  Unless you liked playing the 3D game 😉

3) I think it’s great if a programmer feels sufficiently proud of her work to want to assoicate her name with it forever (the Mac signature thing is a striking example of this, to me.)

So, RIP, easter eggs.  What we’ve gained in app stability and rigid engineering process (which, admittedly, benefits users and sells software,) we’ve lost in fun and character (which admittedly does neither).

1. Louis Parks says:

The Excel game was cool, I suppose, but I preferred the eggs from the Trident team.

2. KC Lemson says:

I’m a fan of easter eggs… only because I get a kick out of seeing my name in them. No more, though, shucks.

3. Ferris Beuller says:

I guess since you are a suporter of rogue code in applications and you are on the Exchange product, its going to be a Lemon 😀

4. David Cumps says:

A little easter egg like "click 2 times there and press that key" to show a nice graphic with some devs names one doesn’t hurt anyone, and it does give an app a little bit of humour.

Maybe someone could give the arguments that speak against easter eggs? Does it damage your code? Or kill people? If you’re against them, don’t try them out, don’t look for them, … Don’t really see the problem of why there should be a ‘movement’ against them

5. Ferris Beuller says:

Show me the designs for this easter egg, what If i was aquiring a product, guess what OMG undocumented code, shit, what have we bought.

6. Ferris Beuller says:

Do we the customers WANT this? Obviously you dont take us seriously enough. Maybe we should shop elsewhere. Where is your food comeing from again?

7. David Cumps says:

Obviously you don’t represent all the customers. As there are folks who appreciate them… You really don’t like arguments, do you? Only treaths.

8. Matt Povey says:

Sorry about this but…

"proscribes avoiding" is a double negative which implies that MS actively encourage Easter Eggs.

I think you meant "prescribes avoiding".

Sorry sorry sorry. I couldn’t let it pass though 😉

9. Ivan says:

Damn. And I just wanted to see eggs in Office 2003.

10. Paul Haskew (MVP) says:

Easter Eggs rock… I look for them in just about every program, if I don’t seem them, I just pop on to google or msn and search for where they are at!

Rouge code? hog wash!! its usually a graphic… sheesh

11. Ian M says:

Easter Eggs Are harmless fun and should not of been removed, They are not ‘rogue’ code as one geek trys to make out.. and what’s this about…… "OMG lets check for other supprises, who knows what malicous intend was there. Its called TRUST. YACK YACK BLAH "trustworthy computing" BLAH BLAH "Microsoft is good" BLAH BLAH.. "

If you don’t like MS, then F**k off and use someone else’s products.. Trust…. and while we’re talking about un-documented code… since when do MS document ANY of their code, i wish i could get my hands on the source code for every other function in MS products, which from your post, it appears you can…..

As usual this is a case of computer geeks not having a f**kin life or a sense of humour.

12. egg hunter says:

Microsoft can document the heck out of the easter egg code. Easter Eggs are for the consumer to have a little fun with. The undocumented code argument is below lame at best. As long as Microsoft knows it’s there and knows it poses no security threat, then it should be allowed.

13. David says:

By banning easter eggs from Microsoft software, these ppl have sucsessfully removed a humane aspect of software….

i mean get a life ! Mozilla has easter eggs, google has easter eggs. and these people dont seem to be doing badly because of easter eggs !

and whats this sh*t about rouge codes ! If i wanted to put a rogue code in a software ! get a fu*kin’ sense of humour ! its just some graphics with names on it !

14. Channel 9 says:

Short answer, yes. Do a search for ‘easter eggs’ by me, Manip in the coffeehouse.