Car 1 : Carbon Bike 0 : Josh OK

I posted my experience being hit and run by a car yesterday on my personal blog.  I’m posting the link here as a cautionary tale for other softies I know bike to work regularly.

I saw a red car out of the corner of my eye quickly cut in-front of me and attempt to turn right onto the cross street without a signal. They did this, without knowing that I was right next to them. I slammed on both brakes, but careened into their right front passenger door. I was lucky the force of the collision unclipped me from the pedals. I flew onto the hood of their car and I heard their tires skid from the brakes. When the car stopped my momentum flung me off of the hood and onto the pavement.

Source: Yesterday I was hit by a car while biking to work – Josh Ledgard’s Personal Blog

1. BillBail says:

That bites!  Glad to hear you’re ok– please don’t let this discourage you from biking.  Syl and I will be watching for the car like a hawk 🙂

2. Erik Porter says:

Wow, man…that sucks…glad you’re generally ok!

3. MSDNArchive says:

Thanks Bill & Eric

4. saraford says:

nothing like being at a conference when you find out that your manager has been hit by a car on his bike.  (i had called josh to find out what the daily food / drinks limit was.  hey, it’s sonoma – wine country.)  I’m kinda glad i wasn’t there for the scrum; otherwise, we would have had scrum in my car on the way to the ER.

yeah, i’m surprised the firemen let you leave the scene.  shock can be a very wonderful thing.

5. Chandana says:

Wow! Josh, glad you are doing well. Hope you have a good recovery.

6. MSDNArchive says:

Thanks Chandana!  I’m recovering well.  Should be fully healed and ready to be back to normal in a week or so.

7. MSDNArchive says:

8. Arnie Rowland says:

My worst nightmare when biking. Glad you survived ok -the bike, while an important extension of your sense of self, is replaceable.

And as a mentor of mine used to often say, keep the shiny side up!

Now for that ‘helmet cam’…

9. MSDNArchive says:

Thanks Arnie! Yup, I’m looking for a good replacement bike. Better than shopping for a replacement knee. 🙂

10. Ben says:

Hey i was hit the same day, on the same road, where NE inglewood hill road meets east lake sammamish parkway NE. I was on a crosswalk and i had the right away and the car came down and hit me. i stood up and got my bike, started screaming at this man, and then he drove off towards redmond. I also didnt think about getting his plate numbers. I didnt get hurt bad either, my hip was scraped and bruised, and i had small musscle spasms. i will look out for the car that hit you if you look out for the one that hit me. deal? It was a biege sedan with a dent on the front bumper. I am also presenting a request to the city to improve the intersection for safety of pedestrians and bikers. I hope you get well soon and can replace your bike.

11. MSDNArchive says:

@Ben – Crazy story. I’ll be on the lookout during my stakeouts.

That intersection (the one you got hit not mine) is one that really scares me during my commute every day.  I think there have been at least 2 biker deaths in the last 5 years there.