Are Categories Useful? Please Excuse the Construction

I'm bored with the look of my blog again. I'm going to be mucking around a bit over the weekend so don't be alarmed if things look a little off or it doesn't render correctly in firefox for a bit. Yes, I will test it when I'm done. 🙂

I also wanted to know if people see value in keeping the list of categories on the side? I find I generally just search to find my old posts. I would still want to categorize my posts, but I'm not sure people care if I leave them on the side or not.  I hardly ever see any refferers from that those sub-pages and want the real estate for more interesting information like "recent comments" or a search box.

Let me know what you think.

1. Joku says:

At the moment, I do not really care for the info on the side as it is in small black letters which fade into the background color.. Makes one want to avoid trying to read it.

On a lower resolution, one has to also scroll the page a lot to find the blogs you link to etc. Could be useful to add one line menu bar on the top, below the "stick-wielder", where you have links to "Archives" etc pages. However I am not a web-designer so do not pay too much attention 😉

2. Mr Blobby says:

I find functoriality most useful in my work. The categorical formulation of sheaf cohomology is rather elegant.

3. Keep the categories. I started reading your blog a few months ago (probably still have to go through all your posts). Being passionate about testing, my preferred reading is articles on testing. Having "testing" in your post categories helped a lot.

4. Joku says:

I see you got the appearance updated, like this one more functional than the one before.

5. josh says:

This is only the first step. I’m still experimenting. But thanks for the early feedback.

6. Mat Hall says:

"Yes, I will test it when I’m done. :-)"

Typical Microsoft, leaving the important bit until last… 🙂

7. Josh Ledgard says:

Well, I might as well get it right for 80+ % of the readers before another 10%. 🙂

8. Joku says:

There’s something horribly gone wrong in the html of the

Almost all text has moved below the left side menu and for example the submit button is invisible.. And I liked the setup where either archives or categories was on the right side of the page. Though feel free to have it anyway you like best 🙂

9. Vic Berggren says:

headline surfer… read that to be; looking down the middle of the page.

Comments are closed.