I’ve been tagged by
I’ve been tagged byBrain Harry in the 5 things you may not know about me meme.
1. I love cooking… and not just because Gretchen leaves the kitchen looking like a tornado hit after producing grilled cheese sandwiches. Her Christmas gifts to me included subscriptions to Cooking Light & Food and Wine magazine. I find shows like Top Chef and Iron Chef America inspiring and love trying to come up with themes for new tasty meals.
2. I grew up in New England outside of Providence, attended school in Nashville because Vanderbilt sent me the most mail, and moved to Seattle after graduating. I miss the New England fish and chips on Fridays, the southern BBQ any day of the week, and inexpensive ice coffee. I do love the weather out here… unless the road leading up to our house is a skating rink.
3. My uncle, Henry Ledgard, was on the team that created the Ada programming language. I hadn’t really thought anything of it until I interviewed for an internship at a small software shop in R.I. that developed testing and code coverage software for the Ada systems in use at Raytheon and Electric Boat. Towards the end of the interview they pulled out his "Ada: A First Introduction" book and asked if I could have it signed. I did get the job. Henry’s best book, however, is probably "Programming Proverbs". It demonstrates, ahead of it’s time for 1975, the importance of writing readable code.
4. You could say I had my first blog at the age of 12. My friends and I published a few issues of a video game magazine that was distributed at local video stores. We didn’t make much (any) money on the project, but I learned that I enjoyed having people read my rantings.
5. I recently realized how much I would love subscription music with my Zune Pass. Until someone decides they want to lose money giving away free unrestricted mp3s… this is they way to go. Sure, I don’t get to keep the music, but there is also no false belief that the music I download is mine since I view it more like Netflix. I’ll just keep buying my favorite tracks in CD form and rent all the music I want in the meantime.